Author Topic: Big Problem Avast and Windows XP Mode on Windows 7 computer 32-64 bit  (Read 2481 times)

REDACTED

Since the last major engine update we have had a lot of problems with Windows XP mode. On multiple machines the program doesn't function anymore. I have to disable the option for Hardware Virtualisation to get XP Mode running again, while it is suggested to have this option enabled. Then each day every computer loses his TCP/IP connection with the server.
I did some tests with VMware and then I have to enable the Hardware Virtualisation. And then the program (Navision) runs without problems.
But I don't want to buy 20 licenses for VMWare, because XPMode is for free and did always function right.
So I did another test. I deleted Avast Internet Security and installed Avira Free.
And since I installed Avira on 4 computers all problems with XP Mode are resolved, the program functions faultless and doesn't lose the connection.
Does this mean I have to stop using Avast?
I have 20 licences till 2019

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Big Problem Avast and Windows XP Mode on Windows 7 computer 32-64 bit
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »
It is know that certain Hardware Virtualisation's don't work (well) together, just keep it disabled.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
Yes ^.

This recent thread may also be of use:-

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=198863.0 

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
My Windows XP Mode application (Navision) only connects to an in-house database server. Connection through TCP/IP. So XP Mode doesn't connect to the internet and have no virus application running. XP Mode runs on all Windows 7 Pro machines which use(d) Avast Security.
The hardware visualisation in Avast is disabled, so XP Mode functions, only a couple of times each day XP loses the connection to the database server.

I installed VMWare Workstation on a couple of machines. On those machines I have to enable hardware visualisation and everything works fine.
But I don't want to pay for 15 to 20 licenses for VMWare, XP mode is for free.

On a couple of other machines I deleted Avast and replaced it with Avira Free. All problems resolved.

So I believe the problem is caused by Avast.
I still have 20 licenses till 2019.
To get everything back in order is to buy 20 licenses for Avira, but on the other hand that would be stupid.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:18:53 AM »
It doesn't matter much if the connection is to the Internet or a local network.
They basically work the same.

Instead of VMWare (or using XP mode), you might consider using Oracle VirtualBox.
It is free.
No license (payment) required no matter on how many systems you install it.

By replacing avast with Avira, you have less protection.
I would say take one system, use Oracle VirtualBox and avast on it and see if it works like you want.