Author Topic: Anyone used " UnHackMe " ?  (Read 21912 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Anyone used " UnHackMe " ?
« on: March 09, 2006, 03:28:58 PM »
Hi . Just curious if anyone has used this Anti-Trojan .
I was looking for an Anti-Trojan scanner and saw this product mentioned in a thread of favorite malware programs at what I feel is a reputable Malware Forum...
I'd never heard of it , so downloaded  and are running it. It claims to ; " Detect and remove rootkits ".
Your antivirus could not detect such programs because they use compression and encryption of its files. The sample software is Hacker Defender rootkit.
UnHackMe allows you to detect and remove Rootkits.

http://greatis.com/unhackme/

It sits in the tray near the clock and Avast! icons, and scans every minute.Here's a sample from its Log:
Start checking at 3/8/2006 time:5:51:04 AM
Finishing checking at 5:51:05 AM
-------------------------------------------------------
Start checking at 3/8/2006 time:5:53:20 AM
Finishing checking at 5:53:21 AM
Start checking at 3/8/2006 time:5:56:14 AM
Finishing checking at 5:56:17 AM
Start checking at 3/8/2006 time:5:58:58 AM
Finishing checking at 5:58:59 AM
Start checking at 3/8/2006 time:6:00:09 AM
Finishing checking at 6:00:10 AM
Start checking at 3/8/2006 time:6:01:09 AM
Finishing checking at 6:01:10 AM
Start checking at 3/8/2006 time:6:02:09 AM
Finishing checking at 6:02:10 AM
Start checking at 3/8/2006 time:6:03:09 AM
Finishing checking at 6:03:10 AM

Whether it really is doing anything is why I'm asking here if anyone else is trialling UnHackMe . How it could scan for Rootkits & Trojans once a minute ,  in  one second , seems hard to believe . Maybe it is possible ,  ;D  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Anyone used " UnHackMe " ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:40:21 PM »
I got the program, just in case but not installed though. It is one of the few rootkit revealers that can actually remove rootkits rather than simply reveal them. Many others just present you with a bunch of information that you have to interpret.

A forum search will show it has been frequently mentioned in the forums. A google search is likely to reveal (no pun intended) more, perhaps a user support forum or examples/tutorials of use ?

I suppose once it has run once subsequent checks would be quicker, its scans differ from avast as it isn't scanning the system but the difference between what is actually running and what is being shown by the windows interface to be running (very simplified description).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »
Thanks for your reply DavidR .
I've searched their forum , not a lot of positive information really, just the kind of question I asked; "Is this thing working ? " The Forum moderator replies ; "Yes "  ;)
It's a very' light ' program, very little memory usage . You can see the mouse pointer become active each minute
but no real system lag.

It is one of the few rootkit revealers that can actually remove rootkits rather than simply reveal them. Many others just present you with a bunch of information that you have to interpret.

A forum search will show it has been frequently mentioned in the forums. A google search is likely to reveal (no pun intended) more, perhaps a user support forum or examples/tutorials of use ?
O.K. , I didn't think to do a search here first,  :-[ , one day I'll wise up and realise mostly everything has been discussed HERE at one time or another.  :)  Thanks David, I'll Google around and see what info is available.

This certainly is a great find then. I really don't trust everything I read , but if someone @  Avast! forum such as yourself gives the thumbs up I feel easy in mind.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 05:06:24 PM »
I've installed and used it and like you Abraxas, I'm puzzled how it can scan so quickly to tell me that nothing was found. :)
Unless what it needs to scan doesn't require a gread deal of time.  ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:43:37 PM »
Yes Bob it's got me puzzled. I'm going to look hard at the support forum, and do some searches. The thing seems way to light (weight) ... but some research may shed some light on to it.
From what I understand, a Rootkit targets "nulls" in the registry , empty spaces where they can hide out, undetected.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »
I just got a reply at the " UnHackMe / Greatis Software forum " to a queery I made as to how this app works.
Hi,

UnHackMe detects rootkit using searching for hidden drivers/services in registry (by comparing extracted registry files) and by comparing the visible services list with actual list.
UnHackMe doesn't check all registry. It checks only keys required for auto start rootkits.
In addition UnHackMe detects hidden processes using kernel mode driver.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 03:28:11 PM »
Not so different to my attempt/lash up then ;D
its scans differ from avast as it isn't scanning the system but the difference between what is actually running and what is being shown by the windows interface to be running (very simplified description).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 02:14:08 PM »
Not so different to my attempt/lash up then ;D
its scans differ from avast as it isn't scanning the system but the difference between what is actually running and what is being shown by the windows interface to be running (very simplified description).
Yes DavidR , good intuitive / well educated description  ;D   (notice I didn't say ' guess ' ! )  ;)

Whether this app. is actually effective is still to be determined . I haven't picked up any Trojans lately, then again I dont get any Viruses...ever .  ;D

neal62

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:50:13 PM »
Hi Abraxas,
  I downloaded the 30 day evaluation version of this program. After installing I had it scan and I came away clean, no rootkits. I believe it is a good program so far. Doesn't seem to be causing my pc any problems. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Will monitor the program over the next month and see how it fares.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 02:43:31 AM »
UnHackMe allows you to detect and remove Rootkits.
Does anybody really confirm this?
Maybe just advertisement to sell the product... Rootkits removers?  ::)
In fact, I'm waiting for a free version of a program like this  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 08:11:55 AM »
Hi forum members,

I think in downloading the program, you must be aware of the source. The downloads from majorgeeks must be considered free of malware, but there are downloads around on the net that come bundled with what some consider to be adware/spyware. Always triple pre-scan your downloads (DrWeb pre-hyperlink, siteadvisor, virusscan of zipfile before unpacking, eventuial info on SpywareGuide.com. I rate the workings of UnHack me in the same realms as Bazooka. Rather keep an eye on my OS with SSM.(system monitoring prtogram). We are now in the days that we need layered protection: FW, AV, AT, AS, SM, IDS, IBP = firewall, antivirus, anti-trojan, system monitoring, intrusion detection, in-browser protection. When 64-bit comes in we also have "Paladium" and strict certification protection on the motherboard and software environment.

polonus

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »
I rate the workings of UnHack me in the same realms as Bazooka.
Indeed, Bazooka is useless for me... never even detect anything, nothing...

Rather keep an eye on my OS with SSM (system monitoring program).
Maybe it will be useful to share info about SSM. Could be a nightmare if the user do not know how to use it. Could be a great and fantastic protection if he knows it. http://syssafety.com/download/ssm-2.0.0?pid=100
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 09:00:18 PM »
Hallo Tech,

Well SSM is a great program, and in addition to other security programs making your system really secure. You can use this to its fullest, but the basic monitoring is also good, the settings work a bit like you set ZA. But it is better when you fully understand what your are doing, and what you agree too. Some here said it was the first time that they felt complete control over their boxes, and I agree. Learn to work this clever program, and it will be a great companion. "Chapeau" to the Russian developers, very clever coders. Naboj!

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!