Author Topic: avast scan is very slow  (Read 9815 times)

Offline krypton

• Poster
avast scan is very slow
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:34:31 AM »
hello

my avast scan very slow when i do full system scan.

why avast is not increasing scanning speed.

i seen some other antivirus like mcaffe or kaspersky scan speed is fast than avast.

please send my feedback to avast for increasing scan speed.

because of avast slow speed i am not able to do full system scan as it takes about more than 90 minutes.

LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

REDACTED

Re: avast scan is very slow
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
Hi krypton

I have same problem.
First started when the first version, I think 17.1.2286 anyway when new look for avast came out.

Before full scan took around 35 to 40 minutes, now takes between 95 minutes and 110 minutes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
Have either of you done clean installs of the latest avast version ?

If you have two things come to mind:
1.  The Persistent cache would have been cleared and some default settings wouldn't be populating the Persistent cache. This would have the effect of slowing the scan for the first few scans.
2.  On the good side it could resolve/repair any underlying issues, but it would still slow the scans for the first few scans.

I Generally don't do on-demand scans, usually as a result of questions in the forums, but I haven't seen a major difference. However, my systems are relatively light on installed programs and media so any difference would be less than mega GB of data to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »
I am facing the same issue in multiple PC's of mine at my institute SourceKode[www.sourcekode.in], Could you suggest what needs to be done in order to speed this up? Or is it a hardware related issue?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
First I'm an avast user and not an avast employee, so I speak from personal experience and not from a developers perspective.

That said, are these systems using standalone installations of avast (Avast Free Antivirus / Pro Antivirus / Internet Security/ Premier) rather than one of the business solutions ?

You are more likely to have a better idea of the systems involved OS, CPU, RAM, etc. and see how that compares with systems unaffected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
Hi  DavidR

Yes I did a clean install when I installed version 17.1.2286. As the scan speed didn't did not improve, the last 2 updates I have only done update through GUI.

I have done a total of 8 scans, but does not seem to improve speed, of scan.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »
Check your scan settings:

1.  in the Performance section and ensure that the 'store data about scanned files in the persistent cache.' I believe that isn't enabled by default. Its all right having the setting 'Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache' enabled, but what populates it if the other options isn't checked.

In the same section, the file access option is I believe enabled by default, if not enable it.

2.  in the Sensitivity section I have the Links - 'follow links during scan' option disabled.

Even with those enabled/disabled it takes a few scans to see some benefit.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
Check your scan settings:

1.  in the Performance section and ensure that the 'store data about scanned files in the persistent cache.' I believe that isn't enabled by default. Its all right having the setting 'Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache' enabled, but what populates it if the other options isn't checked.

In the same section, the file access option is I believe enabled by default, if not enable it.

2.  in the Sensitivity section I have the Links - 'follow links during scan' option disabled.

Even with those enabled/disabled it takes a few scans to see some benefit.

I am using the scan settings I have always used. etc I use follow the links during scan.
But thanks for your info, very much appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »
You're welcome.

The follow links during scan can have an adverse effect as it would tend to override the 'Performance' - File Access benefits of reading files in the order they appear on disk.