Author Topic: Program Messed up entire computer!!!!  (Read 34260 times)

Culpeper

Re:Program Messed up entire computer!!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2003, 12:33:35 AM »
*Applause* ;D

Culpeper

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2003, 12:38:24 AM »
Im not insulting anyone, what im saying is that this program is the bigest waste i have ever seen.  My cmputer worked much better before i fell into this trap.  i will be sure to warn people of this $hitty program.  

What are going to tell them?  That your machine had over six hundred infected files and since Avast discovered them it is all Avast fault?  That you contacted Avast and "immediately" got online support?  That even after all the crap you threw out the supporters still wanted to help?  Yeah, go ahead and warn people about the "$hitty" operator while you're at it.  

Sorry guys.  I was doing really well but I finally ran out of patience.

Jeff:

Did you finally get your problem resolved?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 12:40:20 AM by Culpeper »

techie101

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2003, 12:43:38 AM »
you guys were mostly just getting s--t for doing your best to give him reasonable help

Mike,
It comes with the territory.  I offer my help freely.  Sometimes it's appreciated and sometimes it is not.

I remain calm most of the time since I have Culpeper to say what I usually won't. hahaha ;D

Culpeper,
Down boy.....down!

techie
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 12:44:46 AM by techie101 »

Culpeper

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2003, 12:45:35 AM »
 ;D

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2003, 03:02:32 AM »
 yea DOWN! I TRY not to get involved but some times i cant help Im sure everyone is that way.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

John-

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2003, 07:13:04 PM »
A quick question: Was Avast! installed before the large infection?
Afterall for what i read the program did what it was programmed for,... but i do understand the man's anger,... in a way,... but you can't blame the program cause it does its job!

prevention is always better then cure

(if i ask silly questions, remember,... i am still newbie here,... 8) )

Culpeper

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2003, 07:57:14 PM »
Yeah, I would be upset too.  I'm even more upset because people make these viruses to begin with and this poor chap got chapped.  Basically, his machine had a big infection and Avast stopped it and wouldn't let him reinfect the machine again because he wanted his infected files put back where they were before he ran a virus scan.  Something like, "I think I will install Avast and run a scan."  And then, "Oh, Avast found hundreds of infected files and won't put them back where they were before."  And then, "Hey you guys screwed up my machine and I want you to fix it now!"  I'm sure we are not getting the whole story here.  

So, I believe the whole thing was another hoax by someone that likes something other than Avast and wants to stir up a negative record on the forums.  Avast seems to be making it's competitor's and it's competitor's fans upset to the point that they feel it is necessary to bring bogus melodrama to the forums.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 08:04:37 PM by Culpeper »

CoJo

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2003, 08:45:54 PM »
gosh, take a short break to have the flu and lots of interesting things happen ;D

I wouldn' have survived if Avast! and its resident experts hadn't kept me from messing up my computer even more than I had...and helped me correct what I did mess up.

that man is a rectal orifice....

cojo

techie101

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2003, 10:21:05 PM »
Avast seems to be making it's competitor's and it's competitor's fans upset

I do think so indeed!  Avast is constantly improving and developing for the most part from user input.
Many of the other AV vendors try to copy the "style", but can't do the "dance"!

I do not think that Jeff made up the problem, but it did seem "technically inflated".  :P

techie
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 10:22:22 PM by techie101 »

Culpeper

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2003, 10:50:19 PM »
"Technically inflated" is a good way to describe it!

Woody

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2003, 10:57:51 PM »
A programmer who uses system recovery???  
A programmer that seemed never to have heard about a decent backup?  
You're a joke...
I think, as a co-moderator of another computer forum, shut this topic.
I have learnt not to believe anybody who claims to be a "programmer"...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 10:59:42 PM by Woody »

techie101

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2003, 11:06:17 PM »
Woody,

In all fairness to Jeff...
He never said he didn't perform a "decent backup".
He has every right to use System Restore.  I do!

and "we" here on the Avast forum play by a better set of rules than apparently you do.

We allow anyone to state their case (like you have) as long as it's in accord with the forum guidelines.

We will also discuss the topic as long as it does not venture "off-topic".  If the Post is contained in the General category, slightly more leeway is sometimes granted to allow "venting".  It preserves Forum harmony and keeps not only the senior users on board (with the vast knowledge they possess!) but encourages user input.

However, I do agree that nothing more of value can be said regarding Jeff's problem.

techie101
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:11:25 PM by techie101 »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2003, 11:07:14 PM »
yea he is not one or he would have known avast  didnt cause his problems. All I do for MacWorld is review new hardware and software Im no where near a programmer!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2003, 01:17:34 AM »
This forum turns into a melodrama, if Jeff does not come back we cannot help him... (if he wants to be helped anyway)  ;D

I'm deactivating the notification for this forum. If anybody need my poor help knowleage, please send me an IM with the link to this forum. I'm not upset, but I have more things to do than be here for nothing. Thanks folks.  8)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2003, 02:34:42 AM »
Technical,

Unchecked my Notif already.  Amen.

techie  ;)