Author Topic: Deleted file  (Read 3085 times)

kewl_blades

Deleted file
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:43:51 PM »
While installing the latest edition of Avast and doing a complete harddrive scan, Avast found a file that contained a virus but the file is needed and cannot be replaced.  It is a MDB file that Avast deleted.  How can I recover it and repair it?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Deleted file
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:53:02 PM »
If you instructed avast! to Delete it, then it's gone. You may try some special recovery (undelete) software (with uncertain results, depending on the subsequent disk writes), but it's simple deleted.
If you told avast! to Move the file (or Move to Chest), then you should be able to get it back.

kewl_blades

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 04:10:18 PM »
It actually deleted it on it's own.  No pop-up giving me an option.  I found out by searching the log file AFTER it was gone.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 04:16:35 PM »
avast! doesn't delete anything on its own - it will show you a warning (unless you specifically configure it otherwise).
How exactly did you run the scan?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 04:16:56 PM »
avast doesn't do auto deletions it requires user input, manual input or to have been set-up to take certain actions on detection of a virus.

Have you checked in the avast! Log Viewer any avast detections should be listed in the Warning section ?

If you have windows XP you could check the Event Viewer, Antivirus section and see if there is anything listed there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kewl_blades

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »
From Avast log file:  "3/23/2006 5:26:06 AM   Vickmay   392   Sign of "Win32:Netsky-P [Wrm]" has been found in "E:\Electra3\Electra3latest.mdb" file."

I was not at my computer at 5:26 AM this morning (today).  Avast was scanning E drive by me right clicking on the drive in Explorer and selecting "Scan E:\".  I did that action at 5:08 AM today.  What setting would I have changed that told Avast to auto delete files with virus/worm/trojan infections?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 04:53:17 PM »
If we are talking about the Explorer Extension (i.e. the "Right click on drive icon"), you would have to edit the "Explorer Extension" task from the Enhanced User Interface (avast! Professional only) and change the settings on the "Virus" page - i.e. something you can hardly do by conincidence.
Or, if there was any virus detected previously, you could press "Delete..." and choose "Delete all" from the subsequent dialog. In that case, the next detected files would get detected automatically.

Otherwise, avast! shows the "Virus found!" dialog, asking for the action to take - no automated actions are set.