Author Topic: Can't sign into TCFbank.com  (Read 19429 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't sign into TCFbank.com
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »
David - that means a member of the avast team asks not only for a URL to check it, but asks also for login information to a bank site? Never ...

You may say the user was careless, but such a question should never be asked from serious people.
Or do I misundestand something?

There is no direct question, only that he has tried to find the problem but can't replicate a user logon.

Asking for help could mean many things, you have contact with your bank (as a customer) and could contact their support explaining the issue and that avast are trying replicate the problem and why they are unable to. Their support and avast could then possibly communicate to try and resolve it.

This however may now have been found given Filip Braun post, Reply #23 "We were able to reproduce the issue and are working on a fix."
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
"Hi there,
I cannot simulate the problem with tcfbank.com since i don't have any real username, can you help me with this?
Thanks,
B."

David, I take issue with you stating "B" could have meant something other than asking for help with a user name to test the problem.  I didn't care since it was just the user name - and I thought I was helping him/Avast troubleshoot.  If he wanted me to "help" in other ways like you say calling the bank, etc, he would have said that, but your explanation is just not realistic.  He obviously needed a user name to test the problem, and that is what any reasonable person would conclude based on "username" "help me with this?".

With that said, I'm still wondering why my secret questions were locked out because of too many attempts.  I want to be careful with my conclusions on this - there could be a good reason this happened - although I was sincerely alarmed when I first found about about this.  And the lack of follow up when I asked about my account lock out because of these attempts is concerning as well.  Who ever made these attempts while troubleshooting should explain what happened.

Offline stibi

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 06:22:44 PM »
B. should answer, please.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »
<snip>
David, I take issue with you stating "B" could have meant something other than asking for help with a user name to test the problem.  I didn't care since it was just the user name - and I thought I was helping him/Avast troubleshoot.  If he wanted me to "help" in other ways like you say calling the bank, etc, he would have said that, but your explanation is just not realistic.  He obviously needed a user name to test the problem, and that is what any reasonable person would conclude based on "username" "help me with this?".
<snip>

You can take issue with it if you wish, I'm not a mind reader as to exactly what he wanted.

You could have responded to his PM and asked exactly what help he wanted, without sending anything. At which time you could have declined giving a user name (if that was what he was asking), I certainly wouldn't have sent it.

I'm also not an avast employee so I wouldn't know what the policy would be either,
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »
B. should answer, please.

Nothing stopping you from replying to his PM that he sent (even at this point) seeking confirmation.

REDACTED

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 12:31:51 AM »
"I'm not a mind reader as to exactly what he wanted. "

Looks like this is exactly what you are trying to do:)  Dave, I thought you did work at Avast, that's why I wanted to comment. I'll direct my comment differently this time. It doesn't really matter what you would do or not - the issue is Avast asked and I provided my user name for troubleshooting purposes.  I didn't give my SS number, passwords, or any real sensitive info - just a user name to an Avast employee. And I did send a message to Avast asking what happened with my bank account lock out due to the secret questions attempted too many times. The problem is, there has been no response from Avast at all - silence, no explanation.

Look, there could be a very good reasonable explanation for this.  At this point, I'll wait for Avast to comment - no more guessing, mind reading, etc.  Avast really should explain what really happened on their end.

John
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:35:25 AM by John974 »

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 03:52:11 AM »
Hi!  I found this thread while googling this problem - I figured it was something weird with Avast, so I guess I should wait for an update and just check my balance on my phone in the meantime.

What I will say is that, John974, I also had an issue where I had to get my account unlocked because it said that it had too many security question attempts.  However, I NEVER contacted Avast support or gave out my username - which means that it was me repeatedly trying to access the page that locked me out!  I don't know how it triggered that since I could never get to the point where I could type anything, but that was the reason.  That means that it is unlikely that an Avast employee actually tried to guess your security questions, because it locked me out of my account for the same reason when I was certainly the only person trying to get through to my account.

REDACTED

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 06:55:55 AM »
Sunnie, that is important information and I really appreciate you sharing it.  When entering the user name, the next screen is "page cannot be displayed" (caused by avast HTTPs bug) should be the secret question page - and it must somehow tally the attempt as a login failure - 3 o4 4 failures and it must lock out the user account for too many attempts.  Avast never responded to the inquiry about what happened with the account attempt lockout- they probably didn't know what to say -  not the best way to deal with it though.

Thanks again for the info - hopefully Avast will fix the TCF Bank log in issue soon

Offline stibi

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »
And once more - B. should answer, please. He doesn't need a rael name or account info to check wheather a site is accessable.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »
I think Sunnie has explained what happened.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline stibi

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
No. That's another situation.

In #3 John wrote
A few days ago someone from Avast wrote to me via Avast email system:
"Hi there,  I cannot simulate the problem with tcfbank.com since i don't have any real username, can you help me with this?
 Thanks,  B."

The reason for asking this is still open. And here we talk about security with a bank account ...

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »
HI, any updates for problem logging in to tcfbank.com? Couple days ago it didn't let me log in from work computer (blank page), and yesterday when I tried it again TCF directed me to call customer service due to "reached number of incorrect log in". I called and it was reset. Today again from home computer same problem - blank page "https://onlinebanking.tcfbank.com/fitcf/retail/logon/mfa/challenge" and TCF customer service said to call avast... How do I get in touch with them? Anything I can do?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2017, 11:11:06 PM »
HI, any updates for problem logging in to tcfbank.com? Couple days ago it didn't let me log in from work computer (blank page), and yesterday when I tried it again TCF directed me to call customer service due to "reached number of incorrect log in". I called and it was reset. Today again from home computer same problem - blank page "https://onlinebanking.tcfbank.com/fitcf/retail/logon/mfa/challenge" and TCF customer service said to call avast... How do I get in touch with them? Anything I can do?
Again reported to Avast.  :(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline prokopes

• Avast team
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »

Hi, this problem should now be fixed in Avast program versions 17.3.2290 and 17.3.2291. Could you please make sure that your Avast installation is updated to this version? (Avast menu - Settings - Update - Program - Update)

After that please restart your computer and try to access your TCF bank account again.