Author Topic: Firewall leaktests 2006  (Read 25387 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firewall leaktests 2006
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 01:35:34 AM »
Even better it couldn't find explorer.exe on my system ;D

Even if it had I also have explorer.exe permanently blocked by my firewall, I don't want it to connect to the internet, that is what I have a browser or ftp program for.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mike6688

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 02:10:50 AM »
Sunbelt Kerio failed the test   :'(

Guess I will try comodo again like I said earlier, unless Sunbelt Kerio are releasing an update or something like what was mentioned earlier in the post:

Mike
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 03:12:42 PM by mike6688 »

pepeaida

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 02:55:47 AM »
As I mentioned before I have two left hands about pcs...now lets see if I understood about the report on Firewalls....I have the one that is within my W x64  version...if rating was interpreted right by me I only have a ""puffwall" instead of a firewall...LOL
Please confirm me if so, I will scram away from Windows "firestep"and look a real one for protection...
Thanking all of u in advance...
Pepe

CharleyO

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 03:21:33 AM »

The firewall in XP is only half a firewall providing only inbound protection. Outbound protection is also needed to prevent malicious programs from leaving your computer. These malicious program do not come from only the internet. They can also be found on commercially available software cd's or possiblely from a cd someone made and gave to you.

If you are not familar with firewalls in general, I would suggest you try ZoneAlarm Free. It is generally user-friendly and generally trouble free after a few days of "teaching" it what to let out and what to keep in.

There a few other free firewalls in use by others on this forums. Perhaps some of them will also be suggested.

I hope this helps you.    :)

mike6688

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 04:00:10 PM »
Hi Pepeaida,

Some of the free firewalls people on the forums recommend are:

ZoneAlarm, Sunbelt Kerio, NetVeda, Outpost, Comodo and Jetico.

I would advise you only use Jetico and Comodo if you want a very advanced firewall and are prepared to deal with a lot of popups at first during the learning stages.  The other firewalls also may be like this but give an option to automatically choose what is best based on their preconfigured rules.

It depends on your preferences and what you require which firewall you choose and you may want to search the forums for more information and visit company websites.

Mike

neonSurge

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 07:50:03 PM »
Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 has passed all of the leak tests mentioned in the site www.firewallleaktester.com in my tests. I recommend everyone to test by themselves.
Unlike jetico, Comodo also gives much more comprehensive information about the details of the leak attempts and it is not disturbing with flooded popups. Comodo is much like Outpost Pro.

Comodo is the only one which passes "jumper" leak tests mentioned on that site! I recommend everybody to give Comodo 2 a try.

Jarmo P

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 08:14:16 PM »
IMO, passing the leaktests, is nothing to a good firewall.
They not that important.
Main thing is inbound protection.

If you run some firewall, hard rules to make to make it working.
Then somewhere on the way, bad rule or allowance also to make?
You make that one? You do a bad rule?
It is just, bad rulemakers and bad behaving firewalls :P

So my advice is for your folks to stick to what firewall forks for you, and forget the leaktests ;(

« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:18:46 PM by Jarmo P »

Omar

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 08:44:04 PM »
Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 has passed all of the leak tests mentioned in the site www.firewallleaktester.com in my tests. I recommend everyone to test by themselves.
Unlike jetico, Comodo also gives much more comprehensive information about the details of the leak attempts and it is not disturbing with flooded popups. Comodo is much like Outpost Pro.

Comodo is the only one which passes "jumper" leak tests mentioned on that site! I recommend everybody to give Comodo 2 a try.

I was very impressed when it passed the leak tests!

however my avast detected a trojan with one of the tests!

neal62

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 08:53:13 PM »
I use Sunbelt Kerio P.F. If you use this application then you should be able to go into your "Networking" setup, security applications, advanced mode instead of "simple mode". There in advanced mode if you will tell all incoming and outgoing applications to "ask" and not just allow this will result I believe in Kerio passing the leak test. Thought I would pass this on.  :)

mike6688

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 10:38:59 PM »

I agree to give Comodo a try.  ;D

neonSurge just wondering if this was the default settings for Comodo?

IMO, passing the leaktests, is nothing to a good firewall.
They not that important.
Main thing is inbound protection.

If you run some firewall, hard rules to make to make it working.
Then somewhere on the way, bad rule or allowance also to make?
You make that one? You do a bad rule?
It is just, bad rulemakers and bad behaving firewalls :P

So my advice is for your folks to stick to what firewall forks for you, and forget the leaktests ;(

Personally I disagree.  Yes a firewall needs good inbound protection but even the best could let, say, a Trojan through.
If this Trojan then then tried to connect to the internet it could be blocked or a message displayed to the user unless it either used an exploit identified by the leaktests or had no outbound protection.
Therefore, outbound protection is important and a good firewall should have some sort of it otherwise you probably would have little idea that a Trojan or something else is on your computer watching your every move.

Mike  ;)

PS I'm not suggesting you should change your firewall this is up to you, your needs and your preferences.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:41:32 PM by mike6688 »

timcan

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2006, 12:58:50 AM »
As I mentioned before I have two left hands about pcs...now lets see if I understood about the report on Firewalls....I have the one that is within my W x64  version...if rating was interpreted right by me I only have a ""puffwall" instead of a firewall...LOL
Please confirm me if so, I will scram away from Windows "firestep"and look a real one for protection...
Thanking all of u in advance...
Pepe
pepeaida, you may want to make sure whichever firewall you may choose will operate on your x64 bit OS.For sure the tiny firewall is but isn't free.

neonSurge

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2006, 05:13:37 AM »
neonSurge just wondering if this was the default settings for Comodo?

Yes i have just downloaded and installed the Comodo firewall. I did not touch anything after the installaions except answering a few popups.
Then i have downloaded the leak tests from the site and run them.  Comodo passed all of them except breakout-2 (although i am not sure.)

mike6688

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2006, 10:01:47 PM »
Thanks, neonSurge I just wanted to see this as I have left Comodo to its default settings other than a few minor changes

Mike

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2006, 03:04:23 AM »
A Comment From Us (http://www.thundercloud.net/infoave/archives2005/week-203.htm)

Important News About Comodo Firewall - We Are No Longer Recommending It!

As most of you know, the free firewalls are suddenly not free any longer. While it appears that Kerio will once again be offering a free version someday (they were recently purchased by Sunbelt software) they do not offer one as of this writing. Recently, in our quest to find a good free firewall, we came across "Comodo" firewall. We tested it and found it to work well and began to recommend it to our readers. We did our research on the program but not on the company that makes it. We have since learned that the same company that makes the Comodo Firewall, also makes an Internet Explorer Toolbar called, paradoxically, "Trust Toolbar". It appears that the Trust Toolbar is anything but trustworthy. In fact it's recognized by SpySweeper and other good anti-spyware as questionable software product and a browser/start page hijacker. While we never recommended the "Trust Toolbar" we did recommend the Comodo Firewall, not realizing that the company that makes both products was the same. Effective immediately we are not recommending the Comodo Firewall. Even though there is no evidence that there is anything questionable about Comodo Firewall we cannot support any company who makes spyware/adware/malware or any kind of questionable software at all. TC & EB

http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=1775

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2006, 03:19:59 AM »
While it appears that Kerio will once again be offering a free version someday (they were recently purchased by Sunbelt software) they do not offer one as of this writing.
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall is a freeware right now.
The paid version has additional privacy features.

Edited as rdmaloyjr asked...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:23:06 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.