Author Topic: spywareguard 2.2  (Read 3750 times)

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
spywareguard 2.2
« on: March 18, 2006, 07:10:43 PM »
today i went to download com and seen spywareguard 2.2 released 3-16-06,i guess finally theres a new version out?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: spywareguard 2.2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »
Where did you find that?
I can only see http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
that the same behavior remains: If you are worried about potential compatibility issues with SpywareGuard, we recommend you download SpywareBlaster instead.
The best things in life are free.

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:56:48 PM »
Its the same version 2.2 that's been out for a while, but it looks like it was just added to the download.com site on 3/16/06.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:32:36 PM »
tech,security-spyware,adware removal on download com,its way outdated suprised that they would add an oudated program like that?

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:52:26 PM »

Be not surprised at anything like that on download(dot)com.    ;)

mauserme

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 12:42:47 AM »
This was posted by the administrator on the Wilders Security Forum a few months after the last update. I think its a semi-official, though dated, statement about why updates are sparse.

March 7th, 2004, 04:36 PM 
 LowWaterMark 
Administrator   Join Date: Aug 2002

Re:Having problems with SpywareGuard Updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi amoeba,

The reason for less frequent updates with SpywareGuard is that much of its detection abilities are heuristics in nature. (Basically this means it doesn't need a specific signature for every spyware it catches, simply an overall pattern or approach-used, which it can identify and then trigger off of.) So, SpywareGuard works for many of the newer versions of the same spyware installers even without adding "signatures" for them.

An update is made when there are new items coming out that are not detected that way.

I suppose the heuristic scanning means the program still has some value but things do tend to lag behind if you go 26 months (and counting) between updates.