Author Topic: UI will not load.  (Read 10452 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: UI will not load.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 12:00:35 AM »
Thanks for your response DavidR....

It doesn't start at all unfortunately with that event log......I have the warning by avast (tray icon with a yellow triangle and asterisk over it !) right now. Haven't manually turned it on.

It's an intermittent problem though......next boot up it will probably start fine?

OK that is more serious than the event viewer, which I generally associate with a soft error (not displayed to the screen) or other interface like the avast status monitoring, more of a hard error.
Windows 10 Home 2004 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 20.9.2437 (build 20.9.5758.0) UI-1.0.579/ WinPatrol+/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dr. Kosher

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 07:28:43 AM »
I have experienced this problem as well, and I, too am running Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a Dell Precision M6400 with an Intel Dual-Core processor.

Current specs:

Dell Precision M6400 Mobile Workstation

OS:  Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3 (version 2002)
RAM:  2 GB
Processor:  Intel Pro-Duo Core P8600 @ 2.40 GHz, 1.50 GHz
Video/Graphics Card:  NVIDIA Quadro

My laptop also has TWO internal hard drives, 500 GB for the OS and programs, and a 2 TB for storage.

When I received the update, I, TOO experienced this issue.  -I thinking it was my resolution settings, (as I am comfortable with 800x600 as I am legally blind) I changed it to 1280x720 to no avail.

I've tried the repair function, AND ran AvastClear in SAFE MODE (as that is the recommendation, according to Avast Software's site) and I STILL experienced the error in question.

The PROBLEM isn't, or at least SHOULDN'T have anything to do with limitations, put by an operating system, but the program's SERVICES RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.

NORMALLY, this would call for a ROLLBACK, but that requires having an OFFLINE INSTALLER on deck to perform the rollback, and not many have access an offline installer.  In fact, I had to LOOK AROUND for the last release in order to install it with my WiFi settings disabled, in order to change some settings BEFORE updating my virus definitions, while KEEPING my copy of Avast 12.3.2280 without getting updated to the current build.

I am sure Avast's developing team is aware of the problem, but we've yet to find a proper solution, that has so many users wailing in despair over their Graphical UI not performing properly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:36:02 AM by Dr. Kosher »

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:57 PM »
I spoke too soon.....Behaviour Shield hasn't started with next boot up either - same error. Hopefully this will be fixed...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
If I remember correctly there is a post from a avast member saying the behavior shield will not work on XP because of the limitations of the OS.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
Thanks for your reply Eddy.

It's an intermittent problem. Most of the time it does work - I see aswidsagent.exe in Task Manager, Avast notifies "Your system is secured"......but sometimes it fails to start - odd?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:33:13 PM by alicia.rose »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
If I remember correctly there is a post from a avast member saying the behavior shield will not work on XP because of the limitations of the OS.

How do you explain that the Behaviour Shield is installed, enabled, running and no error messages, etc. on my XP Pro SP3 system.

Of course there is a possibility that it is up and running, but who knows if it actually catches anything as that system (desktop) and my browsing, internet activities aren't high risk.
Windows 10 Home 2004 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 20.9.2437 (build 20.9.5758.0) UI-1.0.579/ WinPatrol+/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 12:57:49 PM »
Dave is right, behavior shield is supported on XP.
Win 8.1 [x64] - Avast PremSec 20.10.2440.Beta#3 [UI.580] - CC 5.74 - EEK - FF ESR 78.5 [NS/AOS/uBO/PB] - TB 78.5 - SB/CP/SL/DU.B
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
Must be something else that is not supported on XP than.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
Must be something else that is not supported on XP than.
Provide a link and I/we can confirm/deny it.
Win 8.1 [x64] - Avast PremSec 20.10.2440.Beta#3 [UI.580] - CC 5.74 - EEK - FF ESR 78.5 [NS/AOS/uBO/PB] - TB 78.5 - SB/CP/SL/DU.B
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 01:35:28 PM »
Maybe the agent sometimes tries to open before a windows service?
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
Did you tried "to load avast services only after windows services"

However , behavior shield is supported on my 2 winXP too.

Offline alicia.rose

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 02:28:14 PM »
Thanks for the help / comments.

chris05 - I will try that..... :)

I hope the UI issue gets fixed soon for those affected by it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:22:46 PM by alicia.rose »

Offline Tobur

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 03:34:27 PM »
Thanks for the help / comments.

chris05 - I will try that..... :)

I hope the UI issue gets fixed soon for those affected by it.

I have scoured the posts concerning Avast 17.3.2291 - UI Failed to load on Windows XP SP3 and found  various 'hints' and slightly vague comments (e.g. we must have patience) - a kind of "Live horse and you'll get grass" attitude. Can somebody reassure us (there are so many in the same boat) that Avast are working on a fix which will be issued in the near future? None of the solutions suggested so far have worked.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »
I wonder what the systems that are facing the problem have in common.

Offline Dr. Kosher

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 07:41:37 PM »
This has me wondering similarly, Eddy.  My Dell Precision M6400 Mobile Workstation isn't THAT OLD to the point where programs that ARE supported on Windows XP CAN'T RUN based on MY PROCESSOR, as it's classified as an SSE2 processor.

I'm fully aware that program developers that continue to support Windows XP are aiming towards SSE2 compliant processors, but most machines, running Windows XP don't, at least to my knowledge HAVE an SSE2 compliant processor chip in them.

You COULD always make the switch to a Linux-based operating system, and install WINE to run your old Windows applications, but the chances of them successfully running is slim, BUT that's a different topic for another day.

I, as MANY OTHERS on here ALSO hope that this issue gets resolved, or I may as well be switching to an alternative antivirus program.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »
I've tested things in a VM with different hardware emulations, but haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

I have to guess here ofcourse, but I would say it has to do with specific hardware.
Processor type/model or something like that.

Or with certain installed software (updates).
In this case I'm thinking about software that has to do with the OS.
Like things as VB updates, (security) updates and such.

But as I said, it is only a guess.

About the SSE2 support...
It took avast at about a year(!) before they mentioned it on their website after I reported that their software wasn't working on all systems with XP (SP3) installed.
And I did told them the problem was the lack of SSE2 instructions support on many old(er) systems.