Author Topic: Cannot start Avast, Error: 10107  (Read 4825 times)

vyeng

Cannot start Avast, Error: 10107
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:31:23 PM »
Hi all,

I am getting the following error message when attempting to manually start Avast on Windows 2000 SP4:

"Error basInitLibrary - initialization of basic library failed! Check out INI file or install program again, please. Error: 10107"

The laptop computer had been previously infected by multiple viruses, spywares, and trojans that somehow preventing the internal DVD/floppy combo and pcmcia ethernet hardware from functioning. The viruses also corrupted the Symantec Antivirus software.

So I uninstalled Symantec, ran OS in Safe Mode, installed Avast, and ran boot scan to delete infected viruses. Now everytime I start my computer, Avast will not loaded. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Avast a couple of times without any success.

I am planning on reformatting the hard drive and installing Windows XP SP2, but wanted to know if there is an alternative solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot start Avast, Error: 10107
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 08:26:04 PM »
Well the windows error number and the description for it isn't very helpful (as usual).   
  Error: 10107 "A system call that should never fail has failed. "

Firstly Symantec (or was this Norton AV) might have left some stuff behind after the uninstall which probably won't help. I'm not sure what might be the result of running avast's install in safe mode. It would be usual to install as the administrator (if multiple users) or single user with admin rights.

However if you are considering installing windows XP SP2 you would almost certainly be better of formatting and doing a clean install of XP rather than an update from win2k. Obviously you would need to back-up your data.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 08:39:37 PM »

Welcome to the forums, vyeng.    :)

Anything Symantec/Norton does not uninstall correctly by using the standard uninstall methods. The files/registry entries left behind will foul any other anti-virus program. Please use the tool recommended in this post ......

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18831.msg159343#msg159343

Once you have completely uninstalled Symantec, restart your computer and then ......

uninstall Avast > restart computer > install Avast > restart computer

But, as David mentions, if you are going to install XP SP2 anyway, it would be better to do as he suggests.

I hope this helps you.    :)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 04:13:02 AM by CharleyO »

vyeng

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:50:01 PM »
The reason I wanted a virus scanner installed is because the user has some program data that needed to be backed up. I just wanted to make sure no viruses and trojans are transfered along with the backups.

I have decided to reformat and reinstall OS on it now. Hopefully all the problems will dissappear.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:26:27 PM »
You could back-up to CD / DVD perhaps and when you have XP installed create a folder 'suspect' and copy the backed-up data there and scan the suspect folder, you may even get an alarm from avast as files are created (and scanned by avast).

If no problems your data is fine.

Welcome to the forums and Good Luck.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security