Author Topic: [fixed] Blue Screen (BSOD) - Windows 7 32 bit  (Read 53918 times)

Offline savcin

• Avast team
Re: [fixed] Blue Screen (BSOD) - Windows 7 32 bit
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »
After some investigation, our technology have discovered, that the bug was caused by code in antirootkit module, which is linked into aswsp.sys driver. When VPS update was released yesterday, it started querying some additional PE information data from driver which crash OS.

We haven't seen any crashes on Win7 x64, or Win8, which supports our theory that the main cause is probably Win7 x86 OS bug. It is also worth mentioning, that crashes are not inside our driver, but in NT kernel module.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Alex

Offline ineuw01

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »
 I also crashed yesterday, same system same version, so now I changed the update to manual because I lost some important work. But, I can't understand the programming logic of Avast with their icon indicating a warning when the update is set to manual. The standard warning with the exclamation can mean anything. It would be preferable to display a blue "M" to remind users that their update is set to manual.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
After some investigation, our technology have discovered, that the bug was caused by code in antirootkit module, which is linked into aswsp.sys driver. When VPS update was released yesterday, it started querying some additional PE information data from driver which crash OS.

We haven't seen any crashes on Win7 x64, or Win8, which supports our theory that the main cause is probably Win7 x86 OS bug. It is also worth mentioning, that crashes are not inside our driver, but in NT kernel module.

Alex

How will you stop this from occurring in the future?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline giulliano

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »
I really like avast for business, but I had to uninstall in my entire environment.
I would love to install it again, but how can I be sure that no blue screen will come at my door again?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
I really like avast for business, but I had to uninstall in my entire environment.
I would love to install it again, but how can I be sure that no blue screen will come at my door again?
I'm sure Avast will do everything humanly possible to make sure it will not happen again.
Just as there are no guarantees in life, there really can't be any guarantees with this.
Microsoft gives no guarantees and we've all experienced an update problem that's gone wrong.
Back up on a regular basis so that you're prepared for a disaster if it should happen.
There's also no guarantee on your hard drive. The only guarantee is that eventually, it will fail.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2017, 01:44:36 AM »
I would like very much a final verdict about the incident.
Until now, we're guessing it was a Microsoft Windows kernel bug that was triggered from Avast antirootkit.
We need to apologize for a lot of things and, after all, fix requires a Microsoft update... It's ironic...
The best things in life are free.

Offline tlee

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »
Hi,

It cause me so inconvenient.
It let me think hardware problem initially. (Depends on BSOD code.

It is so important Avast R&D to handle this issue carefully and to test your patches in detail before push clients update.

Otherwise, it will make the bad reputation of Avast into the World !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope all of Avast team members have to note that.
Stability, Reliability and Performance are important to customer rather than beautiful GUI of anti-virus program.

REDACTED

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »

Alex

Well, Windows XP is an old operating system and then it's working on it, forget it

But it turns out that the Avast command does not test updates to Windows 7 32 bit (x86). This is very bad. How can this be? In the world, there is 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit (x64) today. I understand that there is also Windows 10, but it's not everywhere yet

Even the masters for refilling printer cartridges on the shelves have several printers for testing printing after refueling

And at you the big company under mark Avast of a world level only two kinds of operational systems for tests and only x64

Strange ...

REDACTED

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »
My issue with the entire situation is this. We could have been notified via email. I had to register with my email as well as sign in to manage our devices.