Author Topic: What happens if!  (Read 76799 times)

techie101

Re:What happens if!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 11:30:13 PM »
Walker,

Sorry, I guess I did not understand your reference to keeping "script blocker" but I made no reference to "testing" your email.  I think Technical was only informing you of programs that "could".  

I believe that the Script Blocker in Avast will stay active even if the modules are stopped.  IF you use Pro, then why not try installing only those modules you want which should leave you with the ability to have Resident, Email and Script protection????

Anyway, I do not use a separate email scanner, but can look into it if you wish.  Like I said before, I added Script Sentry to fill in the "hole" in the Home version.

Food for thought
techie
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 11:35:05 PM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 11:36:44 PM »
Techie,

That's okay, I'm also to blame for not explaining fully.

The situation is.. .. I would love to keep Avast (or I guess as much of it as possible), but I'm having issues with the interaction with Pegasus e-mail client. So I need an A-V to scan my incoming mail.

W.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 11:37:22 PM by Walker »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2003, 03:26:05 PM »
ML,

Yes OK, but I was trying to retain Avast Script Blocker if poss.. .. see above.

W.

Script Sentry and Script Defender (I think the interface of the second is better but both work) are compatible with avast Script Blocker. Indeed you can have the three installed and working. Script Sentry will 'relate' more 'false positives' and pop up windows... I'd rather Script Defender working togheter with avast! Script Blocking...

About the email scanner, I see no other solution than staying with avast! or changing all the package...I'm talking both of free and payed applications... I cannot see the reason to keep just one part of avast! unless your Internet Mail or Outlook/Exchange providers were not working  ::) and as I see you have a trouble with Pegasus e-mail client...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2003, 05:02:10 PM »
Walker,
Maybe we are going about this the wrong way.  Instead of trying to "use Avast less", why don't we try to find a solution to your problem with Pegasus??

I reviewed all the posts, and none were from the Avast team.

If you could provide some detail on what problem your having, then maybe we can sort it all out and fix it.  I would rather see you stay "fully" with Avast, then to try install a "workaround" program (3rd party email scanner).

Technical,
I find both interfaces of Script Defender and Sentry adequate.  Once I set them, I don't need to stare at them much.  I find both equally reliable, and never had a false positive from either.  I have had boot-up errors from Script Sentry now and then, but a reboot takes care of it.   Nothing to worry about.

Later,
techie

Walker

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2003, 12:09:15 AM »
Techie

Thanks for the interest.  ;)

Walker,
Maybe we are going about this the wrong way.  Instead of trying to "use Avast less", why don't we try to find a solution to your problem with Pegasus??

Of course this would be the ideal solution, BUT.. ..

I reviewed all the posts, and none were from the Avast team.

I've asked both Vlk and support direct by e-mail. Vlk said he would get back, but nothing heard for a couple of weeks or so  :'( . Support e-mail.. no reply at all   :'( . In one of the threads I will mention below, Igor said Vojtech might answer.. .. I noticed he was on the forum since that message, but no response   :'( .

Now don't get this wrong, I'm not bitching.. the guy's are probably busy, but none of this helps me,! So rather than complain, I thought I'd try to find another solution.  ???

If you could provide some detail on what problem your having, then maybe we can sort it all out and fix it.  I would rather see you stay "fully" with Avast, then to try install a "workaround" program (3rd party email scanner).

The basic problem is I'm having a total lack of reliability 'somewhere' between Pegasus mail and Avast. Sometimes my e-mail is sent and received no problems at all, other times I have to remove the local host routing to be able to get a connection to my ISP's mail servers.

