Author Topic: 17.3.2291 Problem with XP SP3  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Tobur

17.3.2291 Problem with XP SP3
« on: April 09, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »
Yesterday I updated Avast Free to 17.3.2291 on Windows XP SP3. Now I cannot access the User Interface - message says "UI Failed to load- This is really embarrassing - AV Service is not responding". I have tried the suggested remedies - Repeated Reboot/Repair/ Uninstalled with avastclear / Reinstalled etc. The problem persists. Perhaps it's a naive question ( I am 80 and not very PC friendly) - but apart from the obvious disadvantages of no UI is my PC protected?
The 'good news' posted about this new version tells us that it " fixes some of the most critical issues that appeared on the previous version". It seems to have created a new 'critical issue'. Any chance of a real fix??

REDACTED

Re: 17.3.2291 Problem with XP SP3
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
Had also found the same problem, as well as others.

Currently I have installed Avast Free Antivirus with the version 17.3.2291 (Build 17.3.3443.0) under Windows XP Prof sp3 x86 with the modules file system protection, mail protection, web protection and software updater.

1. WinRAR 4.20

With existing WinRAR archives, when adding files, the packer flies out of the archive after the update process has finished.
This problem does not occur after disable the File System Protection module.

Furthermore, if an archive is to be opened within an archive, the error message "The process can not access the file because it is used by another process."

2. Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9

Program can not be started. (Listed in the Task Manager under Processes)
This problem does not occur after deactivation of the Avast self-protection function.
Note: In a test running under Windows 7, Jasc PaintShop Pro 9 was started without problems.
Should be fixed in the next version of Avast!

3. Google Chrome v49.0.2623.112

Downloads are partially canceled as errors.

4. Avast

Avast GUI can no longer be started with the desktop link since version 17.3.2291.
Sounds and speech output do not work.
Updated the program version, although was set to manual updates.

Because of the file access problem I have, since my PC system with a RAID 0 composite with two hard disks works, synonymous already various Intel RAID drivers tried, unfortunately with negative result. At this point I hope that these serious errors of Avast under Windows XP be eliminated, so that a reasonable working again becomes possible!

Remark:
For various tests under VM with installed Windows XP as of April 2014, as well as as of March 2017, I have the above listed errors as well.

A ticket I have already sent to the customer service.

:)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:12:58 PM by Cosmics »

Offline Tobur

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
Since I asked in my post above if there was any chance of a real fix I have seen an Avast FAQ page on which "What can I do if the Avast user interface fails to load?"  - is shown as a 'Resolved issue'. It is certainly NOT resolved and all the recommended steps have failed to resolve it.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »
The icon in the taskbar should work to start the Avast GUI until the problem is solved.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:10:26 PM by Cosmics »

Offline Tobur

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:29:49 PM »
The icon in the taskbar should work to start the Avast GUI until the problem is solved.

The Taskbar icon produces the same result  - UI failed to load etc..
Is someone working on a solution??

Offline Tobur

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:59:12 PM »
Observation before retiring for the night - this post - 108 views - no solution!! Perhaps it's time to ditch Avast.