Author Topic: What happens if!  (Read 76978 times)

Walker

Re:What happens if!
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2003, 07:31:11 PM »
Technical,

I've e-mailed you screenshots of OE setup.

W.

I'll make some tests...
Anyway, the screenshots show that you are not using avast! to scan both the Inbound and the Outbound messages...  :'(
What I want is OE working with avast! and your configurations...
Wait a little, I'll post.

Technical,

Now don't get 'picky'  :P I said that I had installed OE just to confirm the settings for you  ;D. I just wanted to show you how the basic settings are configured. I took a 'wild guess' and concluded you know how to to port in through Avast  ;D ;D ;D. Also, I don't use Spamihilator so I would'nt know what to tell you about that.

Basics first, then we can add other things  ;D ;)

O-G-W

techie101

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2003, 11:08:41 PM »
Walker,

I have not forgotten about you.  I know you and Technical will think that I am nuts for trying this, but have you tried shutting down every non-essential program in Startup and then trying the email?

I know it's a very very long shot, but we really aren't making headway.  I want to rule out any chance of a compatibility problem when Avast is running with Pegasus and another program.

I just wish the Avast team would take a more proactive part in this discussion.  Right now, Technical is carrying the weight on this.

Did you try and recheck the Internet Log?

techie
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 11:09:51 PM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2003, 01:52:05 AM »
Walker,

I have not forgotten about you.

Techie,

No problem at all, it is not an easy one  ;)

Vojtech has, as you know, jumped in. Give him a break over the weekend  :) ,perhaps it has nothing to do with the rest of the Alwil team who have been active on the forum ::) .. I don't know.

I'm not thinking your suggestion is 'nuts'  :) (anything is worth a try). The only problem is, because it's an intermittent problem and I never know when it is going to happen, I would be without apps that I use whilst waiting for the problem to occur.

This doesn't stop my e-mail totally, I can always remove the routing through localhost and Avast when it happens (remove the 127.0.0.1 and #mailserver) from my Pegasus a/c's config and then can send/receive mail again. It is just a real nuisance to have to go through this and then reset it all again.

As mentioned earlier, I have the logs on but for the reasons I said, I haven't caught anythng yet  :'(

However, whilst your mentioning 'nuts'  ;) .. .. I'll throw something else in. I don't think it is relavent, so I have been trying NOT to confuse the situation further, but at this stage, what the heck  :-\

In Pegasus I have 9 a/c's (one is duplicated and used to send/receive ALL a/c's). Five of the a/c's are ISP hosted the other four are on my websites domain mail servers.

The five ISP hosted a/c's include three that have the (what Technical finds strange  :) ) username format (ie the mail server appended to the username). The four 'hosted' a/c's are a more common username format.

Now I'm not saying that the username format is the problem, this is just for the 'pot'. But it sometimes, but not always only one of these nine a/c's that fails to connect through Avast (the first one to be checked). Again, I say 'sometimes', but I get the feeling that by the time Pegasus/Avast get to the second and so on a/c's to be checked the interaction between which ever program is causing the problem has 'sorted itself out' !. Perhap's this is 'nuts', but I'm stumped for ideas.  :-\

Another thing I mentioned to the Alwil team some time ago, was I get the gut feeling that the situation gets worst and/or improves with Avast update versions. But you know what it is like when your pulling your hair out looking for answers..  :'(

Thanks as always for your interest
Walker

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2003, 10:51:15 AM »
Walker, you might've said that already (y'know I'm too lazy to read the 7-page discussion now :)) but does the problem happen even if you try to pop the mail from just one single account (if Pegasus lets you do it...).

Because my impression is that Pegasus is in fact trying to do the things in parallel and the Internet Mail provider somehow doesn't like that... That would explain the more or less random behaviour you're describing - the result would depend on exact timing...

Cheers,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2003, 01:03:53 PM »
but does the problem happen even if you try to pop the mail from just one single account (if Pegasus lets you do it...).

Hi Vlk,

Welcome to the foray  :) . I believe so, but let me elaborate..

Of those nine a/c's, one is duplicated (actually the first one to be checked). The reason being is, eight a/c's are set to pop/smtp individualy, the ninth (duplicate) pop/smtp's ALL a/c's consecutively except the one of which it is a duplicate.

Now my normal course of action (mail run (in/out)), is to use that 'duplicate'.. ie check them all at once.

Okay, now what happens when there is a problem.. . usually (but not always) the first (duplicated) a/c fails, so I OK Pegasus's error message (Invalid username/password returned from ISP etc). This is where the 'usually but not always comes in'.. . nearly every time the rest of the a/c's are actioned normally after clearing the error message from the first a/c.

Now, when that scenario happens, I will try the 'original' of the 'duplicate' a/c (which does'nt check ALL of the others). This then fails and to send/rec., I have to take out the localhost routing.