Some more info in my previous messages:-

http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1852;start=msg12212#msg12212

http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1971;start=msg13201#msg13201

Where an Adwil team response would help, is to clarify whether Avast is compatible with Pegasus. I have been trying not to spoil Technicals illusions  ;)when he keeps posting that Avast does work with Pegasus, but in fact the MPW hasn'nt worked for a couple of Peg versions !. I therefore wonder if there are any other issues with compatibility between Avast and Pegasus.

http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1157;start=msg6365#msg6365

Thanks again for the interest and reply Techie  :)

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2003, 01:19:53 AM »
Technical,
I find both interfaces of Script Defender and Sentry adequate.  Once I set them, I don't need to stare at them much.  I find both equally reliable, and never had a false positive from either.  I have had boot-up errors from Script Sentry now and then, but a reboot takes care of it.   Nothing to worry about.
Later, techie

Ok, you admit, Script Defender is a little better and not so borrowing than Sentry... I don't think you need both of them plus the Script Blocker of avast!  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2003, 01:24:23 AM »
Where an Adwil team response would help, is to clarify whether Avast is compatible with Pegasus. I have been trying not to spoil Technicals illusions  ;) when he keeps posting that Avast does work with Pegasus, but in fact the MPW hasn'nt worked for a couple of Peg versions !. I therefore wonder if there are any other issues with compatibility between Avast and Pegasus.

Walker, sorry, I do not use Pegasus and I cannot help you too much but, I configurated OE and Spamihilator with avast!, changing POP and SMTP servers, authentication, ports, avast4.ini and a lot of things more... I could not imagine why you can't configure Pegasus and avast! together... I wish I could... I wish I could help you  :'(
Anyway, ask Vlk untill he answers you  ;D Borrow him  ;D

Walker

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2003, 01:32:56 AM »
I could not imagine why you can't configure Pegasus and avast! together... I wish I could... I wish I could help you  :'(

Hi Tech,

Configuring isn't (I don't think  ;)) the problem, it's the realiability factor  :-\

Hummm.. .. I'm getting older all the time though Tech  ;D

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2003, 01:37:45 AM »
I could not imagine why you can't configure Pegasus and avast! together... I wish I could... I wish I could help you  :'(

Hi Tech,

Configuring isn't (I don't think  ;)) the problem, it's the realiability factor  :-\

Hummm.. .. I'm getting older all the time though Tech  ;D

W.

Do not give up... Put a photo when you have four as I did... You'll feel younger! Don't give up of Vlk's help... What are you calling 'realiability'? You get a virus that avast could not scan and clean? Or just, sometimes, your email is not scanned at all?

Walker

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2003, 01:43:38 AM »
What are you calling 'realiability'? You get a virus that avast could not scan and clean? Or just, sometimes, your email is not scanned at all?

Oh Tech,  :)

I know I don't explain very well  :-\ , but NO, it's nothing to do with viruses or scans, it's my e-mail not going through the local host ie not being sent/received at times.  ;)

W.

techie101

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2003, 01:46:02 AM »
... I don't think you need both of them plus the Script Blocker of avast!

Technical,
I don't use both.  You misunderstand.  I use Script Sentry with my Avast Home in my W98 since Avast Home does not have script blocking.
My Avast Pro sits happily in my XP computer with its' internal script blocking.

Ok Ok.....Script Defender is a bit better than Defender.  However, I believe that Sentry is still is supported.  Defender is not.  ;)

Walker,
As I understand the problem, you have Pegasus sending mail to your computer at which time it is redirected to local host 127.0.0.1 so that Avast can scan first.  This link is not working at all times.  Am I correct here?
I asssume that when you "remove" the local host path, you set the server address to that of Pegasus and all works fine.

Can we try a simple test?  If I remember, you have Avast Pro...Yes?
Really doesn't matter.  You will be sending email to yourself.  Go into Settings and uncheck Scan outgoing mail so that Avast will not scan it.
Then, try sending mail.  If this is successful, then reverse the permissions (outgoing..scan, incoming..no scan).  Try again.

Can you check your Windows Event Viewer log (System and Application) to see if anything shows up as an error or conflict message?  I do not think anything will show in the Avast log since it is waiting to scan email that it never sees.  Understand?

We will have to do a bit of old fashioned troubleshooting here before we try drastic stuff like reinstallations.  This may be simplistic but have you tried to reinstall Avast or Pegasus?

