Author Topic: Browser Cleanup: This is not okay, Avast!!!  (Read 3694 times)

REDACTED

Browser Cleanup: This is not okay, Avast!!!
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »

Don't offer to clean up unsafe plugins (that I can't even see in the Firefox plugin menu) only in exchange for forcing me to use Yahoo.

Nobody wants to use Yahoo. Don't hold my browser ransom until I do.

REDACTED

Re: Browser Cleanup: This is not okay, Avast!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »
All it does is "resets" your browser to yahoo as a search engine.  I never use yahoo as my default search engine. I do NOT have any unsafe browser addons in Firefox, so Avast please explain this annoying popup, which only screw things up !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 08:18:56 PM »
There is nothing to stop either of you from uninstalling the Browser Cleanup if it isn't what you want or to your liking.

AvastUI > Settings > Components > Browser Cleanup - expand that and select uninstall. See attached image example, click to expand.

I don't have it installed so I have expanded another component to show how to uninstall it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 08:28:57 PM »
The BCU first shows a list of what it has detected and the user has the choice to have it cleanup things or not.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »
Thank you for your response.  I would suggest that this browser cleanup program be dealt with accordingly then instead of getting a popup balloon there are unsafe addons.  This is yet another program with Avast slams users with and its no welcomed, regardless if they uninstall it or not, user beware.  I will uninstall it, but I suggest to the developers, that this antivirus is not a fix it all program and stop trying to do everything that users do not want.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 08:57:18 PM »
You don't get a pop-up.
As I said, it shows a list and the user can choose what to remove and what to keep.

Offline Hopper15

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »
You don't get a pop-up.
As I said, it shows a list and the user can choose what to remove and what to keep.

I got a warning pop-up.  Other wise I never would have seen this as I hardly ever check the browser cleanup
Win 8.1 64 bit 16GB Avast Free/Malwarebytes Pro/CCleaner

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
I just checked the build-in as well as the standalone BCU and didn't get a pop-up.
Perhaps you only get it if you have set it to check on a periodic base.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »
I do not have the BC module installed however on a daily basis the Avast application attempts to run the module producing the following error (according to EventLog.log):               "StartBrowserCleanup: BCU Component is not installed"

Please advise how to resolve this issue.

Kr,

Dan

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »
It would appear the uninstall of the component didn't complete successfully - if you haven't tried it already - try the Avast Repair, Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program > Avast antivirus > Change > from the next screen, select Repair. Once complete, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security