Author Topic: "Resolve" button does NOTHING after Full Virus Scan on two different Win 7 PCs  (Read 9388 times)

Offline glnz

Avast Free 17.2.2288 is on two different Win 7 Pro 64-bit machines.

After running a "Full virus scan" on each machine, each machine has two "Issues", which are completely different.  In both cases, hitting the "Resolve" button does ... NOTHING.

And each machine is now stuck showing those two "Issues" - I cannot run a new "Full virus scan" because Avast immediately goes back to the sub-screen showing those two issues.  I cannot "Resolve" those issues on either machine.

What?  Avast - just how bad are you getting with this new version 17 ?  This really sucks.

Two different machines - totally your fault.
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You missed the crucial information, what are the two issues on both systems ?

Or you could post screenshots of them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline glnz

No, David, the info is not crucial.  Two different machines, each showing two "issues"; the Resolve button did nothing, and Avast was then stuck.

What's crucial is that Avast is now broken in a core function - the cleanup of flagged problems.

I already started each machine on a "Folder Scan" because I could not do another "Full virus scan", so it's too late for screenshots.  The four issues were varied - not the same.
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Unfortunately when stuff like this happens, think data gathering, or it is hard to guess as to the possible cause or why it couldn't be resolved.

Have you checked the scan logs ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
No, David, the info is not crucial.  Two different machines, each showing two "issues"; the Resolve button did nothing, and Avast was then stuck.

What's crucial is that Avast is now broken in a core function - the cleanup of flagged problems.

I already started each machine on a "Folder Scan" because I could not do another "Full virus scan", so it's too late for screenshots.  The four issues were varied - not the same.
Sorry but without information, help isn't possible.
You seem to forget, it's your computer. We depend on specific information from you in order to help.
Without your eyes and exact and detailed information, all we can do is make educated guesses which usually result  in incorrect help.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline glnz

David - One of my two Folder scans has finished, so I am able to go back to the history.  I have ATTACHED the "Detailed Report".  These two should have been "Resolvable" as soon as they showed.

By the way, the "Detailed Report" window is too wide and does not permit re-sizing of the columns.  Also, there is no function to print to a .txt file.  Avast is focused on fancy graphics and is getting the basics wrong.

Offline glnz

And on my second Win 7 machine, I am STILL STUCK and cannot do another "Full Virus Scan".  Attached is a different jpg that shows what I get when I try to do another "Full Virus Scan" - and these WILL NOT "RESOLVE".

This is a major flaw in a core function for Avast - inexcusably bad.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have never been convinced of the Fix Automatically option (if that would have been the Resolve action), for me the only thing that can really be fixed would be a virus. A file infected by a virus could have the virus element removed (fixed), but there are very few true viruses around.

I also find it a bit strange that a .dll file would be considered a PUP, if you had this file for some time, it could be an FP.
The MBAM file, windows.exe is also a strange one the Win32:DH-A1 as I believe there have been a number of FPs on this detection name.

Remember the actions listed are what were or tried to be applied during the scan, in this format it is historic information so the Apply button won't do anything.

Offline glnz

Once again, David R, you miss the point.

The Resolve button did NOTHING - did not even say "Hey, this is nothing so we're going to ignore it" - and now the Avast program is STUCK AND WILL NOT DO ANOTHER FULL VIRUS SCAN.

It's broken, David.  Avast has flaws in a core function.  Sorry this doesn't fit inside your evangelism.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I give up.

I was trying to get to the bottom of 'why' resolve might not have worked.

So I will save you and any more wasted time.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
The folder scans have an issue since the release of v17 which is yet to be solved.

The resolve button does REMOVE the threats but the animation afterwards doesn't work for the folder scan (to show the threats have been removed).

So it does look like clicking resolve does nothing but it does remove the files.

This is a known bug to the Avast team.

Here is a video of the issue:

https://youtu.be/PDl8tb1CQC4

Only the smart scan is NOT affected by this issue.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:29:56 AM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline glnz

Alikhan - Thanks for info.

Unfortunately, for me the problem has arisen at the end of my first FULL VIRUS SCAN on two different Win 7 Pro 64-bit PCs, not a Folder Scan.

You are correct that the actual listed files are gone -- I looked for them -- but, on one of the PCs now, each time I try to do a new FULL VIRUS SCAN, I see only the two listed files in my second screenshot above.  Avast is now STUCK; I cannot start a new Full Virus Scan.

Please tell your friends at Avast that this is inexcusably wrong.  How can they release a version with so many bugs?  (See my other recent posts.)  Avast isn't just another app; millions of us depend on it for basic security.

I resent being a Beta guinea pig, and I'm sorry I updated to this lousy version 17 in my wife's SOHO computers.

Now that I think of it, how do I know that Avast AV is working in its normal preventative function and actually blocking malware?  Maybe that is stuck also?  How do I know it's working?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:36:02 PM by glnz »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Hi

The issue affects all scans currently other than the smart scan so full scan is affected with no animation.

The malware prevention is working fine.

If you want to make sure, download an eicar test file.

A reboot should enable you to start a new full scan.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:52:32 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline glnz

Alikhan - you are far more knowledgeable than two others who post all the time on this forum.

First - how do I download an eicar test file?

Second - where do I go to manually fix my stuck Avast.  See my last (second) screenshot above.  Somewhere inside Avast, it thinks those files still exist.  How do I manually change that.

Those two files are listed in one (only one) registry key for Avast, but that same key also lists other files it scanned that do not appear any more, so I left that key alone.

How do I do a manual fix?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Alikhan - you are far more knowledgeable than two others who post all the time on this forum.

First - how do I download an eicar test file?

Second - where do I go to manually fix my stuck Avast.  See my last (second) screenshot above.  Somewhere inside Avast, it thinks those files still exist.  How do I manually change that.

Those two files are listed in one (only one) registry key for Avast, but that same key also lists other files it scanned that do not appear any more, so I left that key alone.

How do I do a manual fix?

I don't think it's right to comment on other evangelist, they're very helpful.

1. To test Avast is working:

http://web-shield-test.avast.com/ and http://test-url-blocker.avast.com/ should give you detection popups from Web Shield.

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com - Eicar test file

2. Have you rebooted your system and/or run an Avast repair via Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs > Avast > Change > Repair and then reboot?