Author Topic: Game Mode causing Major problems  (Read 3837 times)

REDACTED

Game Mode causing Major problems
« on: April 15, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »
I've been using Avast for a couple of years now for clients computers as well as my own, Avast has done what I needed to with some tweaking for the most part.

Recently Avast put out a program update that adds games to their "Game Mode" function automatically. This drastically changes the performance of the game being played, and in some cases even reduced performance by a large margin, even causing games to crash when abundant amounts of action is happening on screen. (and sometimes just alt+tabbing) The problem persist even upon attempting closing the program normally, to the point where i have to end the game process in task manager because the game stays frozen on screen for extended amounts of time until I do so.

Why does Avast search for games to run under its game mode without notifying it's users? Then dumping performance out the window because it's trying to manage the wrong resources for the wrong processes.

To the point where Avast is adding NON GAME PROGRAMS TO THE "GAME MODE". Unless Avast has no understanding of what a game is what so ever then this should be fixed ASAP. Adding programs like "InstallShield Wizard", "EZ Update" and more but I'll leave it at that is just incompetent and make me lose trust in who I'm using as an Antivirus.

To any Avast member who cares. Please disable game mode as a default setting. If you do keep this in your program, please update the library on what Avast considers a "Game" because at the moment it's probably screwing more people over than you could guess.

I would like to keep using your program.
Sincerely,
An Unsatisfied User.

REDACTED

Re: Game Mode causing Major problems
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
On one hand i am glad i am not the only one.
On the other hand i'm saddened that the anti virus i recommended to people has released such a broken update. Its making some games not launch for me AT ALL (even AFTER i turned this garbage game mode to disabled) the only way to get some games to launch is to turn off avast shields completely. This is unacceptable.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »
Game Mode is using cloud capability to recognize and categorize game apps. Clearly, it doesn't know all of them for now. But as you ignore or remove non-game apps from the list, cloud takes note of that.

I'm just not sure what's the purpose of it now that Game Mode is included in Creators Update for Win10...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:50:46 PM »
But as you ignore or remove non-game apps from the list, cloud takes note of that.

I'm just not sure what's the purpose of it now that Game Mode is included in Creators Update for Win10...

Totally understandable if they had a couple things that happened, but to recognize the non game programs, then running them with the process priority of a game while other games are running seems a little too overlooked from my view on this.

And overall I don't know why I should let my antivirus set my process affinity for my games when they ran just fine in the first place.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:15:53 AM »
The idea was original, but it can't detect properly what is a game or not, like my video player is considered like a game and now even if you fix it, we will be suspicious.

I come from World of warcraft where a wide number of players experience a very anoying bug; just trying deconect your character to change or leave the game result in a complete crash (not even recieving windows crash warning, just plain freeze).