Author Topic: BBC and Amazon.co.uk now blocking me when I use SecureLine  (Read 13954 times)

Offline MrMaxaMan

Re: BBC and Amazon.co.uk now blocking me when I use SecureLine
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
I just tried iplayer and it's working today for me. Hopefully it will stay that way. :)
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 07:02:28 PM »
Me too! New IP and ISP  8) 8) 8)

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 08:39:47 PM »
Blocked again

:-\ :( >:( :'(

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 11:17:41 PM »
Blocked again

:-\ :( >:( :'(

Yes, irritating. I'm 'in' the UK and it's blocked when I use the London server.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 01:39:38 AM »
BBC iPlayer now blocking SecureLine access from Hungary. BBC access is my only use for SecureLine. Like other posters, I pay for SecureLine to avoid blocking. There are still 300 days to run on my licence. Will I get a refund? (Rhetorical question!) I believe Avast should do its utmost to fulfil its claims for SecureLine (in contrast to Eddy the Evangelist's unsubstantiated "Hard luck, mate" comments). If Avast can't fulfil its present claims then it should change its advertising or withdraw SecureLine.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »
@  jeremy50
You are going to have even greater problems in the future, the BBC isn't just tracking where you are by IP alone. But even if/when VPNs do work, access to BBC content is going to become more difficult, you will actually have to be a BBC license payer to access content. 

To view this BBC iPlayer content will probably require that you prove that you are a UK TV license payer and presumably create an account that you logon to when you want to connect to iPlayer.

I live in the UK and am a TV license payer and even if I wanted to use the iPlayer service, I too would have to provide proof.  I don't know if this has been fully implemented yet, but there has been much talk, reporting about it in the press.  I have just connected to the BBC iPlayer but when trying to view content I do get a warning about having to register/logon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
@DavidR Yes, I'm aware of this and see the same messages on screen as you do. At the moment, it is still saying you will need to register soon. In fact, I already have legacy registration with BBC services from when I lived in London, UK. I have tried using this registration, which is recognised, but doesn't help accessing programs from Hungary. Interestingly, when accessing program category recommendation pages, the page is clearly identified as Location: London, whether or not I sign in. It may be BBC's default regional network.
My evasive efforts so far include turning off all location services in Windows 10, but setting last resort default location as London. This doesn't help (and perhaps prompts blocking if location can't be confirmed?). It feels like BBC knows who/where I am in all circumstances and am blacklisted. Last resort is to consider this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20039/opt-out-of-location-services, but need to check out first what impact it may have. (In Hungary, all channels dub foreign programs into Hungarian - no exceptions and no subtitles.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
Obviously I didn't know your situation (BBC legacy registration) prior to my reply. 

I somehow think that it will require registration for iPlayer (and any other service) with proof of UK License payment. 

More and more sites now are able to determine that you are either using a VPN or other geo-location methods. As you say this is likely to become a war on OS tracking also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security