Do you agree?  It will be my pleasure to try and find a solution for you.
I will try to get the attention of a Moderator or Avast Team Member.  I can't offer an explanation as to why Alwil Support does not answer your email.

techie

Walker

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2003, 02:05:43 AM »
Techie,

Quick response.. .. I'll digest your suggetions in a minute  ;)

As I understand the problem, you have Pegasus sending mail to your computer at which time it is redirected to local host 127.0.0.1 so that Avast can scan first.  This link is not working at all times.  Am I correct here?

Well yes and no  ;) . I cut out scanning outgoing mail altogether, it was one less option to worry about (as far as this issue). But yes, pop3's incoming (I have nine different a/c's) are all directed through the local host (127.0.0.1)

I asssume that when you "remove" the local host path, you set the server address to that of Pegasus and all works fine.

Yes and most (but not all) of the time, it also will work through the local host via Avast.

If I remember, you have Avast Pro...Yes?

Yes

I do not think anything will show in the Avast log since it is waiting to scan email that it never sees.  Understand?

Yes perfectly. In fact with Pegasus and this kind of config., the old Avast 'Blue flashing light' (police car type) icon appears when Avast is doing something with e-mail. I know when it is going to fail, because this blue light doesn't appear.

This may be simplistic but have you tried to reinstall Avast or Pegasus?

Actually a big YES. I've had the same problem with two seperate machines.

Do you agree?  It will be my pleasure to try and find a solution for you.

Thanks Techie, appreciated  :) I'm off to read your suggestions properly now ;)

Fast

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2003, 02:06:25 AM »
Just a little suggestion from a newbie.
Does your isp requires authentication ?
If so, in the knowledgebase for Pmail there is a known issue where Pegasus is unable to handle authentication requests via the localhost.
This problem should occur with some isp's and the big question is of course "is it the mail-prog or the isp that's causing the trouble ?"
Just to  mention it before you guys start uninstalling things...
Bye

techie101

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2003, 02:31:59 AM »
Fast,

Yes, Authentication is something to consider.

Walker,

I really need you to enable the SMTP protocol so Avast scans outgoing mail, and shut down the incoming scan.

I want to determine if the outgoing side if ok.....that is the Avast scan of outgoing email.  Since we have an instablity problem somewhere, let us narrow the field down.

These settings might also help:
Sending mail:  Set Pegasus to Send Later instead of Send Now.
(Send Now causes the email client to seek a connection dependent upon how often you have the "time" set)

Check "Leave copy of messages on the server"
(Since the client can only look at one folder on the server at a time [Inbox], leaving a copy on the server permits the client to jump to other server inboxes, or other inboxes on the same server [multiple accounts]

I am looking at the problem this way.  Email is like trains going back and forth on the same track.  If too many trains try running on the track, you can bet you'll  get them to derail.  Right now, you are sending....receiving 9 accounts worth of mail....scanning same.....reading same.....then probably sending mail in "q".
All this nonsense pumping the local host.  Maybe I'm the one off track, but I don't think so this time.  ;D

techie
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 03:11:30 AM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2003, 03:02:32 AM »
I really need you to enable the SMTP protocol so Avast scans outgoing mail, and shut down the incoming scan.

Techie,

Okay, if I've done what you wanted (hope so), I've tried enableing (one for now) smtp (outgoing scan) by re-configuring the smtp through local host. I've then tried changing the scan outgoing then incoming mail in Avasts settings. What happens (logically at this stage) is my isp reports a bad username/password. It is seeing bla-bla@bla#pop3bla.bla (think I'll have to register bla bla  ;D ) . So.. the only option I then have is to remove the re-directs through local host etc., in Pegasus. This is in fact what I have been doing anyway when my e-mail fails. Or have I misunderstood you?.

This is a common 'Warning' in my event log (Applications). I don't know what it is, I have'nt checked the MS link yet.

Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   Userenv
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1517
Date:      16/12/2003
Time:      02:39:40
User:      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:   SERVER-04
Description:
Windows saved user (bla-bla again) registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The only other regular thing in the Apps log is my UPS shut downs.. normal.

The 'Systems' log show only 'information' items with one or two print warnings.

:-\ W.  ;)

[edit] just tried the MS link.. .. great  ;D [/edit]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 03:18:55 AM by Walker »