The 'parallel' action theory might be a good one, I don't know. What is normal for Pegasus and what I normally see with this application, is each a/c flashes what it is doing consecutively in Pegasus's reporting bar (bottom left of Peg main window).

As Technical is hooked on this extra dot (period) in the username format, I am hooked (rightly or wrongly  ;) ) on the thing that the Avast 'Blue Light' icon doesn't appear when there is going to be a problem. My 'simple' mind say's that either Pegasus hasn't sent the command to Avast or Avast hasn't recieved a command (sounds the same, but a subtle difference  :) ).

For the sake of the forum and the longevity of this thread, should I give up on this  ??? .

btw; if that was a hint, lazy was mentioned by another user in a totally different thread.. . NOT me  ;)

Walker.

techie101

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2003, 03:17:00 PM »
Walker,

Don't give up on this.  Believe it or not, I think we have hit on something with your explanation of how you receive your mail.
VLK has indicated an area we have not looked into.

I will get back to you later today. I have to run out for awhile then I wil make some notes.

techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2003, 03:47:13 PM »
Walker,

Don't give up on this.  Believe it or not, I think we have hit on something with your explanation of how you receive your mail.
VLK has indicated an area we have not looked into.

I will get back to you later today. I have to run out for awhile then I wil make some notes.

techie

Thanks techie, but I think I won't have enough time to 'debug' this thread anymore... It's going out of my knowleage... Anyway, I'll keep in touch with this forum and thinking in my leasure time  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2003, 04:39:43 PM »
Don't give up on this.  Believe it or not, I think we have hit on something.. ..

I love it when you say things like this  ;D

Excited anticipation Techie  :) :) :)

Walker

techie101

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2003, 05:25:39 PM »
Technical,
Your assistance is always valuable, so keep track on this one.  I think we'll get it soon.

Walker,
Try this.  I want you to deactivate the email address that you use as the "collector".(what you referred to as the ALL a/c)  Are you using "email forwarding" on your other accounts to the collector?

Run Pegasus by manually checking the mail for each account.  I know this is time consuming, but I have a funny feeling that Pegasus and Avast loose the connection in trying to manipulate and funnel 9 accounts of very similar username into one server folder (Inbox) that Avast is trying to scan.  Since  the "thought-pattern" cannot be maintained the connection is dropped.

If that does not do it, then configure Avast to scan ONLY the "collector" a/c.  Right now, I think we are asking Avast to do too much.  I am almost certain that if you configure Avast to the All a/c using the right SMTP and POP3 coding, and username......it should work.

Once we have identified at least the cause, then we can figure out how to fix it.  
I hope I am making sense to you (and even more than that....hope I am right.  ;D

techie
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 05:29:09 PM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2003, 07:16:31 PM »
Techie,

I think we're all seeing a common problem now  :) . I'm going to consider the effects of your suggestions off-line shortly.

Let me just clarify, in case I see some misunderstanding creeping in ;)..

Try this.  I want you to deactivate the email address that you use as the "collector".(what you referred to as the ALL a/c)  Are you using "email forwarding" on your other accounts to the collector?

No I'm not using 'mail forwarding'. What you call a 'collector' is merely a 'duplicate' of one of my mail accounts which I've set up in Pegasus. ie.. . I have two accounts with exactly the same details (e-m address, username, p-word etc). The reason for the duplicate is solely so that I can config it to check all of the accounts (activate the 'check all a/c's' in Pegasus for that duplicate profile) in one 'hit'. I think I might not be explaining this adequately  :-\ .

Run Pegasus by manually checking the mail for each account.

OK. I'll just NOT check the 'duplicate' account for a period and see what happens.

.. . but I have a funny feeling that Pegasus and Avast loose the connection in trying to manipulate and funnel 9 accounts of very similar username into one server folder (Inbox) that Avast is trying to scan.

I'm not quiet sure I follow you here, perhaps this is the Avast operation that I don't understand  :( . Are we saying that e-mail actually gets into the inbox (be that Pegasus or whatever e-m client) and scans mail once it is in the inbox?. I really don't know where I get my assumption from, but I kinda thought that incoming mail was scanned before reaching the inbox. But a good point you raise for thinking about.

Since  the "thought-pattern" cannot be maintained the connection is dropped.

Exactly what happens in my brain  ;D

.. .Right now, I think we are asking Avast to do too much.  I am almost certain that if you configure Avast to the All a/c using the right SMTP and POP3 coding, and username......it should work.

I'm losing you a bit here, are we still of the opinion that there is an account 'settings error' ?

I hope I am making sense to you (and even more than that....hope I am right.  ;D .

Nearly LOL ;D . But this is all good reasoning and worth experimentation.

Thanks Techie.

Walker.

techie101

« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2003, 11:50:25 PM »
[quote I think we're all seeing a common problem now  :) [/quote/
and I think we will see a common solution soon!

