Author Topic: Offline registration not available  (Read 16754 times)

REDACTED

Re: Offline registration not available
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
Ok, then I don't understand, why Avast removes a 10kB-option in a 685MB program (size of Avast program folder), just to open a security risk...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 11:42:32 PM »
Ok, today I downloaded the current version and updated the program. Same problem, there is still no option to enter the offline registration code (see attached screenshot). Any help?

Have you linked this installation to your my.avast.com account ?
How to do that offline? As mentioned above, the PC gets access to quite a lot of USB-sticks, but I will not connect it to the internet. Never. So I need a solution for true (!!!) offline (!!!) use.

Just have a look at my signature, XP Pro is still my main system and it is what I also use for beta testing. I also have a win7 netbook and this win10 laptop that I'm on at present.

If you are going to use XP to connect, it may be less secure because of no updates on Microsoft, but you still have avast and any other security based software, firewall, anti-malware, etc. But common sense also plays a part in avoiding infection, however it is best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Having a robust backup and recovery strategy is possibly the most important thing. For me that is having Hard disk imaging software is such a strategy to make it easy to set your system back to what it was before any issue should you experience a problem you can't live with.
-  I run a hard drive drive image weekly and keep copies of the last 6 drive images. The worst case scenario being I lose the last 6 days of changes. But some of the software allows for incremental updates so only new entries or modified elements which could be run daily. In this case you could be down to only losing changes within the last day.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 12:42:26 AM »
You are talking about usb devices.
A good start would be installing McShield if you don't have it already.

Ok, then I don't understand, why Avast removes a 10kB-option in a 685MB program (size of Avast program folder), just to open a security risk...
What has that got to do with registration ?
Ofcourse size changes as avast (as well as many other programs) are using temp files.
It has nothing to do with a security risk.

You have a system that is conencted to the Internet.
If you believe that system is properly protected, use ICS to connect the XP system to the Internet through that system.
The first system will "protect the XP system"

If you want more security, get and use a good hardware firewall and put a av on the router.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 10:50:56 AM »
You have a system that is conencted to the Internet.
That's wrong, my system is not and will never be connected to the internet. What's so hard to understand that? As Avira stopped its support for XP I was looking for another antivirus program and stopped by Avast, as it seemingly offered a solution for offline operation on a specific PC with full installer, activation code by email and downloadable update packages. So everything what you need. But unfortunately it doesn't work! So if you don't have a solution except "connect your PC running a completely outdated operating system with security holes the size of barn doors to the internet", please stop replying.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 11:22:27 AM »
And how do you post here ?

I've just tested it and it is working :
https://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Get it over and done with.

Forget about the security holes.
Every OS has them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
<snip>

That surely shouldn't be beyond your reasoning, by using another device.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
So he can get the registration code for the free version per email and print it/write it down or whatever he likes and use it on the XP system.

Problem solved, I would say.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »
<snip>

That surely shouldn't be beyond your reasoning, by using another device.
Right. Privately I use approx. 5 different PCs, one of them is the XP machine.

... and use it on the XP system.

Errrr, no. Because there isn't any possibility to enter the license code. That is the problem.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:09:33 PM by Watweissich »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
So he can get the registration code for the free version per email and print it/write it down or whatever he likes and use it on the XP system.

Problem solved, NO. See the attached image in Reply #7.

Getting the registration email is only half of the issue, if you can't enter it then you're stuffed. There is no input option for the free registration number in the UI, only for the input of the paid activation code or the paid license.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
Have you tried putting the free key in the paid activation code input?

Also, offline installation is officially no longer supported on Vista and XP because new CEF (only one boundled in offline installer because of size) is not supported there and the online installer will download the correct CEF version
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 04:54:18 PM »
Have you tried putting the free key in the paid activation code input?
<snip>

Unless avast have changed this recently, that just used to return an error, though nothing ventured nothing gained or confirmed.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »
I tried it of course, but the number 1.) doesn't fit and 2.) isn't accepted.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
I tried it of course, but the number 1.) doesn't fit and 2.) isn't accepted.

Unfortunately I thought this was going to be the case.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »
I've got an update on this:

There is no need to register the free version via key anymore.

The offline will auto register automatically.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »
Ok, how? Just wait another 30 days and see what happens? Autoregister sounds like an internet connection is required...