Author Topic: Windows 10 32-bit Issue  (Read 2382 times)

REDACTED

Windows 10 32-bit Issue
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:53:38 AM »
I have an endpoint which is running Windows 10 Home 32-bit. This user was experiencing an issue where almost none of their startup items were loading and they couldn't run any software once the computer booted.

I've uninstalled (using AvastClear) and reinstalled, but the problem still persisted. Disabling the behavior shield is what fixed this problem. I think that Avast's behavior shield is malfunctioning on 32-bit Windows 10.

REDACTED

Re: Windows 10 32-bit Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:35:13 AM »
It sounds exactly like what is happening here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=198289.0 with Temp Profiles.

A Temp Profile will not have the user's normal startup items etc and quite possibly have other undesirable effects (eg "can't run any software" could be Outlook unable to open mail because there's no mail configuration, etc).

Keep track of the thread, and yes, it seems to be a good chance the Behavior Shield is the culprit and if leaving it disabled works for you until a fix is released then so be it :)

Offline PetrP

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »
I have an endpoint which is running Windows 10 Home 32-bit. This user was experiencing an issue where almost none of their startup items were loading and they couldn't run any software once the computer booted.

I've uninstalled (using AvastClear) and reinstalled, but the problem still persisted. Disabling the behavior shield is what fixed this problem. I think that Avast's behavior shield is malfunctioning on 32-bit Windows 10.

Hello,

can you confirm if it's the same issue as GFM suggested? If not can you tell us more about their setup? What sw specifically? Did reboot help?

Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 08:37:34 PM »

Hello,

can you confirm if it's the same issue as GFM suggested? If not can you tell us more about their setup? What sw specifically? Did reboot help?

Thanks

PetrP,

No, this doesn't appear to be the same issue. The user didn't have any problems with their profile and this particular user isn't bound to a domain. The only thing that solved it was to create a separate group with the same settings, save for disabling the Behavior Shield. Once this change went into effect, the user's issue went away completely. I have not experienced any other issues on Windows 10 64-bit instances (Home, Pro, or Enterprise), either bound or not bound to a domain.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 05:14:27 AM »
It does sound like the same problem but manifesting itself in a less obvious way. 

Avast are working on fixing the broken Behavior Shield.  I'd suggest leaving it off (as you have already done) until the update is released.  There is a very good chance your problem will be fixed along with it. 

Keep your eye on the other threads for updates on the problem.