[quote  What you call a 'collector' is merely a 'duplicate' of one of my mail accounts which I've set up in Pegasus. ie.. . I have two accounts with exactly the same details (e-m address, username, p-word etc).
Yes, I understand what you are doing.  What I am trying to do is to see if Avast will work when configured to the account that you use to collect all your email from the other accounts.  Clearer?

Pegasus and Avast loose the connection in trying to manipulate and funnel 9 accounts of very similar username into one server folder (Inbox) that Avast is trying to scan.

Actually, you are correct and I did not explain.  Your email is separated on the ISP server into an inbox which is then sent to your computer via POP3.  Avast will scan the email before sending to your email client inbox on your computer.  A bit clearer I think.  Yes?

I am almost certain that if you configure Avast to the All a/c using the right SMTP and POP3 coding, and username......it should work

What I am trying in vain to determine is whether we can get Avast and Pegasus to work by scanning only one account, and that one is the a/c which you use to open all the other a/cs.
Instead of Avast trying to scan all the a/cs, it might work with just one.

I'm losing you a bit here, are we still of the opinion that there is an account 'settings error' ?
I would not say an account settings error, but more a procedural error.

But this is all good reasoning and worth experimentation.
Yes, I think so.  At this point we need more info.  I really think a solution or at least a workaround is in the future!

techie

techie101

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2003, 11:52:13 PM »
I think we're all seeing a common problem now  :)

What you call a 'collector' is merely a 'duplicate' of one of my mail accounts which I've set up in Pegasus. ie.. . I have two accounts with exactly the same details (e-m address, username, p-word etc
Yes, I understand what you are doing.  What I am trying to do is to see if Avast will work when configured to the account that you use to collect all your email from the other accounts.  Clearer?

Pegasus and Avast loose the connection in trying to manipulate and funnel 9 accounts of very similar username into one server folder (Inbox) that Avast is trying to scan.
Actually, you are correct and I did not explain.  Your email is separated on the ISP server into an inbox which is then sent to your computer via POP3.  Avast will scan the email before sending to your email client inbox on your computer.  A bit clearer I think.  Yes?

I am almost certain that if you configure Avast to the All a/c using the right SMTP and POP3 coding, and username......it should work

What I am trying in vain to determine is whether we can get Avast and Pegasus to work by scanning only one account, and that one is the a/c which you use to open all the other a/cs.
Instead of Avast trying to scan all the a/cs, it might work with just one.

But this is all good reasoning and worth experimentation.
Yes, I think so.  At this point we need more info.  I really think a solution or at least a workaround is in the future!

techie

Walker

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2003, 12:18:40 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ahha.. got ya. Actually the 'duplicate' and obviously the 'original' of which it is copied from, IS the PRIME a/c. ie the one that has the pop/smtp set in the Avast.ini file.

Yes, that is what will happen if I do NOT use the 'duplicate' a/c. ie the duplicate being a copy of the original, the original does not have the 'check all other a/c's checked  ;)

;) Procedural is good  ;) is this a bit like my 'interaction' theory ?  :)

At this point we need more info.  I really think a solution or at least a workaround is in the future!

I've implemented all of your suggestions Techie. Waiting now for further developments or a problem to occur  :-\ 8)

I have three german shepherd dogs.. .. I'd rather try to get a bone off of them than get you to give up on a problem LOL  ;D

Thanks,
W.

techie101

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2003, 05:30:25 PM »
Walker,

Nope...won't give up on this one.  It intrigues me!
I think I have it by the tail now!
but sometimes I bite my own.   ;D

Let me know what developes.  Since you do not have the main account set to check all accounts, this will be where we will go to next.

If we ultimatley can configure one account to gather your mail, then have Avast scan only that account, then we will have the answer.

techie

Walker

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2003, 06:33:40 PM »
Nope...won't give up on this one.  It intrigues me!
I think I have it by the tail now!
but sometimes I bite my own.   ;D

;D  ;D  ;D

Techie  8)

Whilst I'm 'throwing things in the pot' (and as we seem to have lost the A team again  ::) ) .. . here's something that's come to my mind and you could either say I'm raving or it might be another thing to 'think' about  :)

Yesterday I found a port open on my machine (5000). I haven't found out why it's open or how to close it yet :-\ . BUT.. . in the process of trying to find out more, I re-set Sygate (took out all the 'allowed' apps and let it start asking for confirmations again).

OK, that is'nt too important and not the point I want to make. However, whilst Sygate is merrily asking me to allow/disallow etc., applications, I noticed that the Alwil servers and Avast make more calls to one and other than I had previously realised. I think I counted three at least during an on-line session (without any updates).

My point, I wonder if this is having any adverse effect on my mail. Thinking aloud here.. . could it be that Avast is busy doing other things and not having the resourses to action the mail requests?. What do you think, kinda ties in (warped minds being what they are  :) ) with our 'procedural'/'interaction' theories  ???

Walker.