Author Topic: Avast prevents games launching  (Read 10373 times)

REDACTED

Avast prevents games launching
« on: April 09, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
Hi all.
I've used avast for a few years, never had any problems. Installed it on this newish gaming rig of mine back in September last year.
No issues. Played everything just fine. Easy to use, no complaints.

But as of a few weeks ago one game wasn't launching - Dragon Age Inquisition.
Other origin games launched fine. So I thought it was the game. Went through the whole business of repairing game files, reinstalling in a new location ect. Nothing.

Someone on tumblr told me to try disabling my antivirus and yup - that was the issue. DAI launches just fine when I've got Avast switched off.

DAI is under exceptions. I've tried booting in 'game mode' and it says DAI is under the list of games it should allow.
Doesn't work. Only disabling Avast allows it to launch.

When I try and launch the game with avast the window pops up, goes fullscreen, and promptly crashes. No error messages at all.

I don't really want to run my PC without virus protection. I don't really want to switch products unless I have to.

Ideas?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast prevents games launching
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 05:03:31 AM »
Set a exclusion for it.
If that doesn't solve things, disable the behavior shield and see if it makes a difference.

Offline Cast

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:43:06 AM »
I would try adding an exception to the behavioral shield before disabling it completely or even changing the default settings to ask instead of taking action.

Settings>Components>>Behavioral Shield>Customize>Exclusions in case you need to directions in how to get there.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 04:55:02 AM »
THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH!!! I have been trying for several months now to figure out how to play this dang game without having to disable ALL of my shields, and you are a complete lifesaver!!! This definitely works, as I'm playing right this very moment!!!! XD

Offline kwiq

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »
Hi kaisea.wings,
can you please capture procmon log so we can try to analyze and fix this issue ?

1) download procmon from (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon)
2) Start procmon
3) Start Dragon Age Inquisition and wait for crash
4) Save procmon log  ( Menu->File->Save...-> Events to save : All event , Format: Native Process Monitor Format, Path : select path where you want to save the log )
5) Zip the log file and upload it to avast ftp.

I would also try  to disable few shields one by one to see which part of Av causes it.
1) Disable rootkit -> Start Dragon Age Inquisition and wait for crash
1) Disable behaviour shield -> Start Dragon Age Inquisition and wait for crash

Let us know if you are able to run Dragon Age with disable shield.
Thank you