Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 6171 times)

OMFG

HELP!!!!
« on: March 22, 2006, 03:57:30 AM »
Ok hi everyone,I'm new here,anyway,i need help. recently i downloaded avast! home edition and installed it. it screwed up my computer,maybe my computer's has the wrong requirement or something,my computer froze after every restart since it was installed. so i had to restart my computer then,shut down avast from the task manager then system restore then delete all the avast files because when i tried to uninstall it,the computer freezes. NOW HERE'S A SECONDARY PROBLEM,since i system restored then deleted all the avast! files(a improper way to uninstall a program). something tells me some files are leaved behind that are not in the program file folder or something. everytime i start command.com or cmd this message appears :

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
C:\P0program Files]Alwil software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll. An installable virtual Device Driver Failed Dll initialization. Choose 'close' to terminate the application."

and i have no idea how to fix this,i searched a lot of websites for solution but i can't find any ways to fix this online. so does anyone know how to fix this and tell me please,thanks :( :( ??? :-X :'( :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
By deleting all avast files, you will have removed the information avast need to be able to uninstall and then add remove programs (which you should have used first) will fail.

Avast Uninstall Utility, find it here.

All of this stems from an improper deletion of avast rather than using add remove programs, some registry entries, devices drivers, etc. outside of the avast program folder will be let behind. Hopefully the avast uninstall utility will clear-up, you may need to create the avast program folders in 'Program files/Alwil Software/avast4'

Did you have another AV installed on the system (or did you), if so what ?
Having two resident AVs installed on a system can cause conflict, which could cause a system lock-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 06:30:24 PM »

Welcome to the forums, OMFG.    :)

AND, if you had a previous anti-virus program, it is very possible that left over files/registry entries could have caused the problem in the first place and that would not be a fault of avast. Norton/Symantec & McAfee (along with others) are very bad about leaving crap behind when normal uninstall precedures are followed ... not to mention what would be left behind from improper uninstall methods.

If you would be kind enough to give us anymore information, I feel sure that someone here will be able to help you with getting Avast to work properly on your computer. Avast works with all Windows versions back to W98SE. There is also a version of Avast for Linux OS, PDA's, etc.

pepeaida

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:58:37 PM »
Many moons ago I had similar trouble with Zero Knowledge(Freedom) AV, I was told to remove all leftovers and any others from previous programs with Windows Unistall Program.
This program removes on permanent basis all traces of any programs, its free and if used with care, will be of great help..
Luck

OMFG

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:43:09 AM »
no,i didnt install other avast software only the home edition one and since it freezes my computer,i dont bother installing another avast product. anyways, i downloaded a software from download.com called a installation file maker or creator,well i used it and made a cheap installation file just for testing and everytime the installation is complete it opens up the command.com and pops the same message.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:46:37 AM by OMFG »

OMFG

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 01:51:34 AM »
HEY IT HELPED THE COMMAND.COM STOP POPING THE ERROR MESSAGE ANYMORE,THANKS FOR HELPING ME  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 04:03:52 AM »

Well, David, Pepe, nor I never asked if you installed other avast software. Where did you get that from???    ???

Please read our above posts again.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 04:08:11 AM by CharleyO »

OMFG

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 04:58:58 AM »
what? i dont get what your saying,my computer reformatted a few times,so i dont think it works good as before

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »
We were asking about other AVs like Norton, McAfee, previously installed before avast, etc. as these may be likely to cause conflict (that is why we asked), not other avast products. avast! only has Home or Pro version for Windows OS and you can't have them both installed on the same system, unless you had a dual boot system and you only mentioned Home version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

OMFG

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 12:20:31 AM »
well i had norton before,after it was uninstalled like a long time ago,then i tried avg anti virus whiches not a good product and pc tools avti virus,tried mcafee antivirus too but i dont use them no more...the command.com problem was occured a long time ago till i found out this site and asked for help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 01:37:32 AM »
Well Norton can be harder to get rid of than a virus, as many threads on these forums can attest to. This link is for a program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Worth running if you haven't done a manual registry clean-up, etc. after uninstalling it.

OMFG

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 05:40:46 AM »
ya i runed the tool seemed work,but im not trying the avast again,dont wanna start the computer-freezing nightmare again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 06:29:56 PM »
The computer freezing nightmare was more than likely a direct result of conflict with remaining debris. There are times when I'm not convinced this isn't a tactic to stop people migrating from NAV ;D

If you don't try you will never know why it happened and still be blaming avast.

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 07:07:53 PM »

OMFG,

The freezing of your computer was not the fault of Avast but was the fault of anything Norton/Symantec not uninstalling correctly. I will go a little farther than David and say that I feel sure that certain AV programs leave behind junk files/registry entries so that people who (like you) do not know better will think they can not install another AV product. This is a sorry, unprofessional tactic that has been used for more than 5 years by certain AV companies.

So, if you want to blame someone/something for freezing your computer, at least find out and realize the real cause before pointing a finger.

OMFG

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 03:12:52 AM »
im not really blaming but im just scare the nightmare will begin again,its hard to fix it yourelf when it freezes all the time but anyway thanks for the help fixing my command.com problem