Author Topic: Program Messed up entire computer!!!!  (Read 34268 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Program Messed up entire computer!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 08:25:37 PM »
And, all of my system resotre points are gone.

Try restoring the files that were located in the "\System Volume Information" folder. These are the system repore files.

Otherwise, there is nothing our program could've done to the restore points -- it's quite likely that they're actually non-functioning because of the virus itself...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Jeff5886

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 08:27:17 PM »
Look....

The File size of the Virus Chest is 2.47 Gigs.  Yes, that means that avant created a folder, and put 2.47 gigs worht of files in there.  Avants fault.  i dont want them there.  I want all files in the treasure chest removed and put back in the original location.

And where are all of my System Resotre points.

Jeff5886

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2003, 08:28:31 PM »
And, all of my system resotre points are gone.

Try restoring the files that were located in the "\System Volume Information" folder. These are the system repore files.

How do u restore files from there?  Step by Step Instructions.....

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2003, 08:36:02 PM »
How do u restore files from there?  Step by Step Instructions.....

Open the (ehm, virus) chest, sort the files in there by the 'original location' column, and scroll to those that have "C:\System Volume Information\<something here>" in that column. Then select them, and click Restore...

The File size of the Virus Chest is 2.47 Gigs.  Yes, that means that avant created a folder, and put 2.47 gigs worht of files in there.  

To delete the files from the chest, there is nothing easier than selecting them, and choosing Delete.

Avants fault.

Fault? You had to choose to move the files to the chest yourself! That's what you wanted the program to do! And that's what it did!

Please, chill out a bit. Insulting other people obviously won't help. :-X

Vlk

Jeff5886

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2003, 08:39:43 PM »
Im not insulting anyone, what im saying is that this program is the bigest waste i have ever seen.  My cmputer worked much better before i fell into this trap.  i will be sure to warn people of this $hitty program.  

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2003, 08:45:09 PM »
I'll leave that up to you. If that's what you want, it's your problem. :-\

Anyway, good luck to you, and your well-kept Jeefo friend. :P

Culpeper

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2003, 09:14:51 PM »
Hmmmm.  Post a partial copy of your virus chest list.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 09:21:46 PM by Culpeper »

techie101

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2003, 09:50:10 PM »
Jeff,

I truly find it rather puzzling that those who have infected computers want to blame a poor anti-virus program that does exactly what it is intended to do.

Avast is not a ...itty program but a highly efficient, easy to use, reliable, stable, supported, functional, and just darn good AV!

I am not a programmer, but have degrees in both Electronic and Computer engineering and have been a "self taught" developer for some time.

Your attitude is not befitting a professional of your "stated" caliber.
All of us here on the forum put in much time and effort to help those with problems whether caused by Avast or not.

I sat quietly on the side, reading the posts on the subject from the beginning but found your behavior quite amusing.

Next time, it might be better to "professionally" ask for help and state the problem clearly like a programmer would..............
and you will get the help you need.

There are thousands of happy Avast users around the world!

Your experience was not caused by Avast.  The solutions offered by Raman, VLK, Technical, Culpeper and others who answered, were right there before you, but your attitude kept you from seeing them.

Please give Avast a proper evaluation.  That is all I ask of you.
If you then don't like it....fine.

We try to make friends here not enemies.

PS:  The virus which infrected your computer "replicates" and "spiders" which is why some of your programs do not function, and as VLK explained, rapidly increase the "total" infected file size.

I wish you well.  Happy Holidays.

techie
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 09:59:22 PM by techie101 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2003, 10:07:10 PM »
I'm wondering... 2.47GB in 663 files... that's quite a lot; are there things like MS service packs in there or ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2003, 10:18:08 PM »
I'm not joking, really. Stay in this forum is the easiest thing in the world... Techie and Culpeper write everything...

I started to give help...
Warned that I need to go out and advice the Moderators...
Vlk came quickly...

So, Jeff5886, avast! did exactly what you ask it to do... You were infected, sorry, and now we are here to help you. Please, take it easy. Insulting the other user forums and avast team will not help you. Sorry, we don't agree with your words about avast!. Techie said everything.

Now, if you need help, come back, read the forum, stay calm and let's go on  8)
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2003, 10:23:01 PM »
Igor

Yeah, that means on the average each file is approx. 3.9MB in size.  Interesting.

So do I have this correctly?  Jeff had a major infection on his machine?  If so, how is Avast to blame for this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2003, 10:30:07 PM »
I suggest:

1. Schedule an avast! Boot time scanning...
2. If you can't, or do not want, boot on DOS and run F-Prot or BitDefender for DOS from a CD
    You can try avast! Virus Cleaner Tool
3. Clean your system (make sure of this)
4. Please, tell us what files are into the Chest (could avast! make a list of them?)
5. Try to restore the files to their original place (they will remain in Chest until you delete them).
6. Delete the files from Chest.
7. Uninstall avast! if you want...

Hope this help (like Pavel says everytime  ;D)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 10:33:07 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2003, 10:35:19 PM »
So do I have this correctly?  Jeff had a major infection on his machine?  If so, how is Avast to blame for this?

its not this means he didnt have an UPDATED AV if any on his machine.
now that avast tells him the truth he doesnt like it.

this is why I wanted a AV for my macs even if there are very few viruses for them. there is still the chance (even if small) that my mac could contract one
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2003, 11:02:26 PM »
Yeah, that means on the average each file is approx. 3.9MB in size.  Interesting
[/size]
Yes, quite!  Without analyzing the files themselves, it does seem a bit on the high side, but very probable with the virus infection that Jeff suffered.

[/size]Avast was not.  Jeff was operating in "panic" mode.  I guess it could happen to anyone.  Apparently, the virus type Jeff suffered from, would replicate each and every time one of the 663 files was opened (or some lower number originally).
Had he continued, the number of infected files would increase to the point of total system collapse.
He said that the virus "didn't bother him".  I certainly can't understand that.  The virus had to have some impact on his OS or software.

Jeff never said if he had any other AV installed prior to AVAST.

techie
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 11:08:09 PM by techie101 »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2003, 12:25:49 AM »
Pardon my making light of what was and is pretty obviously a serious problem, but ...

He had/has a pretty serious mess on his computer, and you guys were mostly just getting s--t for doing your best to give him reasonable help.

If you weren't directly involved on either side, just sitting back and "lurking" like me, it was almost entertaining.  And there's still no admission charge for this show?  ;D

Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent