Author Topic: Can't register  (Read 8484 times)

wincup6

Re: Can't register
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
And this also in google:

6. Advanced and power-user: The following advanced features are not included in Windows XP Home Edition:

* Remote Desktop Service
    * Multiprocessor support
    * Multilanguage user interface
    * Start menu option to show administrative tools
    * Internet Information Services (IIS)

wincup6

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »
And this:

6488 » Windows XP Home Edition errors when using 'Control Userpasswords2' to add a user? 28-Mar-03

When you use Start / Run / control userpasswords2 / OK to add a user in Windows XP Home Edition, you receive errors similar to:

The user could not be added because the following error has occurred, The group name could not be found: When creating a new user and make it member of the 'Power Users' group.

The group membership for <ComputerName\UserName> could not be updated : When updating an existing user, adding him to the 'Power Users group'.

DO NOT use the Userpasswords2 applet to add or modify users in Windows XP Home Edition. This tool is reserved for Windows XP Professional Edition.

The Userpasswords2 applet allows access to the Power Users group which is NOT a built-in group in Windows XP Home Edition.

To add or edit a user in Windows XP Home Edition, use Control Panel / User Accounts, which does NOT show the Power Users group.

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 09:32:14 PM »

What's the date on that info, wincup6? I ask because I have access to administrative tools from Start menu with my XP Home while in admin account. Also, is your XP Home updated to SP2?    ???

As for Remote Desktop Service, the below is from a MS webpage published on October 25, 2001 at this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

And, yes, I checked ... RDS is on my XP Home computer.    :)

Note The Remote Desktop Connection software is pre-installed with Windows XP. To run it, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform. To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection.

But really, all that is not the point of your post, is it? So, let us get back to the problem you have.    :)

To cure your problem, you need to go back to having only one administrator account. After that, we can advance forward to solve your problem.    :)

wincup6

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 09:47:58 PM »
CharleyO, Thanks for your patients. I have changed my wife's account to make her a  limited user. Lets start from the beginning... When my computer comes on there is my name and my wifes name. No Admin. I can find Admin in safe mode but unsure what to do from there. All of the other thing that have been discussed has not worked to this point. Please help if can. I really like Avast but i will be forced to drop it if i can't get it run on all accounts that  will be used. like I said I have 2 children who like to get on the net and I want Avast to help protect my computer

CharleyO

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 11:19:48 PM »

OK, at this point, I suppose it is best to do as David suggested in this post ......

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20073.msg168198#msg168198

That should succeed in making Avast work for all accounts.

wincup6

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 12:32:41 AM »
Doesn't work!!  Tried it twice! :'(

marie peacock

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 10:02:01 PM »
I have had avast since 10/02/2009, and over the past two days it is telling me I need to renew.  I have a two year contract. what is going on.  my liscense key # is w20883970r2600a0911-89fr7uec.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 12:26:56 AM »
Please remove your key from the post as it exposes it to harvesting.

Check your system date, day/month/year and adjust as required.

What is the update/license expiry date in the about avast details ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security