Author Topic: Avast Free V17 creates error on starting other programs.  (Read 1211 times)

Offline shimmyghost

Avast Free V17 creates error on starting other programs.
« on: April 15, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »
Trying to update Avast Free from V12 to V17, but that ends up with errormessage "The application failed to initialize properly (0xC0000005)" (in dutch "kan toepassing niet correct starten") on most of the programs (or maybe on all) that are being started during boot.
This happens on my desktop in W7 Pro (MS updates up-to-date) and on a laptop in W10 Home, also up to date. Both systems got stuck, dead as a horse.
I still have XP Pro Sp3 on my desktop and in there the Avast update did not give any problems.
I searched the net for a solution and found a topic somewhere mentioning that possibly one or more MS updates might cause this problem, like  Windows Security Update KB3126587 and KB3126593. Advised was to uninstall those two and try the Avast update once more. So I did, on my W7 Pro desktop.
Avast itself seemed to work ok, but one way or the other my Comodo Firewall was totally en completely messed up. I did not keep track of all the shit I got, but even my multiboot definitions were ruined.
I managed to get rid of all the mess and on my desktop (after image restores) I'm back on Avast Free 12.3.2280 (build 12.3.3154.23), the last V12 version I think.
Next step was to try to install on the laptop ie W10 Home build 1607. I did NOT uninstall any MS updates, and (as expected) there also the Avast update failed. Initially it looked OK, but after a reboot I got the same problem (0xC0000005) also.
I noticed that on the laptop I seemed to have a mixed Avast version: 17.3.2291 (build 12.3.3154.23). No idea how and when that has happened. I used Avastclear and found out that a sort of multiboot has been created, which brings up an extra question: does this "multiboot" in any way interfere with an existing Multiboot system as I have on my desktop? That would not be a nice situation I think.
Anyways, on the laptop just one OS installed, so no problem.
But clearing avast on the laptop first did not bring me any further. I ended up with 0xC0000005 again. So again I had to go back to an image backup. The problem is that that image contains the mixed avast version. So after restoring I removed Avast totally, not using AvastClear but just WindowsPrograms and cleared the AvastProgramDirectory in Programs.
I then installed avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline_12.3.2280 (build 12.3.3154.0), since I don't have the 3154.23 file. So apart from not being up-to-date in the way of V12-V17, I'm also not up-to-date in V12 3154.0-3154.23. Can I find avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline_12.3.2280 (build 12.3.3154.23) anywhere, so I can kinda make up-to-date the laptop?
I have made a bunch of jpg's during the laptop-update, but I think that is to much to add to this topic.
Anyone ready to help me out??
Marcel