Author Topic: Avast 17.3.2290 + 2291  (Read 87711 times)

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Re: NEW: Avast 17.3.2290 + 2291
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
Hello everyone. I have the  same problem, UI is not starting. I made clean install of Avast, but it did not help with this problem. What to do now? I'm tired of reinstall Avast today... 2291 ver. is not  installing offline now, but I'm sure that it won't work properly - I tried to install online updates and it didn't work too. This problem began on Wednesday, when I update my Avast online like many times before. I use Win XP Pro SP3 32bit. Help.
Upgrade your OS. XP is too old and no more supported by updates. You are not protected even you are use AV.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
I installed the new Avast 17.3.2290 program earlier today (thank you for that) - XP SP3

I am seeing this error in Event Viewer:

"The aswblDSAgent service failed to start due to the following error. The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I have looked at 'Services' under Control Panel - the 'Startup type' is set to 'Manual' - should I change it to 'Automatic'?

I take it that this is the Behaviour Shield?
As far as I know, the behavior shield doesn't work in XP.
Since I don't use XP, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately avast are keeping their cards close to their chest, with nothing in the changelog relating to any compatibility issue with WinXP.

Since there is nothing in the changelog and my XP installation has the behaviour shield enabled and the aswblDSAgent process is listed in the task manager. So I have to assume (I know) that it is compatible as it has been installed and appears to be running.

FYI. As anothet XP user of Avast Free. I have undergone update to 2291 via status GUI today on XP(SP3) and Win10 machines. Behaviour Shield is an installed component on both. Smart scan run OK. No problems seen so far.
Ed

Offline alicia.rose

Re: NEW: Ava17.3.2290st + 2291
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »
Thanks for the info Gopher John / rocksteady.

I repaired Avast 17.3.2290, restarted computer - normal, Behaviour Shield was on. Then I was notified that Avast needed to be updated. Clicked on 'update', 2291 was installed, restarted computer - normal, Behaviour Shield was on. Turned computer off then on again - "Your system is not fully protected", Behaviour Shield was not on.

This suggests that CryptoPrevent is not the cause, as the problem would not be intermittent. Will try a clean installation soon, but have a feeling I am stuck with this and will have to manually activate the Behaviour Shield.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:20:34 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: NEW: Ava17.3.2290st + 2291
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »
I repaired Avast 17.3.2290, restarted computer - normal, Behaviour Shield was on. Then I was notified that Avast needed to be updated. Clicked on 'update', 2291 was installed, restarted computer - normal, Behaviour Shield was on. Turned computer off then on again - "Your system is not fully protected", Behaviour Shield was not on.

Go to AvastUI | Settings | Components and make sure that Behaviour Shield is green. Restart Windows immediately after making the change and it should/might stick.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:55:20 PM by Gopher John »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2017, 11:59:06 PM »
Gopher John - Did as you instructed via Components, turned computer off and back on again - normal, Behaviour Shield on - "Your system is secured".

Will monitor over next few boot ups and report back over weekend - thank you.  :)

Offline Carpa

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2017, 02:50:41 AM »
Subject : Smart scan repeating after click one notifications again not fixed!

@TheOwner, and another person.

**To help you, (I use a Translator)**

When you use SmartScan, and when it's finished, (and that all it is well unrolled) one should not click on Detail (notifications), but on (X)on the right, closing it. Because while clicking on Detail, you order to him to start again. I do not believe that is Bug, it well is simply not explained by Avast.

Here by wishing that help you.  :)

I Includ 4 images to explain :

1- http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/1-afterfinishsmartscan.php
2- http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/2-afterfinishsmartscan.php
3- http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/3-afterfinishsmartscan.php
4- http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/4-afterfinishsmartscan.php
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:57:39 AM by Carpa »
Carpa
Intel Core -i3 2.2GHz - 6 Go RAM-Windows 7 Familiale Premium SP1-64 bits

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
Re 2291, I have the following comments:
Full Scan. They have now included a "Cancel" button, but no "Pause/Resume" Button we had in last major version. I would like to see this reintroduced if possible.
Full Scan. Progress indicator sits at 0% for a very long period, approx 20mins in my case on Win10 machine. Can't tell if anything actually being scanned or if Avast has hung with 0% and only the rotating spinner going round.
Percentage progress seems to be updated more frequently on WinXP with smaller HD.
I realise some of these "features" have been reported before. Unsure if they have been overlooked or ignored by Avast devs.
Ed

REDACTED

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
Carpa,

You are correct in how to exit the 'Notifications' screen, but 'Details' should give you a detailed log of the Smart Scan(s) that have been performed.
Clicking 'X' follows the windows paradigm of closing the window with no action.
People are clicking the 'Details' button/label to get a listing of the log. !!!
There is no other way to get the listing AFAIK.

