Author Topic: Dial-up Update issue  (Read 2848 times)

balrog

Dial-up Update issue
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:32:30 PM »
I have a dial-up connection to the internet. I have checked the setting in the Program Settings as "dial-up" and update frequency every 30 Minutes. Anyway, I never had an automatic update. It might be, I stay connected just for 5-10 Minutes for each session. I already checked the avast4.ini setting under:
[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
AssumeAlwaysConnected=0
UpdatePeriod=30
I have tried to shorten the 30 Minutes, e.g. 5 Minutes, but AVAST resets the UpdatePeriod to 30. So I have been forced to update manually.
Anyone can give me a piece of advice? ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Dial-up Update issue
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:55:11 PM »
I use a dial-up connect and have no problems and basically left the avast4.ini settings as defaults.
[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
AssumeAlwaysConnected=0

The update period shouldn't be there and avast will stop it being any lower than 30 minutes any way as you have found.

With dial-up avast will check for updates each time you connect and after 4 hours continuously on-line or shorter if you have set "UpdatePeriod=30." Then it would check every 30 minutes which is a little unrealistic, especially for dial-up connections and what I said about avast checking every time you connect.

Are you getting any error messages ?
Check these images for my settings, I want avast to check for updates and notify me of them but only download if I say so, which I usually do as they are usually so small.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

balrog

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 09:44:50 PM »
Thanks for yr reply. Everything seems to be identical to your settings, with a slight difference under the "Update basic" settings (Automatic and not Ask when update is available).
I set the "Update connection" as Automatic and not Ask ....
The Update frequency was originally 240, now I have changed it as every 30 Minutes.
I have no error messages in the AVAST Registry.
Operating System XP Pro - Avast Version 4.6.763 Home Edition.
Just one question: How often do you get the notify message from Avast during your Internet connection? More or less than 30 Minutes?
Do you mean, I have to erase the line "UpdatePeriod=30" from the avast4.ini file?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 11:25:40 PM »
Mine is set to 240 the default as in the image (there really isn't any need to change that), you only get notified if there is an update available. Dial-up has so many issues, poor connection speed, dropped connection, etc. and these are most likely to happen when you have just connected that it doesn't warrant setting it to automatic. Now if this happens when avast is checking for an update and you lose the connection you will get an error in the avast update routine, this throws many people as they think it is a problem with avast, rather than their connection.

Now you have the line, leave it and change it back to the default 240 using the same interface you used to change it to 30.

The VPS updates (or iAVS Update using manual update function) occur about 3-4 times per week, however there have been on occasion 3-4 in a day depending on serious virus activity on the internet.

Further to your original post:
Anyway, I never had an automatic update. It might be, I stay connected just for 5-10 Minutes for each session.
How long was it that you waited, days, weeks, that you didn't get an auto update (bearing in mind the frequency I mentioned, there might not have been one. Because your connections are so short I would suggest that you switch to 'Ask when an update is available' that way you know one is available and don't disconnect prematurely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 11:54:41 PM »
How often do you get the notify message from Avast during your Internet connection? More or less than 30 Minutes?
Do you mean, I have to erase the line "UpdatePeriod=30" from the avast4.ini file?
To Home version , any value lower than 240 will be ignored...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10264#msg10264
The best things in life are free.

balrog

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 10:30:20 PM »
Thanks for yr suggestions.
I am going to set the UpdatePeriod back to 240 and switch to "Ask when an Update is available".
In the next weeks I will get from my local provider a flat DSL connection always-
on - so this issue will be solved  ;)