Author Topic: System Tray Icon  (Read 2932 times)

Basnik

System Tray Icon
« on: March 11, 2006, 03:01:59 AM »
i used 2 have an animated A icon in my system tray but it has now dissapeared  :( - i was just wondering if some of u had exprienced the same thing and is so how do i fix this  :-\ ?? i run WIN XP Home Edition and ZoneAlarmPro Firewall 2gether with Avast Free  :)

CharleyO

Re: System Tray Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:12:27 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Basnik.    :)

Please try a repair of avast first and if this does not fix the problem, we can move to the next step. Follow this path ......

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove > select avast anti-virus > click Change/Remove > scroll down left pane & select Repair > OK > follow directions and restart your computer after all is finished.

Basnik

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 08:02:42 AM »
i already tried that more than once - and it is not working ...  ??? :-\

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:42:33 PM »
Repair rarely works in restoring the system tray icons.

What other security based programs do you have, SpySweeper (anti-spyware) previously identified incorrectly the ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface) and stopped it.

As a temporary measure you can create a desktop shortcut to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4ashDisp.exe navigate to the file in windows explorer and right click the file and select Send To, Desktop (shortcut).

If you have no other security programs that any be causing this problem try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 08:44:39 PM »
Download avast! External Control clicking on 'Control' in my signature.
Unzip it and run.
You'll see avast! tweaker option.
Choose to show system tray icon and let us see if it helps.

Another way to fix the problem, just add the path to ashDisp.exe into
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(as the value named avast!).

Are you by any chance using spysweeper?
If so, use the restore/recover or whatever it may be called to restore the deleted registry entry and update your definitions file for spysweeper. It reports incorrectly (false positive) the avast ashDisp.exe which is the icon you see on your system tray.
Other programs that can block are the startup monitors: PrevX, ProcessGuard, WinPatrol, TeaTimer, Ad-watch, etc.

For the 'i' icon (VRDB): http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14356.msg121337#msg121337
The best things in life are free.