Author Topic: Sometimes Windows won't load until after a safe load  (Read 3350 times)

Tomtom

Sometimes Windows won't load until after a safe load
« on: February 23, 2006, 06:10:33 AM »
Sometimes my computer running Windows XP Home SP2 and up to date, with Zone Alarm, Avast 4 Home (latest) and MS Antispy, stops loading soon after the Avast symbol in the tray appears (and usually MS bullseye) but  before Zone Alarm. If the Avast symbol freezes before the completed start up, I know that the computer will never finish loading and that further attempts will also fail unless I use safe load. Is there an imcompatibility problem with the other programs and does anyone else have this problem?

From memory, it did not happen before I updated Avast to the latest version. Taking the system back to a previous date does not help as the problem eventually recurs. Uninstalling Zone Alarm does not help but I have not tried uninstalling Avast and reinstalling.

Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Sometimes Windows won't load until after a safe load
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 01:45:28 PM »
Uninstalling Zone Alarm does not help
This is bad... but you should try uninstalling avast and test.

Is there any error message?
Into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, is there any significant info?
The best things in life are free.

Tomtom

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 06:05:29 AM »
Thanks Tech, I guess I'll have to download the install prog and reinstall after uninstalling. I was trying to avoid that in case I stuffed up the registration key or something worse.

Tom

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 09:13:38 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Tomtom.    :)

Be sure to copy down your present registration key before uninstalling as this key will still be valid with a new install.

Your key is good for 14 months even if you uninstall and re-install several times.    :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 09:42:06 PM »
I was trying to avoid that in case I stuffed up the registration key or something worse.
Tom. It won't have any problem using the same registration key as before.
It won't have problem is you register again and use a new one either...  8)
The best things in life are free.

Tomtom

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 03:49:55 AM »
I am now satisfied that Nortons AV was the problem. It had been uninstalled but there was still stuff left which couldn't be uninstalled. I think SNDsrvc.exe which is Nortons but is suspected by some of being associated with viruses, maybe because it get changed or replaced by a virus, was the main problem. The Task Manager showed SNDsrvc.exe was running even though there was nothing in the Start Menu to have started it.

Anyway, to finally get rid of Nortons you may need to create a new user account, reload as that user and then uninstall and/or delete Norton folders and programs. Then run a registry cleaner (I use regseeker) before doing a restart. I did not reload Avast and there is now no problem.

I have now added Ewido after reading this forum and have changed to Windows Defender from MSAntispy. So far all is well.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 04:09:28 AM »

A belated welcome to the forums, Tomtom.    :)

Had we known that you use to have Norton, we would have mentioned using the tool mentioned in this post by DavidR ......

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18831.msg159343#msg159343

Anyway, glad to know you have it sorted out and working correctly.    :)