Author Topic: network goes down several times an hour after installing avast on windows 10  (Read 1495 times)

REDACTED

Several times an hour my network connectivity will fail for about 2 minutes before coming back. 
If I try to ping the router during this time it will time out and fail. 
I have another computer connected to the same router at the same time which has no problems, so it isn't the router.
The problem only started when I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and then installed avast antivirus.

I have tried another network card.  The exact same issue occurs so it isn't the card either.
The other card I tried was a wireless card, and the current one is a regular Ethernet.  So it isn't a wireless issue. 

I ran a continuous ping over night in a script to collect information on the problem.
When ping starts to fail I output some ipconfig data to a text file.  there does not appear to be any change to the IP address during an outage. 
If I run a network troubleshooter during a network outage it will sometimes say "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration"

Event viewer doesn't show much other than the dns lookup failing due to the continuous ping I had running against google.com.
Thats about the only way to see the failure in event viewer under system logs.  It gives a 1014 event ID
"Name resolution for the name www.googleapis.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

I found this troubleshooting guide.  nothing from this guide resolves the issue.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

I Tried these steps:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

This had no effect:

I updated the ethernet driver,  and that also had no effect

I tried installing a different anti virus software, and still no improvement.
The other antivirus I tried was AVG antivirus. 

I went into properties on the driver and unchecked the box that allows it to go to sleep to save power
This also had no effect.  this was identified as a root cause of similar problems here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArBYUVcYUJ0

I also found this known bug which matches the symptoms, but I already have the patch.
current version of windows is version 1607 OS build 14393.693
KB 3206632 which is in 14393.576 should fix this problem, but the problem is still there.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004227
that bug prevents windows from obtaining an ip address, which is not happening to me.  I have an IP address.

I also tried a network reset using these steps:
Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Network reset.
this had no effect. 

The problem originally started after an upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, so I wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install of windows 10.  This still didn't fix the problem. 

My conclusions so far is that this is a bug in windows 10 code similar to the one mentioned in KB3206632 however it is slightly different.  It appears the failure is not with the IP address itself, but possibly some other part of the IP configuration.  The problem appears to be above the level of the NIC because even if I swap out the ethernet card for a USB wireless card the behavior stays exactly the same. 

my current test script runs like this:

FOR /L %%a in (1,1,99999) do (
   time /T >> E:\Documents\NotePadPP\IPtrack.txt
   ping google.com -n 2 >> E:\Documents\NotePadPP\IPtrack.txt
   ping 192.168.0.1 -n 2 >> E:\Documents\NotePadPP\IPtrack.txt

ipconfig >> E:\Documents\NotePadPP\IPtrack.txt

timeout /t 3
)

pause

I don't see anything useful in the windows logs, but I'm not that good at troubleshooting windows. 
Is there anything else I can do to find out what is taking down the network connectivity?