Author Topic: What happens if!  (Read 76810 times)

Walker

Re:What happens if!
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2003, 01:57:42 AM »

Walker

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2003, 01:58:14 AM »

Walker

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2003, 01:58:45 AM »

Walker

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2003, 02:02:40 AM »
Tech, Techie,

I think I've missed one... but I've gone 'image crazy'  ;)

There are more  ;D settings, is this what you needed/expected.

Obviously all ficticious entries  8)

Phew, W.

techie101

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2003, 02:07:22 AM »
Walker,
Ok, keep the pics coming.

Screen1
I would increase polling time off of "0".....maybe 600 seconds to see if there is a difference.  Normally I would not do this because the client seeks a connection when the polling timer runs out but we need to tweek a bit.

Screen2
Check create internet session log.  We may need to look at this later on to determine if anything shows as to why the connection is lost.  Its a valuable tool.

Screen3
Why did you add the #pop3.ispm?  I do not have that with my isp.  Did your Isp provide that to you?

Screens 4-5-6
Seem ok.

On to the next screens!

techie

techie101

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2003, 02:19:32 AM »
Walker,

Screen7
Seems ok

Screen8
I am not crazy about requesting a prior Pop3 login for authentication.
Have you tried choice 2 or 3 instead.  I would try the plain SMTP server login using the userid and password.

Screen9
Seems ok.

Screen10
Oh where oh where did my screenshot go, blah blah blah
Oh where oh where did it go????

Yes, the screens give me a very clear indication of how and where you are inputing changes.
So far, I did not see any "glaring" error.  However, I did see a few things that you can try (as I mentioned) to see if Pegasus reacts differently

The "username" in screen 3 puzzles me and the manner of server login for SMTP worries me a bit.
Authentication has been a problem area with Pegasus.

Write down all settings and where you found them before changing anything.  Make only ONE CHANGE at a time.  Change, go back and reset, make new change, go back and reset and so on until everything is tried individually.  Hope you understand.

Be back later....need a cup of coffee.  ;D

techie

Walker

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2003, 03:11:20 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( darn.. .. I just did a lengthy reply to your post, hit the send button and my login time had run out  >:( message gone/lost  >:( ::) :)

I've got three browsers open trying to follow/reply to this thread  ;D

Screen1
I would increase polling time off of "0".....maybe 600 seconds to see if there is a difference.  Normally I would not do this because the client seeks a connection when the polling timer runs out but we need to tweek a bit.

Will do if you wish, but all this does is tell Pegasus to attempt to establish a mailserver connection and retreive mail at 'x' given secs. As I'm on a 'dial-up' it's not really relavent (unless you think so  :) ) . I just check for mail manually (ie as in send/receive in OE) . Is there something I'm missing with your line of thought?

Screen2
Check create internet session log.  We may need to look at this later on to determine if anything shows as to why the connection is lost.  Its a valuable tool.

Yes this is a good idea. I turned it off some months ago because it slows things down aand thought it might be contributing to the problem.. I then forgot about it. Will turn it back on  ;)

Screen3
Why did you add the #pop3.ispm?  I do not have that with my isp.  Did your Isp provide that to you?

Urmmm, you have me confused here  :-\ ;)

This is normal configuration for Avast with a manually configed mail client.. .. on the other hand, I could have been too long out in the sun  8) ;D

Remember, this is not Outlook or OE with automatic mail protection. Also, the screen shot does not show all of the dialogue in that entry box.. .. it would normally be (this is my 'real' isp mailserver details) #pop3.terra.es , so the full entry would be myusername.terra.es#pop3.terra.es . Note the 'dot' between myusername and terra, some isp's would have an @ (strudle), this is not a mistake, my isp uses a 'dot'. I'm not sure if we are misunderstanding here or if I have made a mistake which I'm becoming blind too  :-\ Also bear in mind this is only a ficticious a/c I have created for the screen shots  ;)

On to the next screens!

I think I've run out of all the relavent stuff, unless you see any sub menus or now of anything else I've missed

Clicking 'post' quick and copying to clipboard first  ;
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 03:43:00 AM by Walker »

Walker

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2003, 03:24:35 AM »
Techie,

Screen8
I am not crazy about requesting a prior Pop3 login for authentication.
Have you tried choice 2 or 3 instead.  I would try the plain SMTP server login using the userid and password.

