Author Topic: Avast for Business (cloud) and Drive Vaccine  (Read 2173 times)

REDACTED

Avast for Business (cloud) and Drive Vaccine
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »
Hi,

I work for a public library system in Arkansas.  I was so excited to have found the Avast Free for Education program a couple of years ago as our budget keeps going down instead of up.  All has been fine, but it appears that now we must, essentially downgrade to Avast for Business *Basic.  For my staff machines, this has been ok; my problem lies with our public access machines.

We use a product from Horizon Datasys called Drive Vaccine.  It rolls back the computer to a baseline at each restart.  In the past, with Endpoint Protection, all I had to do was make sure my license was installed for Avast, then add the executable to allow for updates.  With the new web based "subscription" I have tried activating the machine, then saving the baseline after it is activated.  Then the next day I have to activate the machine again.  Right now it only involves 4 computers, but I need to roll this out to all my public computers by the end of May when our current license expires.  I cannot be reactivating 150 computers every single day, or possibly multiple times a day if our "helpful" users turn then off when they are done, or reboot. 

I tried reaching out to Drive Vaccine folks, but don't think they really understood my dilemma.  They suggested to set it to manual, then activate and save a new baseline and then set back to our standard at each restart.  I have looked for a subscription file that perhaps I could protect, but cannot find anything.  With DV, I can set up a "thawed" partition, then installing Avast there under X:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast and it installs fine, then when I reboot it does not start with the computer.  The service is not listed under services.

We are not in a position to purchase new AV software, since this was not something we had budgeted for. 

Any suggestions?  I thought perhaps there may be users of both on this forum.

Thanks,
Vicky

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast for Business (cloud) and Drive Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »
Ive never used Drive Vaccine, but have seen software like it.  When using a console, the license is on the console and the clients check in there.

Try installing the Avast client with the Drive Vaccine disabled and then reboot. Activate the client in the console and give it time to cache the license files locally. Reboot again and then create your baseline and see if it sticks.  Ive reached out to see if I can find out where the license files cache to.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay