Author Topic: UI will not load.  (Read 9328 times)

Offline Kettenhund

UI will not load.
« on: April 11, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
I've been using Avast for ten years and have never had this problem before.  I have just installed windows XP (sp3) on a lap top - and downloaded the free edition of Avast.  However when I click on the icon to run a scan I get the message that the UI will not load and that I should try again, which does not work.  I've tried re-installing Avast but the result is the same.

Can anyone suggest what I should try next, please?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: UI will not load.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
- remove avast through control panel
- run avastclear > https://www.avast.com/nl-nl/uninstall-utility
- reboot
- remove any leftovers manually
- install the latest avast version using the offline installer > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=199715.0

Let us know if that solved the problem.

Offline Kettenhund

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:08:22 PM »
Hi Eddy,
Thanks for trying but the UI still will not run.  I followed you instructions , I even  re-installed twice but the problem persists.

A thought has occured to me...  Is the new version of Avast still compatable with XP?

All the best,
Ken

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »
<snip>
A thought has occured to me...  Is the new version of Avast still compatable with XP?

All the best,
Ken

It is meant to be and I have no issue with the current and beta version on this XP system.

But there are several topics relating to issues starting the UI with XP SP3 and avast 17.3.2291 systems.
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ avast! free 18.5.2342/ Firefox ESR, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro7.11.0/ DropMyRights/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security
Windows 10 Home 1909 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 20.2.2401 (build 20.2.5130.570) UI-1.0.505/ WinPatrol+/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:25:41 PM »
Hi Eddy,
Thanks for trying but the UI still will not run.  I followed you instructions , I even  re-installed twice but the problem persists.

All the best,
Ken
Yes, it's compatible. Some users are experiencing issues in the latest beta while loading the UI. Clean installation could help. Developers acknowledged the issue. We need patience...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
Yes as long as the hardware (CPU) is supporting the SSE2 instruction set, the latest avast version (should) work on XP SP3.
Saying that, some of the newest components will not work due to the limitations of XP (SP3).
One of them is SSL/TLS scanning as XP (as well as Vista) don't support anything newer than SSL 3.0\TLS 1.0.
This is a limitation of the OS's and there is nothing avast can do about it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 07:35:05 PM »
Hi Eddy,

All the best,
Ken
Yes, it's compatible. Some users are experiencing issues in the latest beta while loading the UI. Clean installation could help. Developers acknowledged the issue. We need patience...

It isn't just in the latest beta, more are reporting this with the latest regular release version and it has simply not been resolved so it is also in the beta release. The avast Repair and clean reinstall for many simply isn't working.

Patience if fine when the cr4p isn't hitting the fan, fortunately for me, I haven't experienced.
WinXP ProSP3/ Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ avast! free 18.5.2342/ Firefox ESR, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro7.11.0/ DropMyRights/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security
Windows 10 Home 1909 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 20.2.2401 (build 20.2.5130.570) UI-1.0.505/ WinPatrol+/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »
Yes as long as the hardware (CPU) is supporting the SSE2 instruction set, the latest avast version (should) work on XP SP3.
Saying that, some of the newest components will not work due to the limitations of XP (SP3).
One of them is SSL/TLS scanning as XP (as well as Vista) don't support anything newer than SSL 3.0\TLS 1.0.
This is a limitation of the OS's and there is nothing avast can do about it.

Considering we are talking about the UI not loading, nothing to do with SSL/TLS scanning, which would be independent of the UI (avastSvc.exe not avastUI.exe).

Offline Tobur

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 07:43:02 PM »
I have tried all the suggested remedies - including the steps suggested by Eddy - but the UI of version 17.3.2291 still fails to load on Windows XP SP3. There are many, many others with this same problem. I have repeatedly asked if there will be a fix for this at some stage - or is there some way of going  back to earlier version of Avast which was trouble free on XP?
Lisandro says the new Avast is compatible with XP – and that developers acknowledged the issue – so we must have patience. This seems to say there will be a fix. However Eddy says because of the limitations of the XP OS there is nothing Avast can do about it. DavidR contradicts Eddy .... and so on.
No wonder I am so confused!!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:00:25 PM by Tobur »

Offline Kettenhund

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »
So do I stick with Avast in the hope that there will be a fix or do I switch to another program, one that I will be able to keep up to date?

I'm also confused.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
No what DavidR and I said is not contradicting.

we both say that the latest avast version can be installed on Windows XP with SP3 as long as the hardware is supporting it (SSE2 instruction set).
I only added that some things will not work because of the limitations of the used OS/SP.
The GUI is not one of them.

Offline Tobur

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »
It's all as clear as mud at present. My basic question remains -
can we expect a fix at some stage? At present Avast taskbar icon tells me my system is secured - but without access to the the UI I cannot use important scans/functions.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
Separate to the slow startup issue that I've also had with previous versions....

XP SP3 - I'm intermittently seeing the attached Behaviour Shield error in Event Viewer (just happened again).

UI loads on my computer through Avast Desktop Icon, but is abnormally slow to do so......ok when I right click on Avast Tray Icon 'About Avast' to access 'Components' and 'Update'.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 10:48:45 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »
@  alicia.rose
Personally I wouldn't bother with the event logs, I would only be concerned if it didn't start at all resulting in a warning by avast (tray icon with a yellow triangle and asterisk over it !). Not opening in a timely fashion could mean fractions of a second to a few seconds, but it doesn't say.

You just need to ensure that the Behaviour Shield is monitored in the Status Monitoring section of the UI

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 11:36:05 PM »
Thanks for your response DavidR....

It doesn't start at all unfortunately with that event log......I have the warning by avast (tray icon with a yellow triangle and asterisk over it !) right now. Haven't manually turned it on.

It's an intermittent problem though......next boot up it will probably start fine?