Author Topic: Password Protection Nightmare  (Read 6152 times)

REDACTED

Password Protection Nightmare
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
I have always had trouble remembering my passwords. It got worse when they stopped reminding you what your password was and started making you make up an entirely new one. I thought Avast Password Protection would save me and I bought the premium software. Like I said, my memory is bad, so I don't remember if I was forced to choose a master password or if it was optional, but the same day I bought the software was the last day it was of much use to me. It did remember my current passwords but I can't add new ones, change them or get inside to review them. I'm locked out for the same reason I bought the software in the first place: I have a bad memory. You don't remember master passwords. It's been many months (I don't remember) possibly almost a year, but I'm fed up. Do you have password protection for customers with bad memories? Can you recommend another product? Yours is practically useless to me and has been since I bought it. A waste of this senior citizen's limited money.

It's ironic because it remembers my password for logging onto Avast or I wouldn't be here.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:04:30 AM by forgetful1 »

REDACTED

Re: Password Protection Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
Nobody has an answer? Maybe I can deactivate the password protection? Maybe delete the whole program and redownload it without the password part?? Help!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »
Well, the password tools are for those with bad minds.
You only have to remember one password to access and/or use all the others.

If you can't remember it, you can still retrieve the password if you had synchronization enabled.
If synchronization wasn't enabled, you need to use the email with the retrieval link.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:50:39 AM »
I don't know what synchronization is, let alone if it was enabled. How do I find out? What is the email with the retrieval link? So you are saying there is a way out of this trap? Tell me about the email link, please. And thank you for replying.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:02:26 AM »
I love that I turned on my computer today and all my passwords are gone. Not even my master password was saved. I called them, they told me it was my machine and then tried to up-selling me to the computer clean up package instead of just telling me I'm shit out of luck. I even bought the 10 dollar extra password package. Never buying their products again. It's my computer supposedly and telling me Chromium and computer-z is the problem. A developer browser and a CPU monitoring software? get real. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »
avast doesn't have a number that you can call.
You called a third party that handles only a small amount of things for avast.
Problems with avast passwords is not one of them.
https://www.avast.com/en-us/total-care

If you had synchronization enabled, you still have a chance to retrieve the passwords.
You can also retrieve them is you have a backup.