I have tried the other two options, 'pop before send' is the most reliable. In fact there is a definate problem with either one or both of options 2 and/or 3 (my mind has gone blank at the moment  ::) ) but I think it has something to do with the username/password not being passed through correctly with localhost redirects !?. It will come to me later  ;)

Screen10
Oh where oh where did my screenshot go, blah blah blah
Oh where oh where did it go????

I misscounted, think there all there !

The "username" in screen 3 puzzles me and the manner of server login for SMTP worries me a bit.
Authentication has been a problem area with Pegasus.

Lets think this one over, considering my comments in previous post. Say again if we're confusing each other over this.

Be back later....need a cup of coffee.  ;D

;D I'm considering a large Jack Daniels !  ;D

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2003, 12:00:44 PM »
Walker, I saved this forum and will work off-line...
I'll have a cup of coffee beside me...  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2003, 12:56:39 PM »
Walker, seem that I found errors  :'(

peg-0.gif: Seems ok. No comments. Anyway, if you want, you could increase the 'Check for new POP3 mail every … seconds' like Techie suggested, to the client seeks any connection and download the emails. Anyway, don't worry it is just the automatic download for emails as you already know.

peg-1.gif: Check 'Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)'. As Techie said, we may need to look at this later on to determine if anything shows as to why the connection is lost. Its a valuable tool. I cannot imagine that this option could slows things down as you said... Remember: Your address: Walker@pop3.terra.es

peg-2.gif: Server host name: 127.0.0.1 / User name: Walker.isp.com#pop3.ispm I think the correct will be: Walker#pop3.terra.es. I mean: Remove the first .isp.com before the # character. The POP3 TCP/IP port: 110 seems ok and the Timeout: 30 seconds would be better at 600 seconds.

peg-3.gif: Never 'Use SSL/TLS security'. Seems ok. No comments.

peg-4.gif: Seems ok. No comments.

peg-5.gif: was missed

peg-6.gif: Seems ok. No comments.

peg-7.gif: Server host name: smtp.xxx.terra.com.es / SMTP TCP/IP port: 25 / Timeout: 60 seconds. Seems ok. No comments. Anyway, check the server host name and the timeout to 600 would be better.

peg-8.gif: Never 'Use SSL/TLS security'. Seems ok. No comments. 'Do a prior POP3 login to authenticate before sending mail' using this POP3 definition: Walker. I think it's better the second option: 'Login to the SMTP server using the following details: Username: #smtp.isp   and   Password: <blank> or your own. Do not add 'Walker' before the #smtp.isp

peg-9.gif: No explicit dialing support. Seems ok. No comments.

So, I think your configurations were wrong at peg-2.gif and peg-8.gif.
I have a terra.com email and it works with avast!. Pegasus seems to be very powerful on settings! I'm impressed!
Do you need more help?
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2003, 05:19:55 PM »
Walker,
Sorry, but I just lost an entire post on a possible solution after much research.  Not sure where it went.
In short, Technical picked up on what I did.  The username in POP3 settings is not "constructed" correctly.  I had the "cart before the horse".  It was a long day yesterday.  Anyway, I will find the research and forward it offline.

Technical,
Thanks for the assist.  I know we are very close to finding a solution.  I really do feel that it is a configuration problem.  Since Walker's difficulty is not wide spread, we are looking at a "workaround" I think.

Hopefully, the Internet Log which Walker has activated may give us a clue.

Later guys,
techie
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 05:25:08 PM by techie101 »

techie101

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2003, 05:45:59 PM »
Walker!

I see the light!  ;D  
Firstly, there is definetly a problem with the way you entered your username for POP3 configuration.  The proper format is as Techical stated:
techie#pop3.avast.com

Another area which is crucial is the entries of the .ini file especially where authentication is concerned (I found my notes).  Special entries are needed when you can use a different signon for SMTP and POP during authentication than you do elsewhere.
If your e-mail program supports SMTP authentication, and also makes it possible to set a different login name for SMTP than for POP, insert the line: UseDefaultSmtp=0.
If your e-mail program does not support SMTP authentication, insert the line: UseDefaultSmtp=1.

Word of caution:  Do not use the double hash # when you make the Default entries in the .ini for pop3 and IMAP.  The dh is only used to prepend your username in the email client settings.

Without clogging up the forum, please go back over the Avast Help for manual configuration step by step to the letter.  I think the problem lies there.

I am sure that you know this, but manual configuration requires compatible changes to both the .ini and email client properties.

My research turned up something about Pegasus and IMAP settings which I will need to find.

