Author Topic: WoW and Gamerhook  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Drachling

WoW and Gamerhook
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
Slowly Avast is getting somewhat annoying, all this nonsense I never asked for, like SaveZone Browser being installed as regular "update" etc, but at least one can simply ignore it.

But now there's this new one, GamerHook, which simply makes gaming impossible.

I was wondering why I had so low FPS, I had trouble logging out of my characters (WoW freezed then, task bar kill), I had trouble with updating WoW, I was already thinking that the installation was damaged or even that my Win installation was broke.

Then I found a thread in the blizzard forums, where literally hundreds of people reported about weird behavior of their game, similar to mine. Finally someone came up with this new "feature" of Avast being the culprit. And after deinstalling it, all the trouble vanished into thin air, I could run an update, I have back normal FPS, and I can log through my characters without WoW freezing.

But now there's the next trouble:
Avast claims that I'm vulnerable, because this one module is disabled.

Srsly guys, I used to really love your product, but it started to be annoying when flashing ad popups into the fullscreen games, all this not asked for crap being installed, and now this?  >:(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: WoW and Gamerhook
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »
Please post in the correct forum and provide details.
Likely > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Drachling

Re: WoW and Gamerhook
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »
Maybe move it into the appropiate forum then?

What details? It's blocking WoW from functioning correctly, steals massively FPS, prevents it from being updated, and makes Windows freeze when trying to log out from a character, producing the win-error "WoW cant communicate with Windows anymore".

Look, I never asked for this "feature", and what I really find incredibly annoying, since I uninstalled it, that Avast now claims that I'm vulnerable because of this module being not installed. And continues spamming popups into full screen programs.

It's more a feedback than anything else. But all this addware and things like that make me really think about looking out for another antivirus. After being a 5+ years very happy user. Most of all things I liked that it really only worked in background apart from the occasional update. But this is being replaced step by step with annoying stuff, each time I have to disable downloading Chrome, it installs addware (SaveZone Browser) as a "regular" update without noticing me about it, and this misleading buttons in update, trying to make me download the pay-for version, this annoying and quite uninformative thing about my pc performance stuff, which too tries to sell me the paid-for version.

See, I understand that companies want to earn money 'n stuff, but it's getting too much of "acceptable" stuff for a free version, y'know.

Cheers
Drachling