Author Topic: What happens if!  (Read 76797 times)

techie101

Re:What happens if!
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2003, 03:53:23 AM »
I've tried enableing (one for now) smtp (outgoing scan) by re-configuring the smtp through local host. I've then tried changing the scan outgoing then incoming mail in Avasts settings
I think so.  Your local host should be set to 127.0.0.1 with SMTP to port 25 and POP3 to port 110 with the appropriate user names.  When you ran the Mail Wizard, you should have checked Protect all my accounts (which should have taken care of Pegasus)
You should have had to only uncheck the relavant permission boxes in the On-Access Protection Control/Internet Mail/Customize menu

What happens (logically at this stage) is my isp reports a bad username/password.
Why do think this is logical?  Pegasus should be sending the correct username and password regardless of where the email is directed (local host)

Or have I misunderstood you?.
Not really.  I think you are doing what I asked.  I am wondering if there are settings in Pegasus that are interferring with the email transfer to the local host.

Description:
Windows saved user registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This warning appears on my computer also and I believe that it is Avast operating under a user account protocol.  It seems to be of little concern.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
This link provided absolutely no info whatsoever.  Typical of MS Help.  ;D

I'll stay with this....

techie

« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 03:53:54 AM by techie101 »

Fast

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2003, 04:02:50 AM »
@Walker
I've typed in search the knowledge-base :"127.0.0.1" and it came up with a problem concerning authentication and Norton AV.
I have two mail-accounts, one at Lycos which needs auth. and another at Versatel which doesn't require it.
The thing is that I only have this problem with the Lycos account.
I mailed their helpdesk and they came up with an idea, something like "does your mailclient reed plain-text authentication only?"
At that point it became too technical for me and I gave up...
Now I use Pegasus for my Versatel account only, the other one (Lycos) I reed with Vivian.
Bye

techie101

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2003, 05:00:33 AM »
Fast,
I think your barking up the wrong tree.  Walker does not have Norton, and he has no indications of authentication problems.
It appears that he is loosing the connection (as he explains it)

Walker,
I did some digging around and came across this post on the Pegasus KB:
http://wwwbzs.tu-graz.ac.at/software/pegasus/en/knowledgebase/d/download.html#down_pop3
The post speaks of 'lost connections" and taking the blocking sockets at a "slower pace".  Remember my train theory. haha

We'll fix it.

techie
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 05:01:10 AM by techie101 »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2003, 10:46:14 AM »
Walker,
I have made some additional logging to the mail scanner in the latest beta version (4.1.313). Please turn on the protection of incoming mail and also add the line
Log=20
to the file avast4.ini under the line [MailScanner]. Send me the file aswMaiSv.log from Avast4\DATA\log folder by mail after you encounter the problem.

Walker

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2003, 07:02:31 PM »
Hi Technie

Your local host should be set to 127.0.0.1 with SMTP to port 25 and POP3 to port 110 with the appropriate user names.  When you ran the Mail Wizard, you should have checked Protect all my accounts (which should have taken care of Pegasus).

Yes, with the addition of the username has #pop.. ... .. added on the end.

Sorry Techie, this is one of the features that I have been mentioning.. .. MPW doesn't work with Pegasus (it's a known problem). Anyway, I'm happy doing the manual configs.

What happens (logically at this stage) is my isp reports a bad username/password.
Why do think this is logical?  Pegasus should be sending the correct username and password regardless of where the email is directed (local host)

My ISP picks up the additional #pop.. ... .. on the end of the username and reports wrong u-name/p-word and connection to the servers fail.. .. this is what I meant as being logical.

You should have had to only uncheck the relavant permission boxes in the On-Access Protection Control/Internet Mail/Customize menu).

Unless I'm misunderstanding.. no. Unless I manually take out the localhost redirect and the pop details off of my username I get the problem with wrong u-name/p-word from the mail servers as mentioned above. Every test I do requires a manual reconfig of my pop and smtp details.

This link provided absolutely no info whatsoever.  Typical of MS Help.  ;D

One of their better ones, I thought  ;)

Sorry if we have some confusion  :-\

Walker.

Walker

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2003, 07:08:22 PM »
Please turn on the protection of incoming mail and also add the line Log=20 to the file avast4.ini under the line [MailScanner]. Send me the file aswMaiSv.log from Avast4\DATA\log folder by mail after you encounter the problem.

Vojtech,

Thanks for the response(s). Will do as you say and send you the log when it happens.

I've noticed today, and this may sound like a crazy description  :-\ , but the blue light icon almost 'struggles' to appear !!.. it's been 'slow' kicking in!.

Thanks again.
W.

Walker

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2003, 07:14:12 PM »
@Walker
I've typed in search the knowledge-base :"127.0.0.1" and it came up with a problem concerning authentication and Norton AV.

Fast,

Appreciated the effort. I did see that one, but as Techie mentions, I can't see any other relavence other than for Norton (forgive me if I'm wrong  :-\ ) and the 'fix' that is mentioned is the same as a normal Avast/Peg configuration.

Thanks for the continued interest.

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2003, 09:17:58 PM »
I'll ask you a favor, Walker: please, post the window of Pegasus configuration (more than one if it has...), advanced options and so on... Let me understand what is happening. I see no reason for this conflict with avast  :'(
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2003, 10:08:54 PM »
Walker,

Technical has a good idea.  If you could show us the windows that you are describing, then maybe we will have a better understanding of what and where you are manually configuring your programs.

I get the feeling that we are missing something very obvious which is causing this.

I may have to download Pegasus and run it on one of my machines as a testbed.

techie

Walker

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2003, 01:47:31 AM »
Walker,
Technical has a good idea.  If you could show us the windows that you are describing, then maybe we will have a better understanding of what and where you are manually configuring your programs.

Technical, Techie,

Are you guy's sure about this  :)

I've counted 10 'basic' images and am worried about clogging the forum.

I'll have a go, but tell me if/when you see what you need and I will delete again.

::) :-\ ;D

W.

Walker

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2003, 01:52:41 AM »

Walker

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2003, 01:53:08 AM »

Walker

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2003, 01:53:34 AM »

Walker