I hope we will have the answer soon.

techie

Technical,
Correct me if I am wrong here or if I am not explaining it clearly.  You and I seem to be carrying the ball on this one.  The A team must be on holiday.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 05:59:40 PM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2003, 06:00:25 PM »
Techie, Technical,

I will be on the forum later, but quickly for now, I'll try to clear one of the points  8).. .. ..

I can see that you guy's are a little bemused by the 'username' format. Let me explain a bit.

Telefonica is the National telephone company here in Spain. Under their umbrella, they run several different ISP's, one is called 'Terra', one is called 'Teleline', another is called 'Telefonica' etc, etc. With me so far? . Right, nearly all of these (Telefonica) ISP's use the same dial-up number (telepnone number) and they all 'partially' share servers (both host and mail). I'll add a paragraph break so we can think about this!.  ;)

Okay, on to what this means in reality.. .. Where this 'username.terra.es' is (I think) confusing you guy's, and I agree it is not the same as my other (domain hosted) accounts, is that I need to specify the ".terra.es" on the end of my username so as 'Telefonica' knows which of it's many main and mail servers my account(s) are located on. ie.. .. if I was to just have for example 'walker' in the username box, Telefonicawould not know whether I was a 'Terra' a/c, a 'Teleline a/c' and so on. Does this clarify this.

You might see the format of username for my ISP here (Technical will be ok with Spainsh, I sure you are too Techie  ;) ):-

http://www.terra.es/tarifaplana/ayuda/configoutlook.htm

Will catch up with you later, just wanted to try to clear this point up.

Having said all of this, I'm still not ruling out my own insanity as a contributing factor  :P

Thanks guy's  :) ,

Walker.

Walker

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2003, 07:25:12 PM »
Guy's,

I'm back   8)  sorry  :)

Ok again just quickly, my 'real accounts' settings actually have 60 secs for time-outs. I'm not experiencing any time-out problems (except when an ISP server goes down totally  :( ) so I'm not to keen on setting any of the time outs to 600 sec (10 minutes!) Technical!.. .. I'd give up e-mail altogether if it took this long to establish a connection  ;) .

Could you also give me an idea why you want me to set the 'auto mail check' to every 600 secs as opposed to me clicking manually when I want to do a mail check ?. This will give me an error whilst I am off-line, composing messages or whatever!.

Here's my mail scanner setion from Avast.ini .. .. I think this is how it should be Y/N?

[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=pop3.terra.es
DefaultSmtpServer=mailhost.terra.es
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0
Log=20

I didn't want to mention this.. .. I have another 8 e-mail a/c's set up in Pegasus  8) <I do, but only joking, the one we are working on is the 'main' and most problematic>

W.

Walker

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2003, 07:48:20 PM »
Hi Technical,

Just going through you post. I'll leave the username issue until we all clarify/agree on this point. But for info.. ..

peg-1.gif: Check 'Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)'. As Techie said, we may need to look at this later on to determine if anything shows as to why the connection is lost. Its a valuable tool. I cannot imagine that this option could slows things down as you said... Remember: Your address: Walker@pop3.terra.es

From Pegasus's own help files..

"Create Internet session logs (advanced diagnostic use only)  Checking this control tells Pegasus Mail to create special log files that show the entire exchange of information between it and the servers it connects to. Each session will be created in a file called TCPxxxx.WPM in your home mailbox directory (the "xxxx" is replaced by four digits). Creating session logs will slow down the performance of your system somewhat.."

I have turned it on anyway  ;)

[peg-8.gif: Never 'Use SSL/TLS security'. Seems ok. No comments. 'Do a prior POP3 login to authenticate before sending mail' using this POP3 definition: Walker. I think it's better the second option: 'Login to the SMTP server using the following details: Username: #smtp.isp   and   Password: <blank> or your own. Do not add 'Walker' before the #smtp.isp

As mentioned to Techie, 'pop before send' is the one I have found most reliable. However, I'm not going to ask for help and then not take your advice. I will try the other options again (just to refresh my memory as to why they didn't work as good  ;) ) , but for the moment, I have no problems with sending mail (only when the receive mail also fails), so it might be better if I concentrate on the pop settings first, rather than changing everything and not knowing what has done what !  ;)

Pegasus seems to be very powerful on settings! I'm impressed!

I like it.. .. there loads more facilities/settings if you want to give it a try sometime.

Do you need more help?

YES  ;D

Walker.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 07:55:17 PM by Walker »