Author Topic: "Resolve" button does NOTHING after Full Virus Scan on two different Win 7 PCs  (Read 9385 times)

Offline glnz

Alikhan -

1.  Thanks for links - I'll try to test later today.

2.  Yes, I repaired and rebooted - no help.

Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
As a temporary measure for the full scan, since the files have already been quarantined, you could try clicking the drop down on "Auto" and choose the ignore option, just ensure Avast doesn't create an exclusion for the files in the settings.

I don't know why that's still there for you though, after a reboot, that dialog should go.

You are running the latest version of v17, right? 17.2.2288.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline glnz

Alikhan - I have tried everything I could think of other than UNinstalling (with Avast clean).

Yes, I already tried the other dropdowns, including "Auto" and (I recall) "Ignore".  No help.  Every time I try to do a new Full Virus Scan, I get that same screen showing the same two (now deleted) files, and I cannot start a new Full Virus Scan.

It's not only that the "Resolve" function doesn't move.  It is STUCK.  Really stuck. 

Yes - 17.2.2288.

Version 17 is a garbage program.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:11:45 PM by glnz »
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Try this:

Avast UI > Settings > Troubleshooting > Disable the self defence protection

Then kill Avast antivirus processes via Task manager (Avast Service and Avast UI) and then start Avast again.

Enable self defence again...

If that doesn't fix it, your installation is messed up somehow. You'd need to do a clean install.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline glnz

Alikhan - Thanks for suggestion.  I'll try later today.

Dumb Q - If I actually stop Avast, how do I "start" it?  Is it listed in my Start - Programs button?  I'm used to Avast starting automatically at bootup - I don't think I've ever started it manually !!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Alikhan - Thanks for suggestion.  I'll try later today.

Dumb Q - If I actually stop Avast, how do I "start" it?  Is it listed in my Start - Programs button?  I'm used to Avast starting automatically at bootup - I don't think I've ever started it manually !!

Yes.

You have a desktop icon of Avast too.

Offline glnz

Alikhan - I win Dumbest Question of the Day.  Do I get a prize?

Thanks.  This might take me a few days since I'll need to do a full backup before trying to UNinstall.  Thanks for your patience and suggestions.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Alikhan - I win Dumbest Question of the Day.  Do I get a prize?

Thanks.  This might take me a few days since I'll need to do a full backup before trying to UNinstall.  Thanks for your patience and suggestions.

For future reference, if required (clean install)

1.Download your version of avast!, the avastclear tool and save them to the desktop:

Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Pro Antivirus
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier

Download Avast Clear Tool

2. Uninstall Avast from Control Panel (if possible) and reboot.
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear. [Running Avastclear is normal mode will give a prompt to go into Safe Mode]
4. Install the version you downloaded.
5. Reboot.

Paid: If you have a paid license, insert the license key/activation code after the reboot at stage 6.

Offline glnz

Alikhan - By the way. I tried your suggestion:

Try this:

Avast UI > Settings > Troubleshooting > Disable the self defence protection

Then kill Avast antivirus processes via Task manager (Avast Service and Avast UI) and then start Avast again.

Enable self defence again...

but that did not work.

I'll be doing a total UNinstall, clean and re-install this weekend.  After making a full backup of my wife's SOHO computer.  It will take two hours.

Offline glnz

Alikhan - My total UNinstall and REinstall worked.

Thanks for the links.

REDACTED

And on my second Win 7 machine, I am STILL STUCK and cannot do another "Full Virus Scan".  Attached is a different jpg that shows what I get when I try to do another "Full Virus Scan" - and these WILL NOT "RESOLVE".

This is a major flaw in a core function for Avast - inexcusably bad.
same here win7 64 bit when i pressed resolve nothing happend i spam it 10 time in row and  it was freeze