Author Topic: Error 82  (Read 11457 times)

jagdiver

Error 82
« on: March 20, 2006, 12:43:41 AM »
I have a computer that had Avast Home on it and then it wouldnt allow me to update it, theres something on the computer that it wasnt detecting and i wasnt allowing me to update so i just got mad and uninstalled and was just goign to re install it but i get an error every time
 An error 82 (00000052) has occured.  Last performed operating:  was extracting main exe

Any help would awsome

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error 82
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 12:59:25 AM »
What is your OS?
Which update were you trying to do (auto/manual, program or iAVS) ?
Are there Multiple user accounts on this system ? - if so do more than one have administrator privileges ?

Windows error 82 is 'The directory or file cannot be created. ' I'm not sure if this is a permissions problem for a user with limited user privileges, does your user account have admin privileges (assuming the answer to one of my questions above is XP) ?

I'm also not sure if the second error 0000052 is also a windows error, as it isn't in the list of avast! Error Codes http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=5719.0. So the windows one is 'You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. Go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again.' This probably makes as much seance to you as it does to me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jagdiver

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 01:12:23 AM »
Im running XP and there is only one user on it.   I tried to change the name of the computer and that made no difference .....any other suggestion?? thanks guys

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 01:58:46 AM »
Which firewall do you use?
Do you use any other security program?
Can you download the file again and test if the setup.exe file is ok?

Did you allow avast.setup to connect the internet and update?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 03:29:01 PM »
Changing the name of the computer won't have any effect, the users are still the same.

Firstly I was somewhat confused with your first post as my answers related to not being able to update, not really noticing that the error was only related to trying to reinstall.

How did you uninstall ? I'm assuming with add remove programs and that uninstall may have failed in some way, hence the problem in reinstalling.

Try running the avast Uninstall Utility, find it here, to ensure that all remnants of avast are gone then reboot and try to install avast again. If that is successful we can see if your update problem has either gone or help resolve it.

Follow Techs advice and answer his questions also, that helps us to help you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jagdiver

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 05:19:48 PM »
allrighty ill give that a try this afternoon ...thanks ...sorry for the confusion