Author Topic: Did anyone have this happen to them?  (Read 3658 times)

Offline baabel

Did anyone have this happen to them?
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »

Did anyone have this happen to them?

I turned on the screen a few mornings ago it seems I needed to log back in. 

When I logged back in I was shocked to see that my desktop picture had changed and that half my icons were gone and the rest were rearranged.  It was the initial Dell screen picture. The icons that remained were all moved to one side.

If I remember correctly two messages appeared at the bottom.

One was I think that Avast updated.

The second was that I had a "temporary desktop" and that if I rebooted I would lose all my work.

The latter comment plus the fact that my desktop documents were gone made me scared that I had a ransomware.

Logging out and in changed nothing, so I rebooted.  Thankfully my old desktop and icons & documents appeared.

But my browser changed and automatically brought up something called Avast Safe Price.  I played around with the browser for a while and it really took too long to open. So I opened Avast and went into settings and deactivated something called "Safe Space" and "Safe Price".  I think I actually had Safe Space before and I may go back in and reactivate it.  The browser then worked normally.

This was a very scary thing to wake up to when I have to open my e-mail and take in my jobs for the day and immediately get to work.

Did anyone else get thrown into a "temporary desktop?

Does this "Safe Price" appear on your browser?  Does it slow down the opening of your browser too?

I just want to have an antivirus and no scares.

Paid version of Avast.

Windows 7.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Did anyone have this happen to them?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
Does this "Safe Price" appear on your browser?  Does it slow down the opening of your browser too?
I just want to have an antivirus and no scares. Paid version of Avast.
-> https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle (Add/Remove components)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
SafePrice isn't on my browser as far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with security, so I never install it.

I find it hard to believe that an avast update would have anything to do with the rearrangement of icons or some having disappeared.

You can uninstall Safe Price in the same way that you can uninstall other avast components.  Control Panel > Programs and Features > Avast > Change, from the next screen uncheck the SafePrice browser extension.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline baabel

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »
I did indeed find that setting and did uninstall Safe Price that morning when this all happened.  Firefox is back to normal functioning.
I know that one would expect that updating Avast should not render a "Temporary Desktop" but it was awfully coincidental that the update, the "Safe Price" & the alteration to my entire Desktop should have happened together.
Just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.
And normally programs ask me if I want them to update the program (as opposed to definitions, etc..).
It was just a bizarre & scary occurrence to wake up to.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »
And normally programs ask me if I want them to update the program (as opposed to definitions, etc..).
You can set program updates to ask in the settings.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline baabel

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:59 PM »
I could certainly do that.  On the other hand if the update threw my system into this "Temporary Desktop" situation, whatever that is, I doubt updating at a time of my choosing would prevent that.  It would however, have it happen at a less inconvenient time.  Since no one else has replied with a similar story I guess this was unique to my system.  I just hope it doesn't happen with the next update!

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:31:34 PM »
I'll often see the temporary profile after doing a system restore on one system or another.  Almost always goes away after next reboot.

It's not a big deal unless it keeps doing it.