Author Topic: Outlook Express Heuristic Scanning  (Read 5486 times)

firewalker

Outlook Express Heuristic Scanning
« on: December 16, 2003, 03:01:22 AM »
Hi  ;)
I'm new to Avast... but no matter what i do(apart from disabling Whitespace Sequence...+the 2 attachment's settings) it will stop mails with attachment's and say "possible virus detected"
When i scan the attachment's before sending there is no virus detected , this it pretty anoying! because it completly stops OE from sending the mail , even after i press "continue"
Is there a way to get around this ?
All the Best Firewalker

Culpeper

Re:Outlook Express Heuristic Scanning
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 04:37:58 AM »
Firewalker:

We need more information.  What type of warning are you receiving from Avast with regard to these attachments and so forth?  Need more detail on the Avast warning message.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 04:42:36 AM by Culpeper »

firewalker

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 06:07:04 PM »
the problem went away,when i changed the setting from high to normal...
All the best Firewalker  ;D

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 07:37:47 PM »
Okay, thanks for the update.

sedina

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 11:57:18 AM »
Hi,
heuristic analysis works in different way from classic scan, which compares important parts of scanned object with VPS (database of known viruses). Heuristic analysis tries to find unknown viruses (not known yet). So when classic scan doesn't catch anything and heuristic analysis warns you, it's OK. BUT! You should configure heuristic settings according your "style of work" to avoid false alarms. Problem you described is, I think, that you are sending attachment with extension which is on the blacklist (dangerous file extensions - e.g. EXE, COM, ...). It's true?

thanks,
pavels

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 09:40:30 PM »
Hi,
heuristic analysis works in different way from classic scan, which compares important parts of scanned object with VPS (database of known viruses). Heuristic analysis tries to find unknown viruses (not known yet). So when classic scan doesn't catch anything and heuristic analysis warns you, it's OK. BUT! You should configure heuristic settings according your "style of work" to avoid false alarms. Problem you described is, I think, that you are sending attachment with extension which is on the blacklist (dangerous file extensions - e.g. EXE, COM, ...). It's true?

thanks,
pavels

I fully agree with pavels... You will avoid this problem if you zip your files. They will be scanned but the Heuristic module won't warn you about a 'dangerous' extension.  ;D
The best things in life are free.