Author Topic: Is Endpoint Keeping up with consumer versions?  (Read 3022 times)

REDACTED

Is Endpoint Keeping up with consumer versions?
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:18:22 PM »
I've just purchased Enpoint Plus licences having assumed that the business product was at least as capable as the consumer versions but now after a day or two I am not so sure.

Firstly, the copyright notice shows 2013, yet we are here in 2017!!!

Secondly, the program version number is 8.0.1609 whereas the nearest equivalent for the consumer version that I can find takes me all the way back to 2014 and the current version is v 17.2.2288 with numerous enhancements and new technologies since 2013/14!!!

Thirdly, business forum users ask questions and get little, if any replies!

Let me give an example concerning my second point: the consumer version 17.2.2288 had fixes on 2017-02-27 which included fixing a security issue in SafeZone browser banking mode. Am I correct in assuming that Endpoint still does not have this important fix implemented since the verson 8.0.1609 pre-dates 2017-02-27 ?

Am I right to be concerned or can someone assure me that all is well on the Endpoint product and anti-ransomware and other technologies are all at least as current as the consumer version?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:30:24 PM by ap382 »

REDACTED

Re: Is Endpoint Keeping up with consumer versions?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »
4 days later and not a single reply. I've therefore concluded that my suspicions are probably correct and will request a refund of the product, I can't wait longer and guess whether I have an inferior product or not.

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
Avast consumer products use an engine in version 17
Avast for Business products use an engine in version 17 (the same that Avast consumer)
Avast Endpoint Protection products use an engine in version 8

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »
The scanning engine is updated daily in all products through the VPS updates. Virus definitions are updated every few minutes via Streaming updates.

On-Premise products have an 8.0.x version number and share the same interface as v8 but still receive updates.

SafeZone is not included in the Endpoint Protection that I know of (or use).

Generally Enterprise Products move at a slower pace than Consumer and Small Business (Avast for Business). This is expected, and IMO exactly what Enterprise wants, as they do not want to continually validate new versions for deployment.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay