Author Topic: Sensitivity & folders: better boot time experience...  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Sensitivity & folders: better boot time experience...
« on: March 21, 2006, 04:10:41 AM »
1. Is there any way to configure avast to use different sentivity to different folders?
    I mean, can we set (maybe through avast4.ini file) special folders to be protected by HIGH sensitivity and others,
    common ones, with a lower protection state like NORMAL?

2. Is there any way to generate a list of startup programs (file name and path) to be excluded from scanning?
    What more does avast search at logon time to scan (icons, other files, etc.)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Sensitivity & folders: better boot time experience...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:06:39 AM »
1. Is there any way to configure avast to use different sentivity to different folders?
    I mean, can we set (maybe through avast4.ini file) special folders to be protected by HIGH sensitivity and others, common ones, with a lower protection state like NORMAL?

No, as far as I know.

2. Is there any way to generate a list of startup programs (file name and path) to be excluded from scanning? What more does avast search at logon time to scan (icons, other files, etc.)?

Well, as said multiple times, avast! doesn't scan anything itself - it scans files that are accessed (by other applications, be they part of Windows or external), according to current settings.
Regarding the list of startup programs - well, you may edit the "Resident protection" task in Enhanced User Interface to write everything it scans (i.e. even "OK files") into the report. Then, you'll see what is being scanned during the startup (you'll probably want to turn the reporting off soon afterwards, as it will be generating a lot of additional disk activity, obviously).

However, I strongly discourage you from excluding the files - the list will be huge and the list of avast! exclusions is not meant for such things (meaning that there is probably some size limit for the list, and more important, the exclusion mechanism itself isn't optimized for big lists, so it may actually slow down the computer noticeably, instead of speeding up the boot).

I hope I can reveal a "secret" and say that the behavior of avast! Standard Shield in Windows XP, and especially during the boot/logon, will be significantly changed in the next avast! release (to be out in a few weeks, probably). Let's hope it will be for better...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 01:04:20 PM »
    I mean, can we set (maybe through avast4.ini file) special folders to be protected by HIGH sensitivity and others, common ones, with a lower protection state like NORMAL?

No, as far as I know.
So, how do the IM and P2P provider monitor the downloads and read/write files of these applications?
Can't a similar mechanism be implemented?

However, I strongly discourage you from excluding the files - the list will be huge and the list of avast! exclusions is not meant for such things (meaning that there is probably some size limit for the list, and more important, the exclusion mechanism itself isn't optimized for big lists, so it may actually slow down the computer noticeably, instead of speeding up the boot).
Thanks for the info: limited exclusion list and the non-optimized procedure.

I hope I can reveal a "secret" and say that the behavior of avast! Standard Shield in Windows XP, and especially during the boot/logon, will be significantly changed in the next avast! release (to be out in a few weeks, probably). Let's hope it will be for better...
Best news!  8)
When the beta phase will start?  ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:33:02 PM »
<Snip>
2. Is there any way to generate a list of startup programs (file name and path) to be excluded from scanning? What more does avast search at logon time to scan (icons, other files, etc.)?
<Snip>
Well, as said multiple times, avast! doesn't scan anything itself - it scans files that are accessed (by other applications, be they part of Windows or external), according to current settings.
<Snip>
Great news, for a long time this has been a bone of contention for me too, I can't wait for the next release and look forward to the beta (please) ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 04:03:17 PM »
Maybe I should add - I'm talking about internal changes, i.e. don't expect things like brand new user interface, or something like that.

Regarding the IM and P2P providers - I'm not sure how they work. I believe they monitor thoroughly specific processes, not folders or files.

DaveD

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 04:37:05 PM »

What about Windows 2000 SP4?

Seeing how XP and 2000 and both NT-based and all. All drivers and such are usually the same for both XP and 2000. I certainly hope this upcoming "secret" will also benefit Windows 2000.

Cheers!

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:44:26 PM »

Maybe I should add - I'm talking about internal changes, i.e. don't expect things like brand new user interface, or something like that.

Along with me, I think Tech and David are more interested in the "internal changes" than we are in the interface.    ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 08:11:46 PM »
Your getting better at reading my thoughts Charley ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »
Along with me, I think Tech and David are more interested in the "internal changes" than we are in the interface.    ;)
Right now?, yeah...

But not for the all future... Interface improvements are always a good thing.
In fact, I'll be plesed if I can see other Alwil products...  ;D