Author Topic: Boost RAM why?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
Boost RAM why?
« on: April 12, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
There is a boost RAM function in AMS why? It makes no sense and is bloatware of the highest order so why include it in the first place?
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Boost RAM why?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »
Claiming to boost ram is indeed completely BS.
A much better and more correct description would be, "optimizing the ram usage" or something like that in my opinion.

Next to that, avast (as well as all others) is not mentioning the fact that every tool is using system resources making a system slowing down.

So one question is "are those so called optimizers" bring a user something ?
After testing many of such tools, I say "yes some of them do"

But basically the real question is "does a user notice the difference?"
The answer to that is every time a big NO.
Kinda like walking 40km and 40,001km.
Is there a difference ?
Sure there is, but you will not notice it.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:08 AM »
Yes I hear you most, no sorry all RAM cleaners are rubbish. System files use RAM which get immediately restarted anyway so what's it clearing really? 

It's snake oil as Android now does such a good job of managing it's own RAM it makes no sense to use one anyway.

AMS is increasingly becoming bloatware between that and the charging booster which is a  :'( shame.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:55:08 AM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »
Another change is coming.
AT will be part of AMS Pro and not free anymore. >:(

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »
I am part of the beta program and a premium user.  Something so integral to security Avast is now making it a premium only service?  That's messed up!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:12:45 AM by patrice58 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
Ofcourse avast (as a commercial company) wants and need to make money, but it would not surprise me if they will loose a lot of users because things like this leaving them with less earnings.

I also have my doubt about the reason for removing the statistics in the AV for pc's.
They say it wasn't working correctly.
After the debacle with the introduction of the SafeZone Browser for users of the free version, you could see the users drop with 20-30 million.
Ofcourse it can be coincidence but it sure makes me wonder why they removed the statistics right at the time when massive amounts of users where abandoning avast and not earlier or much later.
If they really didn't worked properly, they haven't for years and only when they where loosing those user they noticed it... ???

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »
I was possibly the one person that liked the SafeZone browser but yeah they could of introduced it better that's for sure. Having it as a forced update upset a lot of people and rightly so.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »
Indeed.
The problem wasn't with the SafZone Browser itself, but with the way they it was introduced.
No announcement up-front or when installing it at all.

Support through the ticket system is gone for free users.
Not a single word from avast about it.
People have to find out the hard way.

Same as with the free license for educational institutions as well as with the free cloud version for businesses.
Both where suddenly gone without a word from avast.

Phone support also down the drain.
A few things where free, now only it is the diagnosis.
Again not a single word from avast about the change.

Makes you wonder what is needed and how long it takes before avast learns a lesson on communicating with the users about things like this.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
Wow so many things that were once free that is now paid for. When will they take notice? Possibly when they start to loose lots of customers. Then they won't have any choice but too.