Author Topic: Avast Internet Security installation on new PC  (Read 3612 times)

REDACTED

Avast Internet Security installation on new PC
« on: April 06, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »
I have Internet security on my laptop and want to share it with a new PC.  Should be easy.  No.  I have emailed the license file to the PC and tried to open it.   I have copied it to a flash drive and tried to open it on the PC.  There must be a simple way to do this.

Can you help?

Many thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Internet Security installation on new PC
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:06 PM »
I have Internet security on my laptop and want to share it with a new PC.  Should be easy.  No.  I have emailed the license file to the PC and tried to open it.   I have copied it to a flash drive and tried to open it on the PC.  There must be a simple way to do this.
<snip>

One, I'm not sure what you mean by "I have Internet security on my laptop and want to share it with a new PC" ?

1.  If you mean switch it from an old system to a new system that shouldn't be a problem.
2.  If you mean actually share one license on two systems that can't be done unless you have purchased a multi PC license.

I will work on item 1. uninstall avast on the old system, install avast on the new system.
Connect your new installation to your my.avast.com account, open the devices, if the old installation is still there delete it. This will allow you to assign the license to the new system.

If it is a multi PC license, then you should be able to assign the license from your my.avast.com account.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »
Hi - I have an Avast Internet Security license and it is running on my laptop. It was on my old PC, too so I should be able to install it on the new PC.  I have tried everything I can think of but it will not work.

my.avast.account states that I do not have any licenses.  Obviously, this is not true as Avast Internet Security is running on this laptop and I have a copy of the email with the license file attached.

I am so confused so would appreciate more help if possible.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:52:43 PM »
For how many systems did you bought took the subscription ?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 12:07:24 AM »
Your my.avast.com portal says you don't have any licenses, because it thinks your 'old PC' is still running (not your laptop) so you'll need to delete that system from your my.avast.com portal to get use of the license 'old PC' is using and now assigned to it.

Once you delete the 'old PC' license you will have a spare license for use.  This should work unless I've grossly got it all wrong.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:09:12 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 12:46:42 AM »
Hi - I have an Avast Internet Security license and it is running on my laptop. It was on my old PC, too so I should be able to install it on the new PC.  I have tried everything I can think of but it will not work.

my.avast.account states that I do not have any licenses.  Obviously, this is not true as Avast Internet Security is running on this laptop and I have a copy of the email with the license file attached.

I am so confused so would appreciate more help if possible.

As I said if you have the old system (device) listed in the my.avast.com account, then you need to delete that device before you can allocate the license (which was assigned to it) to the new system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 12:25:07 PM »
Thanks to all of you: I will address those issues.  However, I discovered last night an email from 02/16 with the activation code for Internet Security.  It was sent to my old email account and seems to have a one time password. 

I can't use it for the PC because I can't log the old my.avast account.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »
Contact avast through the ticket system.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
Thanks to all of you: I will address those issues.  However, I discovered last night an email from 02/16 with the activation code for Internet Security.  It was sent to my old email account and seems to have a one time password. 

I can't use it for the PC because I can't log the old my.avast account.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

You're welcome.

Presumably your logon to my.avast.com is using your previous email and password ?
If so you should still be able to logon using your old email address, it doesn't actually have to be active to logon. If you can logon, great, then create/add a new email address and authorise it. Now you should be able set that email as the default email and eventually delete the old one.

How did you logon to the forums ?
Presumably not using your old email address as logging on to the forums should use those my.avast.com credentials.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Yes, how DID I log onto the forum?  I have no idea!  I simply opened up the forum and I was logged in.

Anyway, thanks everyone - I have solved the issue.  I downloaded Internet Security, again, typed in the activation code for 2016 and it worked!  Tried this yesterday and it wanted my old email address and old/forgotten password.

So eveyrthing is sorted.

Many thanks to all of you for the advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 07:28:58 PM »
You're welcome.

If you were automatically logged in to the forums, then in effect you should be able to get into your my.avast.com account also if it remembered your credentials.

Try opening your avastUI and click on the image pic / User Name (image1 attached), this will be trying to connect to your account but it keeps spinning its wheels. Just click on the View Account button (image2 attached), that should open your my.avast.com account in your browser, it did for me. Here you should be able to add the new email address as I mentioned earlier.

I hate this massive bloody UI these images are resized to 60% and I hate it going centre screen every bloody time.