Author Topic: Avast causing older versions of AutoCAD to crash when opening file.  (Read 6512 times)

REDACTED

Hello I am having an issue on workstations where the AVAST program has automatically updated the program.  It would appear that once AVAST is updated to the latest version older AutoCAD installations crash when trying to open any file.  The AutoCAD program loads without issue but as soon as you try an open any file the program stops responding before the windows explorer interface opens to select a file.

Currently have issues with AutoCAD 2010LT, AutoCAD 2011LT, AutoCAD 2011 on various workstations.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Are there any exclusions that I can add or possibly remove the Avast plugin from the windows explorer context menu?

Offline SMPlante

• Avast! newbie
    • Les Services Michel Plante
Re: Avast causing older versions of AutoCAD to crash when opening file.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:47:54 AM »
Have you tryied to apply an Exclusion on the Autocad Folder ?

Settings; Global Exclusion; Browse
Then select the Autocad Folder
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:50:36 AM by SMPlante »

Offline avjevtic

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
I had lost few days in panic before I've realized that Avast caused the problem. In the meantime damage was made upgrading AutoCAD to newer working version. Angry, I simply removed Avast from all comps.  >:(   

Offline SMPlante

• Avast! newbie
    • Les Services Michel Plante
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
Sorry to hear that :-[

Today's software market is changing so fast that it's hard to keep a 100% compatible product for a long time.

Moreover, most software manufacturers now have not only a tendency to issue a new version of their product annually, but it is also the consumers who carry out the quality control for them by transmitting to them the BUGs that are discovered With its use.

But for more than 10 years I have been using Avast products, I have always had a very good service from them (as long as we use their ticket system to ask for help when the request is urgent).

Although this forum is a very good information and training resource for their products, it remains only a means of communication between users of Avast products (It's a FORUM).

If you have other urgent problems with one of the Avast products, I suggest that you use the ticket system you will find on the following URL:
https://www.avast.com/fr-ca/support <= Sorry French-Canadian URL  ;)

But that does not prevent you, either, from using the forum.

We also like to take advantage of the experience of other Avast users to share the kind of problem you are experiencing and try to find a solution.

I hope this post will reconcile you with Avast?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:49:54 PM by SMPlante »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:54 AM »
Hello,
it looks this is caused by ashShell.dll. It will be fixed soon. Meanwhile you can rename the "C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\ashShell.dll" (this needs disabled self defense)

Milos

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
Currently I have uninstalled AVAST on the workstations that are impacted but after contacting support I was informed that it's a known issue and a fix was to be released within a week or so.  Lets hope that it gets fixed soon and something else doesn't get broken with the next update.

REDACTED

Unfortunately I am still having issues with Avast on the computers.  As Milos posted a temporary work around is to rename "C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\ashShell.dll" (this needs disabled self defense).

It's surprising that while Avast apparently knew about the issue for a while with the self defense module that there hasn't been a fix or roll back to a working version while all of the users are simply stuck waiting or manually implementing a temporary fix. Not sure it I will end of staying with Avast in the long run if they take so long to fix issues which should be quite high in priority.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Hello,
this should be fixed with the latest update: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201729.0

Milos

REDACTED

Hello,
this should be fixed with the latest update: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=201729.0

Milos
Uhm, you linked the non business forum and as we still have 17.2.2517 business telling us it's uptodate (and there this bug still occurs).