Author Topic: 2 anti-viruses conflict if disabled ??  (Read 3916 times)

mike6688

2 anti-viruses conflict if disabled ??
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:52:27 PM »
Hi,

I read on the forums (sorry don't know where exactly) that having more than one anti virus - even if one is completely disabled can cause conflicts.

I knew that having two running together could cause conflicts, but I always thought it safe to have a second as long as it is disabled.

Is this the case?

I ask this because I have a suite - PCguard - from my ISP (Telewest) that contains a number of security features (including anti-virus) which I use for a firewall and and a privacy and password manager.  The anti-virus is turned off as I prefer to use Avast.

Any reply is appreciated, Thank you.
Mike.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 2 anti-viruses conflict if disabled ??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 01:44:16 AM »
But I always thought it safe to have a second as long as it is disabled.
Is this the case?
If the first one is disabled by a virus, who will enable the second?
After the infection, will help in anyway enabling it?
No, I think the second (non-resident) scanner should be used by advanced user for testing, comparison, etc. Not for security reasons.

The anti-virus is turned off as I prefer to use Avast.
And if I were you, I'll let the things like they are  8)

If you want a second antivirus (non-resident) to use with avast, I recommend, BitDefender (free) and ClamWin (DO NOT INSTALL THE EMAIL PLUGIN).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 01:46:18 AM »
Whilst I don't know what functions PCguard has, but as a general rule having to resident AVs installed isn't a good idea. Some AVs can be used as stand alone on-demand scanners as a back-up to avast.

So some may be OK in that respect, however, some AVs even when disabled will have registry entries that avast may detect and avast has no way of knowing that this AV won't be enabled at a time after avast is running. In those cases avast may not fully install to avoid any conflict.

There are some AVs even after they have been uninstalled leave behind registry entries that can cause problems even after it has gone.

Unfortunately there isn't any way to be sure other than test it for yourself, some suites allow for either disablement or even an uninstall of an element like the anti-virus (that would be best).

You will also find that there aren't many in the forums who are supporters of the suite option. They would rather be able to decide what AV or Firewall, etc. best suits their requirements, or is best in that field, rather than a Jack of all trades Master of none suite.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 03:22:54 AM »

Yep, I have to agree with Tech & David.    :)

In the case of 2 anti-virus & 2 firewall programs, two is one too many.    ;)

mike6688

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 05:23:02 PM »
OK, thank you for the replies,

So the best thing will probably be to uninstall PCguard and go for a standalone firewall - rather than the one that comes with the suite?

I was thinking of Netveda Safety.Net as it looks good - does anyone know of this firewall?
http://www.netveda.com/consumer/safetynet.htm

Another thing if the firewall has intrusion detection is it best to turn the Network Shield of in Avast.

Thanks again,
Mike

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 06:18:53 PM »
Leave Network Shield enabled, it doesn't get in the way and uses minimal resources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

ISPs
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 06:21:06 PM »
 :)  Hi Mike6688 :

The only thing you should use provided by an ISP is to
     connect to the net; more & more ISPs are "offering"
     additional "services", such as antivirus, antispyware, even
     firewall(s) , that they buy from someone else, to attract
     more customers and/or not lose the ones they have.
     As to firewalls, we usually recommend Zone Alarm, Kerio,
     & even the abandoned Sygate, in this forum . As to
    "netveda", you would be wise to use this forum's "search"
     feature to find threads on this .

mike6688

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:20:57 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.

I have now uninstalled PCguard and I am now using ZoneAlarm.  I have noticed some improvement in my PC as well so I guess there was some conflict beforehand.

ZoneAlarm is great product and with Avast they make a great team.

Once again thank you,
Mike.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 01:39:28 AM »
Your welcome, glad we could help.