Author Topic: New user to Thunderbird Mail  (Read 7903 times)

lava1

New user to Thunderbird Mail
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:18:19 PM »
Hi I just started using Thunderbird for my mail client instead of outlook express and when I open my email today it found a torjon or something in my email from Soapcentral.com it is a newsletter I get once a week and never did it was iframe I did a search and I still don't what it is.  My search and destroy did not detact it or my
adware I have but avast did can someone tell me what is iframe and is bad or what any help or what is would be greatful Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: New user to Thunderbird Mail
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 08:18:37 PM »
iframe is a web redirector, i.e., you'll be pointed to an external source and there could be a virus.
If you believe Soapcentral.com does not spread viruses, go to Internet Mail provider Heuristic tab of settings and set this URL as allowed.
avast will scan the email but just the Heuristic module won't alert you 'before' the mail is downloaded that it has an iframe to an external site.
The best things in life are free.

lava1

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 08:28:41 PM »
Thanks Tech sorry to be so dumb to ask how do u do that if u can take me by step and how to do it Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:16:57 PM »
The iFrame Tag is normally used in web pages, where it is used to import data and can also import and execute code.

This is why there is great potential for harm when used in an email, code can be executed simply by opening or previewing an email. That is why I wouldn't recommend disabling this check in the Heuristics of the Internet Mail provider, rather when this gets flagged as suspicious, you have to decide if you feel the email is from a trusted source. A pain yes but that way it doesn't leave a hole in your defences.

Some emails use it to import Adverts into the email, but the potential for much more is there. So adding a URL to the permitted URLs will allow all email originating from that domain, not a specific email address.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 12:26:09 AM »
So adding a URL to the permitted URLs will allow all email originating from that domain, not a specific email address.
Instead of originated from, won't the permited URL allow ANY email that has an iframe redireted to that URL?
I'm not sure...

Lava, if you trust that emails, it won't hurt to add the URL.
Anyway, if the iframe starts any code it will be scanned by Standard Shield. It's just an extra protection that will stop the code even to run.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:57:16 AM »
Sorry, that's my not reading the info right, it is the destination where the content for the iFrame is coming from.

However, now that's cleared up there is every likely hood that the content might come from a third party ad server or site, so you may still get warnings from the Heuristics, so you will have to monitor where that content is coming from.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lava1

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 01:19:52 PM »
I just want to Thank David and Tech for your help what I wil do is wait and see if it happens again getting there Newsletter next Monday if so the only question I have it dose happen what should I do.  (should I delte or continue )  If you guys can just tell me what steps to do that I can understand how to do it I would apprecate it.  When come things I need easy steps to know what to do.  I would apprecate that so much.   Because I don't know what the url is or what I put in.  I know I describe to the newsletter from www.soapcentral.com  when I had outlook express 6 this never happen and I just started using Thunderbird now for 2 days.   Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 01:30:56 PM »
Should I delte or continue
Continue.

Because I don't know what the url is or what I put in.
The next time, you can set the url to be allowed and avoid further questions about this iframe.
Click on the Permited URL of the link and add on the second screen.

lava1

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 01:53:03 PM »
Thanks Tech for your help the only question left after I do that can I put it back to high after it is on custom sorry to be a bother Than So after that I should get my Newsletter every Monday with no problems I quess.   I will do this next Monday if it dose it again.  If by chance I want to delete it after a month I quess I undo what I did I quess too.  Again I Thank you for your help.  This Old man is learning new things everyday.  LOL 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:10:10 PM by lava1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 03:07:44 PM »
Thanks Tech for your help the only question left after I do that can I put it back to high after it is on custom
Custom level takes 'all' previous settings (Normal is it was Normal, High is it was High) and just change what you've customized.
Don't worry, you're not losing or lowering protection. Let the level on Custom  8)

sorry to be a bother
You're not bothering anyone... just asking for help. This is the forum purpose  8)

lava1

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks again Tech for your help, But the last thing is if I want to remove it I just undo what you said to do. Down the the road. I that  I had to put the sensitivity back to high after I did that.  Thanks again for all the help u guys have given!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 06:18:35 PM by lava1 »

lava1

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 06:22:37 PM »
Thank you guys for answering my questions for a old fart and I wait for the last reply before I wrote this one.  And I won't bother you guys anymore till I need more advise.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 06:32:05 PM »
I wait for the last reply before I wrote this one. 
Well, in fact, I did not see the need of another post...
Do you have any other doubts?

But the last thing is if I want to remove it I just undo what you said to do. I that I had to put the sensitivity back to high after I did that.
Yes, to go back, just remove the url and set the sensitivity to high level again...

lava1

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 06:42:39 PM »
Thanks Tech But my question was too after you showed me how to do it do I put my sensitivity do I put it back to high or just leave it at customize it or put back to high after I do what you showed me. That is where I am confused.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 07:27:48 PM »
Thanks Tech But my question was too after you showed me how to do it do I put my sensitivity do I put it back to high or just leave it at customize it or put back to high after I do what you showed me. That is where I am confused.
You make difficult for me, non native-English, if you remove commas and final dots...

Do I put my sensitivity, I mean,
a) do I put it back to high or
b) just leave it at customize it or
c) put back to high after I do what you showed me.

1. Remove the URL from the allowed ones.
2. Close the customize dialog.
3. Put the sensitivity back to high.

I think it's closer of the c) option above.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 07:30:40 PM by Tech »