Author Topic: UI will not load.  (Read 9164 times)

Offline Dr. Kosher

Re: UI will not load.
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 09:06:01 PM »
Interesting that it'd work in a virtual machine, but not in a physical machine.  Perhaps there's a conflicting update/application that's running in the background of Windows to cause Avast's UI to not load properly in old(er) machines.

One could easily guess at this point.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »
Could you start or re-start windows services : "Services Terminal Server" and/or "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
The screen I have if the service is down (or in late start) on my winxpSP3 :
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:22:23 PM by chris05 »

Offline Tobur

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
I check the Forums and the Internet every day in the increasingly forlorn hope that a solution will be found to the 'UI failed to load' problem on XP SP3. I recently saw an Avast website that amazingly described this as a 'Resolved problem'!! Today I saw an Avast site that stated in bold type :"Runs smoothly even on Windows XP" Would that these claims  were true (note the 'EVEN' on XP).

Offline Kettenhund

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 09:25:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies to my initial question.  I now have managed to get the UI to load and run...  I followed Eddy's advice!  All I did was to reinstall the operating system (XP sp3) but this time I used an XP Professional license and not the XP Home Media one that I used before.  Then after re-installing Avast, I found that it now works perfectly.

Weird, or not, it worked for me.

All the best, and once more, thanks.
Ken

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 12:15:33 PM »
I'm fully aware that program developers that continue to support Windows XP are aiming towards SSE2 compliant processors, but most machines, running Windows XP don't, at least to my knowledge HAVE an SSE2 compliant processor chip in them.

Maybe the agent sometimes tries to open before a windows service?
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
Did you tried "to load avast services only after windows services"

However , behavior shield is supported on my 2 winXP too.

I checked 'Load Avast services only after loading other system services'

Behaviour Shield started normally for 2 boot ups, but failed to start with last boot up this morning.

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 (2001), which came with Windows ME! I gave specs and was told that this has a SSE2 compliant processor.

Quote: "SSE2 was introduced into Intel chips with the Pentium 4 in 2001 and AMD processors in 2003."

Here is the link I got that information from:

https://uk.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/93455-what-is-the-sse2-instruction-set-how-can-i-check-to-see-if-my-processor-supports-it?requestedDomain=www.mathworks.com

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
A free, small tool that can be used to check > http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Online DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »
A free, small tool that can be used to check > http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

A neat little tool that I have been using for years. Its stablemate is good also GPU-Z for graphics chip information.
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ avast! free 18.5.2342/ Firefox ESR, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro7.11.0/ DropMyRights/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security
Windows 10 Home 1909 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 20.1.2397 (build 20.1.5069.558) UI-1.0.460/ WinPatrol+/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro

Offline Tobur

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
Is it possible to go back to a previous version of Avast Free which worked on XP SP3 - and if so how can this be done?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 10:28:10 PM »
Real easy.

- Find a copy of a previous off-line installer and download it.
- Remove the current installed avast version completely
- Disconnect from the net
- Install the older version
- Set it to not automatically update
- Connect the net again

Offline Tobur

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2017, 01:19:21 AM »
Real easy.
- Find a copy of a previous off-line installer and download it.
- Remove the current installed avast version completely
- Disconnect from the net
- Install the older version
- Set it to not automatically update
- Connect the net again

Thanks for that Eddy.
I presume that I can scan individual files and folders from the right click menu- which is useful even if it is no replacement for the full UI.  I will hold off for a while  in the hope of a fix fot the UI problem at some stage.