Author Topic: "Dll Register Server failed"...Help!  (Read 6623 times)

ditomagik

"Dll Register Server failed"...Help!
« on: March 18, 2006, 10:03:34 PM »
I cannot get my Avast registered...not working...any suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Dll Register Server failed"...Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 10:08:05 PM »
Any information ?
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

What error messages are you getting ?

Have you read this - Check out these links, http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-registration-license.html#idt_220 and avast! Video Tutorial - Insert Registration Key
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ditomagik

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 10:25:22 PM »
Yes, thanks for your reply..."Application cannot load skin."  Function "usiGetSkin" failed.   At this stage the page directs me to a "avast" online, which gives me instructions on how to correct this problem, however these instruction fail to correct the problem after multiple trys.  I then go to Microsoft which tells me that this message indicates that "Avast" does not have administrative credentials for my Windows XP, which prevents standard users, and that "Avast" cannot register using standard users's ID.  To resolve this behavior, I must then log on using administrative account, (?) and register the DLL.  (?)   

What?   How do I do that?

Sorry, I have been on this thing trying to make it work for a full eight hours.   Seems like I can't get any virus protection to work on this computer...This is my third attempt.

Ditomagik

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 12:55:34 AM »
Ensure that the user account that you are using is one that has administrator privileges.

You will have to register ACTSKIN4.OCX
Follow the instructions:

Select START -> RUN...
Enter the following command:
If you have Windows XP:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
Press OK (or Enter).
A message saying that the file was successfully registered should appear...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:59:29 AM »
For some reason, ActiveSkin (the 3rd party library avast uses for skinning) does not seem to be working on your system.
You can follow David's suggestion, if they do not help, as a workaround, we may disable skinning in avast - that should solve the problem. To do that, open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, look up the [UserInterface] section, and add the following entry:

StartWithSkin=0
The best things in life are free.

newace42

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 03:23:07 PM »
I had the same problem once. By any chance you don't a dell computer or used a dell CD to install your OS ? if so take the regsrv32.exe file from any other windows system (not installed with a dell cd)   and follow the instruction that were given above. it should work fine.

Ensure that the user account that you are using is one that has administrator privileges.
You will have to register ACTSKIN4.OCX
Follow the instructions:
Select START -> RUN...
Enter the following command:
If you have Windows XP:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
Press OK (or Enter).
A message saying that the file was successfully registered should appear...