There is no logical reason for the Smart Scan to be repeated, if it was a clean run you do not need to repeat it and if it found something it should have been cleaned up.
In either case there is no need to repeat the run.

Detail should mean 'Detailed log' otherwise the labeling is completely wrong.

Hope the english is clear enough. I would translate but don't know your native language.

Offline heikwith

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »
System crash in W10 Home when only playing music:
WhoCrashed info:

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: DH-PC-W10N
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 14393
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: MS-7797, MEDION
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8531890176 bytes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 01-04-2017 16:00:59 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\040117-6953-01.dmp
uptime: 02:18:33
This was probably caused by the following module: aswstm.sys (aswStm+0xBAA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800DA18E844, 0xFFFFE500A391AB40, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswstm.sys
product: Avast Antivirus
company: AVAST Software
description: Stream Filter
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswstm.sys (Stream Filter, AVAST Software).
Google query: AVAST Software SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

On Sat 01-04-2017 16:00:59 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
uptime: 02:18:33
This was probably caused by the following module: aswstm.sys (aswStm+0xBAA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800DA18E844, 0xFFFFE500A391AB40, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswstm.sys
product: Avast Antivirus
company: AVAST Software
description: Stream Filter
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswstm.sys (Stream Filter, AVAST Software).
Google query: AVAST Software SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

aswstm.sys (Stream Filter, AVAST Software)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »
System crash in W10 Home when only playing music...
Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB33#artTitle
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »
Upgrade your OS. XP is too old and no more supported by updates. You are not protected even you are use AV.

XP can still receive security updates with a single registry entry. Besides, old = wise

To anyone on the Internet saying XP is unsafe for home use, I say you are all bark no bite :P

It's a bit like a Linux user (Windows hater) coming in here to say that no Windows version is safe. How ever true or not that statement may be, we are not idiots and we do not care. Best to keep such opinions to themselves, since we know it is just another attempt to start a flame war.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:24:04 PM by soulstace »

REDACTED

« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
Hello everyone. I have the  same problem, UI is not starting. I made clean install of Avast, but it did not help with this problem. What to do now? I'm tired of reinstall Avast today... 2291 ver. is not  installing offline now, but I'm sure that it won't work properly - I tried to install online updates and it didn't work too. This problem began on Wednesday, when I update my Avast online like many times before. I use Win XP Pro SP3 32bit. Help.
I would be happy to do this, but can you imagine what hardware is in my machine, that I still use XP?) Yes, I like this OS and I know that it is very old system, but I forced use it)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:26:17 PM by Vladimir_ »

REDACTED

« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2017, 07:28:34 PM »
I would be happy to do this, but can you imagine what hardware is in my machine, that I still use XP?) Yes, I like this OS and I know that it is very old system, but I forced use it)

Don't feel bad, I've got new/fast hardware (quad cpu / ssd / etc.) and specifically install XP on it because newer versions of Windows annoy me that much.

Back to topic:
Is there any online documentation on how that newer advanced option to disable avast real-time works? (sorry I forget the exact term, "on-demand" perhaps?) Essentially, I prefer to start up avast service and UI manually, and do not want them running until I manually invoke them. In the past I tried doing so with SysInternals Autoruns tool but it seemed to de-stabilize the product so much that I had to uninstall Avast.

In other words, I'd like to use avast as an on-demand scanner only, from the Start menu (or right-click context menu), and I don't want it running in memory until I invoke it. Is there any supported configuration for this? Thanks.

P.S. - Before anyone makes any assumptions, my question has nothing to do with how much RAM Avast consumes. I simply do not want any startup processes continuously running on my system that I do not require. (Ideally that would also include the kernel/filter drivers etc.)

If this is not already a supported configuration please consider adding it in the future. Thanks much!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:42:43 PM by soulstace »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2017, 12:01:01 AM »
OK something that I have noticed, presumably because of the striving to fit the UI within low resolution screens. Every time I open the UI is is centre screen and it won't stay where I put it, the next time. Not so long ago we could move the UI and it remained there the next time it was opened.

I hate that even more than the massive size as I can't tuck that away to the side.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Carpa

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2017, 05:06:37 AM »
@Ruby-Tuesday,
HI,
If you look at the last image, No 4, it gives the detail of the scan. In this case, there is no problem.

“NB” I understand that in theory while clicking on detail, the scan should not start again, but it is not the case? However I have make this post to help
to reduce the problem which does not seem to be regulated, and to show that we can nevertheless manage to conclude.
I speak French.   ;)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

@ Asyn,
Hi,

I don't no if there your help... ?

http://www.file.net/process/aswstm.sys.html

I Hope.  :)
Carpa
Intel Core -i3 2.2GHz - 6 Go RAM-Windows 7 Familiale Premium SP1-64 bits