Author Topic: WinXP sp3 running in VMWare Workstation Pro 15.x uses 100% CPU of the guest OS.  (Read 3465 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

REDACTED

  • Guest
After Avast last upgrade, I found that if the host OS Win7Pro Avast free anti virus "enable hardware-assisted virtualization" option is enabled (default), my Windows XP virtual machine guest OS cpus are at 100% all the time, making it useless. Disabling the "hardware assisted virtualization" option restores the virtual machine functionality (requires rebooting).
The host OS is not affected at all.
I didn't notice any problem running a virtual machine with guest OS Window 7 Pro.

Notice that the referred antivirus the the one installed in the host machine, not in the guest.

Other users at VMWare forum have reported the same problem.

(Avast 17.2.2288 (buid 17.2.3419.59
 - Virus def. 170314-0
VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.3 build-5115892
Host OS version: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1
Guest OS: Windows XP service Pack 3 - 32 bit fully upgraded

I hope Avast can find a fix for this problem.
May be this post can help others with the same problem.

REDACTED

  • Guest
Thankyou for posting this, we have been struggling with this issue for the past month on all laptops with Avast running.

Offline bob3160

  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • *****
  • Posts: 48707
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Reported to Avast developers.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

  • Guest
Re: WinXP sp3 running in VMWare Workstation Pro 12.x uses 100%
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
same issue. solved after some investigations dayz.
now works like a charm.
definitely an avast issue.